1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Besides Tim Duncan, who is the....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HOOP-T, May 6, 2003.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

..most well rounded, most fundamentally sound player in the NBA?

Just to clean up the discussion, let's do it by position. Here's my picks:

PG - Jason Kidd
    SG - Tough one, but I go with Ray Allen
    SF - Another tough one - I'd say Grant Hill but since he's been hurt much of his last two years,
    PF - Karl Malone comes to mind since I cannot pick Tim D., but I don't like him. So I go with Garnett or Webber.
    C - Ilgauskas, Sabonis, Yao, Divac (interesting, all foreigners)

#1 HOOP-T, May 6, 2003
    Last edited: May 6, 2003
  2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Jason Kidd is far from fundamentally sound. Besides leading the league in turnovers per game, his jumper his horrendous...Since Stockton is retired, I'd to with Mike Bibby as most fundamentally sound point guard...The other selections are solid...

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

PG: stockton but he is retired, so i vote for Bibby
    Sg: ray Allen, his shot is so beautiful
    Sf: i like the idea of Hill, but he never plays ennymore, so i wil go with Eddie Jones
    PF: garnett
    Center: sabonis, Although his shot is ugly

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

PG--I'd vote for Stockton too, if he hadn't retired. The second one at the PG position that comes to mind is Gary Payton.

SG--As much as I hate it, I think Kobe is the best all around SG. His fundamentals aren't bad.

SF--Eddie Jones is a SG. I'd take Garnett if you count him as a SF. If not, Mashburn should be considered.

PF--I'd take Garnett if you count him as a PF. If not, Webber is OK.

C--Yao Ming, Divac, Ilgauskas, Sabonis, Gasol, etc. . . about all the foreign big men. . . :D

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Your observation about Kidd not being fundamentally sound is far from right. ;)

How do turnovers factor into being fundamanetally sound? When I say fundamentally sound, I am talking about the overall versatility of the player, the ability to be good at a lot of things, well rounded, and all-around player. Kidd is EXACTLY that. Of course he is up there in turnovers, he has the ball in his hands most of the time. That's what PG's do.

Jason Kidd 03:

Ranks #1 in the NBA in Assists Per Game(8.9) Ranks #5 in the NBA in Steals Per Game(2.24)
    Ranks #17 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Made(126.0) Ranks #13 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goal Attempts(370.0)
    Ranks #1 in the NBA in Assists(711.0) Ranks #5 in the NBA in Steals(179.0)
    Ranks #11 in the NBA in Double-doubles(31.0) Ranks #3 in the NBA in Triple-doubles(4.0)
    Ranks #5 in the NBA in Assists Per 48 Minutes(11.4) Ranks #6 in the NBA in Steals Per 48 Minutes(2.87)
    Ranks #2 in the NBA in Total Turnovers(296.0) Ranks #9 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(1825.0)
    Ranks #13 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking(22.81) Ranks #11 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(29.31)
    Ranks #1 in the NBA in Turnovers Per Game(3.7) Ranks #4 in the NBA in Turnovers Per 48 Minutes(4.75)

That knock on him about his jumper barely holds water anymore. That's something the Kidd haters like to hang onto just to be able to knock him somehow. This year is his highest scoring average ever, and that's thanks largely to him having improved his jumper. Sure, he's not a great shooter, but neither are a lot of upper echelon point guards. The point is that Kidd does a lot of things very well...

6. HakeemdaDream

HakeemdaDream Member

Next year i truly believe Yao Ming will emerge as the 2nd best well rounded player in the NBA

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

overall defense, rebounding, passing, dribbling, shooting, creating, playmaking, and everything relative to position...

Duncan
    Webber
    Garnett
    Malone
    Kidd
    Payton
    McGrady
    Kobe
    Pierce
    Divac

and maybe Ray Allen...but I just don't watch him enough to comment about his defense with these guys.

with a nod to retirees Jordan and Stockton

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

PG 'Dre Miller - Okay he had a bad season but he will recover. He has no flash he just gets the job done. He put up great stats with cleveland thats how good he is

SG Ray Allen- No debate here imo.

SF Pippen- Most of us hate him but he plays amazing when hes healthy.

PF- If not Duncan than maybe Elton Brand He is a true PF rebounds and is unselfish.

C Sabonis- The only reason why he is still a effective player is his fundementals and his smarts. Yao is not to far behind he can easily have this spot this time next year

Interesting Topic

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

KG all the way. What a dominating player, can go right through double/triple teams and swish the shot.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Kidd takes a lot of chances on the fastbreak so the number of TO's is misleading.

The Nets averaged 9 FB baskets per game over the season. Let's say that for every 9 baskets, the Nets screw up the break 1/4th of the time. That's conservatively 2 TO's/game that could be entirely attributed to the break. And Kidd is leading the break 90% of the time.

When comparing Kidd's TO's to Francis's TO's, it's an apples and oranges comparison IMO.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

His NBA First Team defense offsets his lack of pure shooting. Plus, he can actually burn people who back off him, because he knows the game thoroughly, and can dribble penetrate like nobody's business.

You back off him, and he can call a pick in roll from 10' then.

As a PG, he doesn't let his shooting hurt his team, imo.

anyhow, shooting aside, the measure of the PG position is how good his makes his teammates.

13. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Yao Ming IS ONE OF THE MOST FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND.

Just......we don't use him right here.

We know he can shoot.......but we never let him shoot!

He's a great pure....well I am exaggerating....but at least sometimes....when he is super wide open by himself facing the basket with the ball. He should just shoot it. He can make it. Stop looking to pass! :) And when he is posting up....he should be looking to pass......but don't let the other guy steal the ball. ;)

Hmm...Jason Kidd is pretty fundamental to me.

Not fundamental is Cuttino Mobley. Well fine he is.....OH YEAH!

EDDIE GRIFFIN. Haha. Least fundamental.

Kevin Garnett yes.
    Shane Battier kinda.
    Mike Bibby yes.
    Most European players yes.

14. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think that this post should erase all doubt.

KeepJuaquin = littley

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Steve Francis.

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

PG : Payton.
    SG : Jordan - he still counts.
    SF : Garnett
    PF : Webber
    C : Shaquille O'Neal - better footwork than any center in the game right now, better passer than anyone but Sabonis - an intimidating force on the defensive end. More fundamentally sound than any other center out there.

17. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

PG: GP
    SG: Ray Allen
    SF: Garnett
    PF: C-Webb
    C: YAO