1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bernie Sanders 2016 Feel the Bern!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Didn't watch the speech? Why am I not surprised. If you ignore what Hillary Clinton says during the campaign, no matter how important the speech might be, no matter what the audience is, regardless of the content, then your internal narrative remains safe from the "pollution" of the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party. So you are playing it safe. How nice for you. Be sure to be comfortable. Bring a seat cushion! Find time for the convention, but be sure not to further educate yourself about the person a majority of that convention will support, in my opinion.

Be sure not to delve into why organizations like Planned Parenthood, an organization who's aims she has supported for decades without "lining her pockets," a Republican narrative you love, chose to give her such strong support. Ms. Clinton makes an important speech in California supposedly about foreign policy, but is actually a very "presidential" evisceration of Mr. Trump that was widely publicized and praised. You have no interest, which is interesting, since she took California. Some important background about the woman is in her Wellesley commencement speech, widely praised so long ago, and you can't be bothered to check it out. So be sure not to mess around with your internal narrative, glynch. It might give you indigestion.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bernie for Ambassador to Venezuela

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

#3043 glynch, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Meanwhile Sanders' supporters seek to root out traitors in their midst.
    [​IMG]

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"Benedict Warren?" Are you ****ing kidding me? Please tell us that this is from some obscure sub-genre of Bernie supporters. Warren is who most liberals and progressives wanted to run for President, until she flatly declared that she would not and Bernie offered a legitimate alternative. What freakin' hypocrites.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's from Facebook so it's anecdotal but from the news I think many Sanders feel that way.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/u...orters-hillary-clinton-progressives.html?_r=0

Bernie Sanders Die-Hards Gather and Try to Look Past November

CHICAGO — Ethan Winnett, a 31-year-old from Waukegan, Ill., said that if Senator Bernie Sanders endorsed Hillary Clinton after his decades as a progressive champion, it would amount to nothing short of “a betrayal of all of his principles.”

Virginia Ramos Rios, 44, who was a Sanders field organizer in California and New York, said it would be a “hard pill to swallow.”

And of their fellow Sanders supporters now throwing their support to Mrs. Clinton? “Disgusting,” said John Flaherty, 63, a retired photographer from Wayland, Mass.

One of the last remaining questions of the Democratic presidential primary season is how many of the 12 million people who voted for Mr. Sanders will back his opponent, Mrs. Clinton, now that she is the presumptive nominee.

And if interviews with about a dozen Sanders supporters who gathered here this weekend are any indication, the “Bernie or Bust” component of his large following will survive past the summer, even if Mr. Sanders eventually endorses Mrs. Clinton.

“He’s been fighting against the 1 percent, and Hillary has become the 1 percent,” said Mr. Winnett, an unemployed computer engineer. “She’s become everything that we’re against.”

Mr. Sanders has yet to concede the nomination, though in a speech streamed live last week to more than 200,000 viewers, he hinted that he might endorse Mrs. Clinton, saying, “The major political task that we face in the next five months is to make certain that Donald Trump is defeated and defeated badly.”

Mr. Sanders’s advisers say that before he throws his support behind Mrs. Clinton, he is seeking assurances that she and the Democratic Party will embrace some of his ideas. Much of his speech was devoted to urging his followers to continue fighting for causes like universal health care, free public college and an end to fracking, regardless of who wins the general election in November.

That happened to be the theme of the gathering this weekend, which was called “The People’s Summit” and drew thousands of people to McCormick Place, a large conference center in Chicago. Against a backdrop of Twister games, Lego sculptures and beanbag throwing contests, they talked about pushing progressive ideals.

The event, which was organized by National Nurses United, a labor union that campaigned heavily for Mr. Sanders, featured discussions about how to encourage like-minded people to run for local offices and to push groups to work together on issues like racial justice, income inequality and electoral changes. One session included discussion of protest methods, using mock sit-ins and arrests, for the Democratic National Convention next month in Philadelphia.

Panels included “The Robin Hood Tax: Challenging Wall Street, Neo-Liberalism and Perpetual Debt” and “Ending Voter Suppression, Mass Incarceration, Deportations and Gender Inequality.”

Mr. Sanders did not attend, though “Bernie 2016” hats, buttons and pins were easy to spot, and songs from the senator’s rallies, like Simon and Garfunkel’s “America,” blasted through speakers. Conference attendees effortlessly repeated elements of his stump speech — “rigged economy,” “a corrupt campaign finance system.”

Some of Mr. Sanders’s Democratic surrogates did show up, like Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii and Nina Turner, a former Ohio state senator who delivered a fiery speech urging people not to allow the party to return to “business as usual.”

The question of whether to support Mrs. Clinton in November was not an official topic of discussion, but it was on a lot of minds nonetheless.

“I’m very frustrated by people who are like, ‘Vote blue, no matter who,’” Ms. Ramos Rios said. “I feel like we are being threatened with the boogeyman of the dream state and not confronting the actual difficulty that we have in front of us, which is we are being ruled by an oligarchy.”

Some at the Chicago gathering said they might vote for a third-party candidate. Others said they would write in Mr. Sanders’s name. (None of the people interviewed said they would vote for Mr. Trump.)

Curtis Anderson, 29, an estate groundskeeper from Plainfield, Ill., said that he would vote for Mrs. Clinton, but that that was about all he would do for her. “I campaigned 500 hours for Bernie,” he said. “I wouldn’t campaign five minutes for Hillary.”

Naomi Klein, a progressive author, spoke on Friday night at a panel about the way some of Mr. Sanders’s supporters were feeling. “Let’s not be afraid to admit that we come here wounded and that we also come here in pain,” she said. “We are grieving political losses, dreams tantalizingly tasted but ultimately unrealized.”

Polls suggest that a large majority of people who voted for Mr. Sanders will back Mrs. Clinton, and in tight races in swing states, her campaign will welcome that support.

On the opening panel Friday night, the journalist Juan Gonzalez said that he belonged to the antiwar group Students for a Democratic Society in 1968, and that like some other members, he sat out the presidential election that fall. Richard M. Nixon beat Hubert H. Humphrey by less than a percentage point, and Mr. Gonzalez said he wondered whether the result could have been different.

“Our slogan was, ‘Vote with your feet. Vote in the street,’” he said. “I’m here to tell you that the slogan was right. The tactic was wrong.”

“Hopefully,” he added, “other generations learn from the mistakes of those who came before them.”

It was not clear if that argument held much sway with the Chicago crowd.

“If we get Trump, then we’ve gotten the country we deserve,” Mr. Winnett said. “It’s not the fault of the Bernie Sanders supporters. It’s the fault of the Democrats for choosing Hillary Clinton.”

1 person likes this.
  7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Gabbard is one of the most bizarre Democrats in congress with a history of homophobic and Islamophobic politics. She's the first to call when you need a Democrat to bash Obama on cable news and has gone out of her way to praise Putin and defend Assad. She's also conservative on gun control.

But yes, because she continues to support a political corpse (out of her spite for DWS/Clinton/Obama), she's the real liberal, not Elizabeth Warren.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There are idiots on both sides of the political spectrum.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There hardcore Bernie supporters have more in common with the hardcore Trump supporters.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bernie would be a sell-out (fraud) if he endorsed Clinton. Heck, he and Trump would be sell-outs if they don't get the nomination AND don't run as independents.

#ataleoftwoparties

11. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

bahhh...there's always a 31-year-old from Waukegan, a field organizer, a retired photographer, or an unemployed computer engineer who won't toe the line.

Sometimes you need to produce a hit worthy article on a deadline but you're not really up to an indepth piece. Bit disappointed they couldn't find anyone to support Trump. And the article lacked the usual quote padding from twitter.

12. glynch

Well I just came back from the Texas Democratic Convention in San Antonio. Whatever you think of the Democratic Party as a whole the delegates were a very engaged crowd from throughout the state and everyone I talked to was fairly interesting and politically pretty aware. Just pretty impressive by the diversity both by ethnicity, and geographically throughout the whole state.

I did meet a number of mainly younger Bernie supporters who will not vote for Hillary. I did not run into any who were speaking out strongly against Bernie if he were to formally endorse Hillary.

The Convention was very amicable wrt to the interaction of the Bernie and Clinton supporters and anyone who says other wise if not telling you the way it was. The Convention was carefully orchestrated as to be expected by Party insiders and elected officials to proclaim Hillary as the winner and candidate to beat Trump. They also frequently extolled Bernie and his supporters. The exception was Eddie Bernice Johnson who kept baiting Bernie supporters by about six times saying in various ways: "we3 won and you lost" till the chants of Bernie !! Bernie!! arose to drown her out. It certainly seemed like about 50% of the delegates present were Bernie which would be an over representation. We were certainly more enthusiastic and I think my brother might be right when he said Bernie delegatges (at least judged by t-shirts and buttons) seemed to be mainly under 40 and surprisingly 60 or older. I am not sure about the older than 60 crowd, but maybe just according to obvious what I will call signage and who actually travelled to San Antonio.

I would characterize the resolutions as extremely favorable to Sanders positions to the point that there was little oppositon. $15/hr., Healthcare as a basic human right but no mention of National Health Care. Free junior college and debt free four year. (Hillary's position).One very interesting resolution was pretty carefully crafted. " As of 2020 superdelegates will be reduced from 15% to 10% and super delegates can only vote starting at the second ballot." A good compromise that succeeded in defeating a motion for zero superdelegates which would have been controversial. Even most Hillary delegates did not seem to be big fans of superdelegagtes.

Latinos seemed over represented among the speakers though it was held in San Antonio and Joaquin ? Castro the Congressman was sort of the host. Much was made of how low the Latino voter percentage is compared to the African American and Asian Americans that also vote pretty heavily Dem.

There were very few Asians present and African Americans were not nearly as present. Refecting now I guess it was obviousl as they not as enthused as they were for Obama.

There was a lot of Trump bashing ranging from the humorous to the angry. Frankly not that much fanfare for Hillary' positions, though some mention of her being the first woman to win the nomination.

I've gone to several of these conventions in the past and I would characterize it as the best as the youth and enthusiam of the Bernie supporters kept it from being the same oL same ol.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I closely followed the 1968 presidential election, being a strong supporter of Bobby Kennedy, and certainly followed the Democratic Convention in Chicago. What Mr. Gonzalez said, I felt, was worth repeating. It might "feel good" to say "**** it" and turn your back on the political process. To stay home, or to write in someone's name, or to vote for a third party. I can tell you that what Mr. Gonzales said was important. The people that reacted the way they did to Hubert Humphrey, a decent man who would have been a good president, gave us Richard Nixon and changed the political direction of our country - it was, and remains, a disaster we have yet to recover from. Anyone that is a Bernie Sanders supporter who does what so many did in 1968, which helped to swing an extremely close election to Richard Nixon, and ends up helping to hand the election this Fall to Donald Trump, is something worse than a damned fool. This election will be closer than many think, in my opinion, and in Texas, the election is very important.

Ask glynch, who just returned from the State Democratic Convention (props, glynch -I haven't been in several years), how important voting is in Texas. We have a legislature controlled by far-right Republicans, including extremists who hold the Governor's office, the Lt. Governor's office, and the office of the State Attorney General. If Democrats come out and vote, if independents come out and vote, those who are disgusted with the course of state government, if the minorities the GOP keeps marginalizing in absurdly constructed gerrymandered districts just come out and vote, some serious change can be made to our government at the state and local level, as well as our congressional delegation. Time to get serious and vote, people.

#3053 Deckard, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  14. glynch

Hope for the future. Bernie won more votes among the under thirty crowd than Hillary and Trump combined and by a lot.

read:https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ers-than-trump-and-clinton-combined-by-a-lot/
    ++++++++++
    more than 2 million young people cast ballots for Sanders in the 21 states that voted by June 1 and where exit polls included data on the youth vote.

Clinton and Donald Trump combined? Less than 1.6 million. Sanders, in fact, won about 29 percent more votes among those under the age of 30.

And that number actually rose as the campaign went on. Back in mid-March, we looked at the same numbers and found Sanders had about 25 percent more votes than Trump and Clinton combined. And despite Clinton effectively locking up her party's nomination around that point and Trump's opponents starting to drop out, Sanders actually extended his advantage late in the campaign.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

For most people when they grow older and have a family, they become less radical, unlike a certain poster. :)

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who's Barney Sanders again?

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Exactly, as you become a productive member of society and are paying more in than you are getting out you start to question anyone that says ANYTHING of value is free.

These people are all liars without exception.

18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...this is the heart of the matter, right here. Well said, Deck.

We all talk about "responsibility" and "accountability" ad nauseum around here...

...but take it from a card-carrying, lazy, good-for-nothing brainwashed liberal troll of a Negro like me...

...we all of us get the government we deserve, if we're all still of the mindset that our collective will is the standard by which we govern ourselves.

I get that too often, the will of the few seem to lord over the will of the many. The responsibility to govern our lives (i.e. our communities and neighborhoods) is all too often, it seems, usurped by malice, greed and avarice.

I refuse to believe these attitudes persist and, to varying degrees, succeed, for any reason other than a ragged logic that suggests that if I don't get what I want...the way that I want it...when I want it and how I want it...then the whole thing is not worth my time.

The enterprise of our democracy is not larger than the ideal that fostered it, I agree. Which is exactly why we all need to make our minds up to dismiss the foolish masquerading as sanity.

Again, I am looking, personally, to what Senator Sanders himself said at the very beginning of the campaign season: he would back the eventual party nominee. Whether or not he reneges or drags his feet himself is not as much of an issue for me as what those who support him will do.

The thing of it is this: any endorsement of Hillary Clinton at this stage is not any sort of commitment to her personally, nor should it be. If there is going to be a move for genuine change in our legislative processes, than it HAS to come from the legislatures themselves (local, state and federal). Talking about the one percent is talking about the government policies at all levels that facilitate their activities, and have inevitably begotten a Supreme Court ruling that, almost on its own, has done more to threaten the sanctity of our government than any foreign or domestic violent act.

You can't demand accountability from a process that you abandon. You can't demand justice from a "system" you actively ignore.

And you can't fix anything that you think is broken by holding the pieces up in your hands and railing on and on about it.

We don't simply choose representatives when we vote. We choose the course of our governance, of our collective consciousness, of our individual honor and merit. Our "representatives" are merely a reflection of that commitment.

And when we choose poorly...or not at all...we reap the whirlwind amongst us.

I don't know what "concession" should look like or should mean to Senator Sanders, but I do know that if there are so many who were so stirred by the primacy (or at the very least, the urgency) of his domestic economic message, who would now abandon that message because it may have to ride on the back of messenger they deem "unworthy"...

...then they shouldn't waste any more time, and go join Donald Trump's campaign. We should all be past the point now, of worrying about soundbytes and newsclips about candidates who should be nothing more than carriers of our own will.

This much, in point of fact, is what Donald Trump has stumbled upon with his campaign...and why it may finally have run its course.

We're not fixing any of this legislative muck without getting our hands dirty.

And you may never ever hear this from a welfare-mooching n!gger like myself ever again...but we've all got some work to do.

Now's the time to do it.

3 people like this.
  19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The guy that brought socialism back into the political conversation for a new generation that had only heard corporate propaganda before. It's a pretty giant leap to be able to label yourself a socialist and not be reviled as a traitor to the State.

morey than baby steps, planting the seed.

But of course there's no money to be made working for socialism and it's passions are quickly quelled by the sheer inertia of corporatism. They assault us every day, everywhere with their message because they can pay to have the message out because it yields a net profit.
    -winning-

20. Nook

Nook Member

ZZZZ zzzzzzzzzz

After awhile the Barney Sanders bots start to sound like a mixture of Emanuel Bronner's bizarre nonsensical rants coupled with the annoying and pathetic pitch of a Hare Krishna follower following you through the airport.