1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Berman: Astros to call up Springer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Apr 15, 2014.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Agreed 100%. Seems like a pretty easy decision to make in reality.

As for Harrell, good riddance. I'm glad Paul Clemens gets to stay with the 25 when Feldman comes back.

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Lord, give it a rest.

3. cdain3

cdain3 Member

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

As I mentioned in the other thread, I was hoping they'd call him up ASAP...because, given that he's going to attain Super Two status barring something crazy, we didn't buy anything. As of now, at the end of 2016 season, he'll have >2 seasons of service time, and Super Two status will make him arb eligible at that point. (and a free agent after 2019)

In short, assuming he attains Super Two status by ranking in the top 22% of 2-year players in terms of service time (which he will unless he flops and gets sent down), the decision to wait 2 weeks at the start of the season won't matter.

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Very excited for his debut... something to actually get excited about for a change!

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Isn't insurance against him sucking in of itself worth something? The last time I checked, Springer isn't exactly a Bryce Harper level of prospect where there's near zero chance of flopping coming out.

8. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Just dropped Victor Martinez for him in my fantasy league. Hope this pays off!

9. HookemHorns1250

As I just posted on the Astros Forum, predictions for the lineup when he makes his debut?

I'd like to see...

CF - Fowler
    LF - Hoes
    2B - Altuve
    C - Castro
    RF - Springer
    1B - Guzman
    DH - Carter
    3B - Dominguez
    SS - Villar

10. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

11. kaleidosky

you're right--but he'd have to be god-awful to get sent back to AAA on this team. So I don't see it happening unless he spends 2 months below the mendoza line or something

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Super 2 does make him arb eligible sooner, but the club still controls him for 7 years (with 4 arb years instead of 3)... At least that's what I recall from the recent McTaggert article. Regardless, if he performs well, I do expect the club to eventually work out a deal to buyout the arb years and one of his free agent years (and it will be for more than $23 million).

Anyways, good to see them finally become proactive on some of the "not so ready for prime time" performers they've had up. I actually like Grossman's bat... But his slump, combined with his spotty defense made the decision easier. Harrell was nothing but 3 wasted starts. Not sure what they were expecting to see that they didn't already know based on his 20+ starts last year and iffy ST this year.

Also puts Krause/Guzman/Carter on notice that if they don't start turning it around soon at the plate, they could also be shuffled out (although I do expect them to wait on Singleton till after the all-star break).

13. kaleidosky

Ah, you're right--forgot about that. To me, it wouldn't matter given that even in the worst case, they would buy out the last year or 2 or free agency. But you make a good point. While I was thinking they'd let him play out his early years and 1 or 2 of his arb years... most prospects are having arb years and free agent years bought out nowadays. In which case Super 2 may not matter in the end.

#33 kaleidosky, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I have tickets to tomorrows game, I'm not sure if he will play but I hope he does!

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Oh, he'll play.

They're not (finally) starting his clock to have him sit on the bench with LJ Hoes (or are they?).

My guess is they'll have an OF of Pressley/Fowler/Springer, and he will bat 6th or 7th. (But could be as high as 4th with Altuve moving to the #2 spot... Not like anybody in this lineup is "untouchable", with the exception of Fowler leading off).

16. The Situation

The Situation Member

17. Xercules

Xercules Member

Taking bets on his first ML hit now...

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Man I'm actually excited about the Astros for once in awhile!

**** yeah!

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Given that the Astros aren't going to do jack squat this year anyway, I would say having Springer miss 11 big league games probably isn't going to hurt the Astros.

To me this seems like a no-risk move unless Springer becomes a stud and the Astros end up losing a playoff spot by 2 games or something. I see the odds of that happening as 0%.

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh yea! I am very pleased at this. Good luck George Springer