1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Backcourt in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GrEgOnOmIcS, Jun 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. striker

striker Member

Similar to what Barkley said, Nash and Van Exel or Francis and Mobley, instant offense ......

Both ways

2. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

You can't vote against Francis and Mobley just because you don't like them. Dallas' backcourt is arguable because I see Francis as a better asset than Steve Nash, and Finley takes ridiculious shots like Mobley but he has Dirk to make up for his mistakes.

3. Franchise4Life

I certainly agree with the first half of your statement. Francis is way better than Nash and does way more things. But Finley doesnt take nearly as many bad shots as Cat and he has better stats overall and is a much better defender. Finley is a real star, Cuttino is a wanna be star. "Edge to Dallas by a very fine hair" With JVG as the coach though, I give the edge to the Rockets by a lot!

That said...best backcourt in the league is...

LEBRON JAMES AND RICKY DAVIS!! haha.

But in all honesty I go with Kobe and Derek Fisher. Kobe is the best player in the league, hands down, in my opinion of course ;)

4. striker

striker Member

When you consider both ends of the court, offense and defense, there are only two backcourts in the running, Payton and Cassells and Iverson and Snow. Payton is likely to be relocating. If Payton ends up in LA we have a new winner.

5. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Sorry could help but laugh at this statement. By way more things did you mean way more ways to turn the ball over?? :D Last 2 years Francis has been voted to the all-star game by the fans, while Nash has been selected by the coaches. Nash was on the All NBA Team 3rd team 2 years in a row. How many time has francis been on the All NBA team again??? Remind me again how many playoff games Francis has played to while you're at it. ;)

6. farhan007

farhan007 Member

Its becasue Francis is in a weird position. Since he is a great talent he is better than Nash. But Nash is a better true pg. Francis though is a sg. If he was an sg he could make 2nd team. And when he says he does more stuff than Nash he means this:
    Steve Francis
    PPG 21.0
    RPG 6.20
    APG 6.2
    EFF + 21.32

Steve Nash
    PPG 17.7
    RPG 2.90
    APG 7.3
    EFF + 19.01

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

If Grant Hill gets healthy and the Magic go to their big lineup, it won't even be close: Hill and McGrady. But that's a BIG if.

Discounting backcourts with one great player and one below-to-average player, like Orlando (Vaughn), like the Lakers (Fisher), like Boston (Bremer), I think the title of "best backcourt" has to go to one of these few teams:

Milwaukee (Cassell, Payton)
    Houston (Francis, Mobley)
    Dallas (Nash, Finley)
    Sacramento (Bibby, Christie)
    Phoenix (Marbury, Hardaway)

There's other teams with combos of potential (Golden State - Arenas, Richardson) or disappointment on one end (LA Clippers - A. Miller, Maggette/Richardson) or two good-but-not-great players (Seattle, Memphis, Detroit for example), but none approach the five above.

8. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

Mobley is one of the top 5 underrated players in the NBA, if the media or te fans understood the talent that houston fans take for granted he would be an all-star also.

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand you apologists. You want more of the same?

There's no possible way to win with that crap. Lotto 5, here we come.

10. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Sorry but this isn't true since guards are put on the All NBA team regardless of whether or not they play shooting guard or point guard. Based on talent alone.

This year.

1st team Bryant, McGrady
    2nd team Kidd, Iverson
    3rd team Nash, Marbury

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

do you ever actually see the shots finley takes? finley is to shooting what lil' kim is to sex, he'll "do it anywhere, anyhow, he's down for anything." and god help us if we're considering finley's shot selection before he had help in nash and dirk. made mad max look cautious. as far as defense, finley is in no way a "much better defender" than cat. he may be good, but so is cat. cat and finley are very close to each other in talent and skills.

and now from Xenogeears:

are you actually trying to be stupid enough to suggest francis wouldn't have made the team if not voted in by the fans? did you see any analyst have a list of all stars that didn't include francis or any of them that thought francis should not make the team altogether. judging by your posts in other threads, you do seem to be that stupid so i'll assume the same applies here.

and MFW2310 writes:

then i guess they've been on a 4 year luck streak.

as for the thread at hand, i'm not sure i say steve and cat are the best overall backcourt but i don't know anyone i straight out take over them either. mfclark has it right with his list of 5. i would probably put bibby/christie at the bottom though. don't have the great scorer the others do and christie is really only known for his D. the others it's arguable i think just depending on how you view the players.

now if we get to throw in the benches, well other teams have bobby jackson or nve, we have moochie:( . not really fair.

12. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

I agree 100 %, Kobe is just a glorified media meat puppet. He's good, but not that good. Shaq is responsible for 70% of Kobe's success.

13. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Ouch that hurts. :( Guess it's true that when a person knows they're wrong they resort to name calling. I'll give you Francis all-star appearance this year since he would have been voted in by coaches if and only IF nash was voted in ahead of him. If someone else got voted in and the coaches had to decide b/w Nash and Francis, I guarantee you that Nash would have been picked. Francis's all-star appearance last year was due strictly to fans voting him in since he was injured for most of it, the coaches wouldn't have voted him in.

14. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Talent-wise, you've gotta go with Houston. Francis (already a star) and Mobley (20-point guy) are young and getting better. They couldn't guard their own shadows, but they're learning.

The best tandem that already gets results has to be Nash/Finley. They don't have the long-term potential that Francis/Mobley have, but they have proven their playoff mettle.

Which backcourt would I rather have NEXT YEAR? Gotta say Dallas. Nash and Finley are smart, savvy veterans who know how to play. Of course, if Payton goes to the Lakers (a long shot, but not out of the question), this answer is totally different.

Which backcourt would I rather have for the next 5-7 years? Houston in a walk. Francis has the potential to be one of the best players in the NBA, and Mobley could score 20/night for ten years.

15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

It's fair, and it's why Houston is borderline top 5 at best.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i just meant it's not fair that moochie norris has to be on my team.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i find it incredibly ironic that the "stop posting" guy would start such a thread like this. ooohh, how original and well thought out! no one has ever started such a compelling thread before!:rolleyes: this little nugget of profound insight truly deserved its own thread.

...you should follow your own advice.

18. Franchise4Life

Thank you. Steve is a much better player than Nash. He is a better scorer, rebounder, and Nash plays with Dirk and Finley, not hard to get 7 assists throwing it to them. Also you have to take into account style of play of both teams. Mavs free-wheeling style has always been point guard friendly. Remember Golden State back in the TMC days? Hardaway had some of the most ridiculous stats for a PG. If you did a poll around the league among players who the better player is, Francis would win in a landslide. But I like Nash hes a very good player, Francis is simply more talented and complete. In my opinion Van Exel is the better between him and Nash, it was Nick who almost single handily ruined Sacramento in the playoffs and lit up Portland in the first round. I mean there are a lot of Steve Haters in here so I can understand if you are sleeping on him.

19. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

The difference between Nash and Francis is that Nash uses his, mind, quick feet, ball moviment and passing, as weapons.

While Francis just uses his speed, quickness and jumping ablity as weapons.

If Francis could learn to run the team like Nash, Francis would be the complete PG.

Even right now, Francis one-on-one could destroy Nash just based on pure athletic talent.

Nash will not improve on an althetlic sense. But he could fine-tune his mental game over the next few years. But not by much. We've pretty much seen the best that Nash will ever get.

Francis will not improve on althetic sense, but he as a lot of room to grow on the mental game. And if that happens, Francis would be unstoppable.

He has the physical tools, it up to Francis to take care of the mental tools.

20. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

That's the comment i always see people use to knock nash. It can be turned on it's head and u could say Dirk and Fin are so good because of Nash and he makes them better.

I'll give francis the rebounding edge, the scoring only slightly. The diff in scoring isn't that much and if you notice Nash takes the least amount of shots out of the big 3 becaue he's a pass first point guard. While Francis makes himself the first option (which should change next season) and takes more shots.

The only clear edge I will give francis is the rebounding and dunking.