1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bernie Sanders at Hoffheinz at U of H Sunday Night !!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Austin sucks, please don't move here.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It only sucks to live there. Visiting is great.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I admire that he calls things as he seems them, but I don't think his solutions are any good. I was invited to this event and didn't go. Was hoping to attend just to mack on some naive idealistic college girls.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's not evil that corporations want to exploit workers for maximum profit, it's just their nature, they will do it if they can. What stops them from doing it is a majority of the people saying they can't. That is democracy in action; government by the people for the people ... it's our nature to do so.

Don't be brainwashed that it's some kind of freedom for them to exploit people and government. They own the public relations firms that make that seem true.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a really good line to hook the naive. Those making less than 15 bucks an hour look at it as if it would be giving them raise....instead of the reality where it makes them poorer. You can essentially buy almost the entire poor vote with foolish things like that.

6. rage

rage Member

You are funny. Care to explain that logic?

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If most of the difference comes out of overseas corporate tax dodge stashes and into American circulation all boats will rise. It's money in circulation that builds national wealth.

8. Major

Major Member

Real life history disagrees with you. Every time there is an increase in minimum wage, the absolute and relative buying power of the poor increases. It's happened over and over and over, and all the fearmongering has been wrong. There's no crazy inflation, businesses don't just stop hiring, etc. That said, there are obviously caveats:

1. There is an upper limit where this stops working. However, given that the minimum wage today is far lower on an inflation-adjusted basis that it was in the past, we don't appear anywhere near that point.

2. $15 is dumb. It was picked a nice round number, but that's a bad way to make policy. There's no particular economic reason that $15 is idea. It's like Herman Cain's 9-9-9 taxplan. Instead, we should figure out what the minimum wage actually should be (it probably won't be a nice round number), and aim for that and then tie to inflation going forwad.

9. Major

Major Member

Sorry for the increasing typos - my keyboard is slowly dying and I don't proofread as much as I should.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

People are still buying this anti-minimum wage trickle down nonsense? Really?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, say you make 14 bucks an hour right now, you make significantly over minimum wage...move the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour and you are now a minimum wage worker that is broke as hell....in fact, just to break even you'd have to get a raise to $23.55 an hour....a raise that almost certainly won't be coming.

If you are a current minimum wage worker, you'll get a temporary relief, but once prices react to the increase in labor costs, you will be back broke again.

Think of it this way, you could make the minimum wage $100 an hour and people making that would still be broke as hell because everything would cost a LOT more.

12. rage

rage Member

You are saying, if you raise minimum wage, then prices increase, which makes you are poorer? Interesting.

1) How about lower minimum wage, would prices decrease and make all those people richer? Maybe we could try that?

2) How about raising wages for engineers? Would that make them poorer also?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm saying that people at the minimum wage will always be poor. The more people you force to be minimum wage employees, the worse off everyone is.

The free market tends to find an equilibrium, if you try and dick with that, it usually ends poorly for those at the bottom.

14. rage

rage Member

There is nothing natural about minimum wages. You are just regurgitate what Fox news feeds you. Just think a little about it for yourself and see if you can answer my questions.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a simple minded response, but in a Bernie Sanders thread, I didn't really expect more.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

^If anyone is wondering what type of person votes for Donald Trump, we have found them. BigTexx and Bobbythegreat are proof that those poles aren't fake. There are actual real live people this stupid who honestly think they are smart, speaking in this way. It's amazing to watch.

17. rage

rage Member

I am trying to keep it simple for you but you can't think for yourself, can't you?

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Austin = Dallas V.2 -- don't move here.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well I went to the event. Given the capacity of the stadium I estimate that the attendance was about 6000 to 7000. I support Sander's positions on many issues and have seen quite a few short interviews throughout the years, but was practically shocked about how good he was in a one hour speech format. Good timing, cadence etc.

No wonder he has won election after election from mayor to US Rep to Senator.
    No wonder Sanders is giving Hillary hell in small states and crushes the typical GOP/Fox crew in his home state where the typical big money approach to electioneering is not as completely dominant.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It may also draw more displaced professional workers out of ill-fated job searches at obsolete salary points, bring pre-mature drop-outs or cash-strapped college bound high school students to the workforce, it may also encourage senior-aged workers to stay on long enough to mitigate the strain on social security or any necessity to push back to benefits age past 65. No more speculative than the +$9.55 cost increase with no actual time frame or regional variances.