1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bernie Sanders 2016 Feel the Bern!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 14, 2015.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Saint Bernard now has a legititmate chance to be the nominee. Time for the scrutiny. Long fights are good for the party. Imagine if the Rev. Wright stuff came out during the general in 2008. Nobody is perfect. So let's see what happens when Sanders' overwhelmingly positive press (which all plucky upstarts get) shifts.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You can't run a country with one issue. Some of his debate answers are wafer thin serving suggestions to get back to wealth redistribution.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Surely there will be a few things that come out as the light shines brighter on Bernie, but I wouldn't guess as much as normal candidates.

Bernie has had a long career and always been issue oriented. He almost only talks about the issues. He's been an independent most of his career and hasn't had to play by party rules based on the special interests who control them. Bernie hasn't really changed his position on issues, He's just getting a stage to clarify them for people who hadn't paid much attention to him before now.

It may be that some of his issues will turn off some voters, but it will also bring a ton of new voters into the pool.

When the weapon being thrown at him now by some of the Clinton supporters are that somehow supporting him would be sexist, that means they don't really have a lot to throw at him, I'm guessing.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will give a lot of props to the Sanders campaign. Sanders was able tap into the angry mood of the Democratic electorate to build a great organization and win a crushing victory. At the same time Albright's and Steinam's comments probably hurt Clinton much more than they helped. Considering neither one has been in the news in recent years it was probably a mistake for Clinton to count on them in the first place to reach out to Women voters.

Sanders' voters should rightfully enjoy their victory but this primary is far from over.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I feel the average people in this country are so clueless about the political process it is sad. All they know is how to get angry when things do not go their way, then they want to elect people like Sanders and Trump. How is Sander going to get even one of his goals done if he is elected?

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

More likely than a poor country building an 8 billion dollar wall for us.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's definitely no guarantee that would ever win the nomination. I think it's still an uphill battle for him. But, I also think that he's shown that it's unwise to underestimate him.

Sanders has outperformed expectations. I think everyone thought he was crazy, never made any sense, and the people of VT. treated him like their own cute little mascot who had no appeal beyond VT.

Once hearing him more people are deciding that he's capable of more than they had given him credit for in the past.

That being said, he has a long way to go before even getting the nomination, and then he'd have to be elected before worrying about how to accomplish any of his goals. But that's the third bridge to cross when he comes to it.

Even if he doesn't get all of goals accomplished, it would be a step in the right direction if he made a shift in that direction.

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the comments from those two crusty old broads were incredibly insulting and condescending, but par for the course for the clinton campaign, who seems to think they are entitled to the female vote. coupled with bill clinton in his lumberjack shirt saying trolls on the internets were being mean to hillary, it is obvious that this is a deliberate tactic and it reeks of desperation. if this is all they have on sanders than they are in serious trouble.

so there is a special place in hell for women who dont vote for hillary, but is there a special place in hell for women who slander and tear down the younger woman her husband was having an affair with and accuse her of being a "narcissistic loony toon"? how is hillary supporting women when she defends her slimebag predator husband against a woman in her early 20's.

if sanders does not get the nomination i will vote 3rd party again...i would never, ever vote for hillary clinton.

#488 jo mama, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. pirc1

I know it is still long ways off and I hope Hillary gets elected, because she will get more things done than Sanders guaranteed.

The people on the right are even more delusional if they think someone like Donald Trump is going to make their lives better, more tax breaks, less regulation, build a fence on the boarder and bomb the hell out of Syria, ya that will surely do it. So many nuts in this country.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This has been by far my biggest criticism of Sanders and one that I've frequently brought up. The answers I gotten when I've asked the question of how is Sanders going to get his proposals implemented is that he is leading a revolution, and young people are going to turn out and pressure Congress Those are rousing soundbites but are vague at best.

That said while I'm critical the frustration that is fueling Sanders movement is understandable and he brings a very needed viewpoint to the forefront of the US politics. I still think Clinton will win but if this had been a coronation for her it would've been worse for her, the Democratic party and the country. A very serious primary challenge from the Left is needed to sharpen the issue and the candidates of both parties.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some people just want to watch the world BERN

donated $50

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You're certainly entitled to do that and part of me hopes that Bloomberg will run. That said how comfortable are you if the choices are Trump or Cruz on the R and Clinton the D? Granted you could vote Libertarian, Green, Constitution, or some other party but being realistic it's going to be either the R or the D. Would you feel OK if it is a close election like 2000 where a handful of votes decided it and Trump or Cruz became the President?

I full agree that Clintons are slimy. They are insiders and play the DC game. As I noted earlier though if you're a liberal you should consider that the Medicare, Voting Rights and Civil Rights acts were all passed by the consummate insider slime ball LBJ. For that matter FDR strong armed and did such questionable things as trying to stack the Supreme Court to get his agenda passed. Sanders is rightfully held up as being both consistent in his views and untainted by much of the DC politics but then again so was Jimmy Carter.

My own view is is that I've never viewed candidates in messianic terms. Knowing how complicated and divided this country is I've never considered that a presidential candidate could come in and lead a major revolution and I highly doubt that will be the case in 2016.

13. pirc1

If he does not get the nomination, I am fine with his point of view being presented, some of his views are valid, but he will not be the person getting it implemented, like national healthcare for all.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you. I think a critical mistake made by the Clinton campaign is embracing President Obama's legacy so strongly and expecting that to be enough to win over younger voters. Millennials voted overwhelmingly for Obama because, in this loony American system we're clinging to, he was clearly the lesser of two evils, especially in 2012 when it was apparent that the legislative expectations of 2008 would never come to pass with this Congress. The only palatable option was a member of the status quo who leaned more toward a desired end and millennials voted for him knowing their lives would undoubtedly be made worse under the other party.

Now that Bernie Sanders is running on a platform that speaks to a demographic absolutely suffocating under debt and dim prospects for societal advancement, the cynical take of "Well, he could never actually enact any of these proposals" only adds more fuel to his fire. I think many Sanders supporters hear that criticism and say "Why should we settle for Hillary Clinton, who likely has no desire to change the system she's firmly entrenched in, when there is a viable candidate addressing our issues right now?"

I think part of Trump's appeal lies in this approach, too (albeit for different reasons). Because he isn't an "establishment" politician and isn't accepting money from PACs he, oddly enough, has some sort of "high ground" in the minds of voters who have seen the "establishment" only benefit the lives of a very small segment of Americans for decades. Voting for Sanders and Trump is a symbolic middle finger to self-serving politicians that have no actual desire to fundamentally alter the trajectory of America in a way that many voters view as necessary.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because we actually believe in change? That we don't have to live the rest of our lives with the status quo in politics? We hope it leads to other candidates who separate themselves from corporate America.

Bernie will get some things passed, but probably not two of his bigger initiatives. I don't see free college education (which already exists for millions of students, and the student loan problem has more to do with private institutions and bad lending practices). I'm doubtful on Universal Healthcare as well, but I think we'll see a strong movement towards it.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Not voting for Bernie because you think none of his ideas will pass is apathy at it's finest. And shame on anyway who falls into that trap. America was not founded on laissez faire attitudes!!! That's not what America is about!!!

17. pirc1

Believe in change is fine, haven't you learned anything from Obama care? How much effort it takes to just implement a scaled down minimal heal care reform? How did Hillary care go? Dream about changes that will not happen any time soon is just that, a dream. I do not believe the second amendment is good for this nation, but I am not going to support someone just because he says he will repeal the second amendment, because it is not going to happen in my life time if ever.

18. pirc1

Tell that to the Arab spring people, when dream meets reality, guess who wins.

19. pirc1

I am not saying these changes will never happen, but not when you have half of the country who are dead set against these changes. If and when the people who supports Donald Trump comes over to the democratic side, then you can talk about you free college and national health insurance, etc.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

or Obama for that matter