1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Berkman: what should he get?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rileydog, Jan 8, 2005.

1. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

I want someone to explain to me why Berkman should get less money than what Beltran should get. Don't bring up the 5 tool thing because according to the definition Beltran isn't really a 5 tool player and Berkman seems to have a major advantage in that whole hitting aspect of the game.

2. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

Well, comparing Beltran to Pujols is quite nuts IMO. Comparing Berkman to Beltran isn't nuts at all.

3. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

Does Beltrans baserunning make up for 58 points in batting average? Or nearly 100 points in on base %? How does .258 qualify as the tool of "hitting for average"?

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my goodness...we agree on something! about $12 million/year sounds about right.

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

WOW! Couldn't be right.

6. MadMax

yeah...one of us needs to change our mind.

7. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

he has asked for 11mil in arbitration we have offered 10 mil

8. MadMax

GREAT NEWS!!!

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

5 yrs, 55 million. Done.

10. MadMax

DONE!! sounds great!

11. Jester

Jester Contributing Member

Are you serious Beltra compared to Berkman? One post season aside, Beltran has been nowhere near Berkman's career numbers.

12. MadMax

but Beltran will be paid around $17million/year..while Berkman is asking for $11million/year.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Kind of crazy when you look at the numbers between Beltran and Berkman.

Berkman has better numbers in everything and it's pretty crazy that he is not making more than 11 million.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Had he not decided to participate in the church flag football game, he'd be asking for between 13 and 15 million. In a way that none of us wanted, his injury actually helps the Astros a little.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah i completly see that as well..but his speed wasn't the biggest factor on the team..he never had that...I guess he might eventually move to first and doesn't need the mobility he might in the outfield.

16. Jester

Jester Contributing Member

And he will continue to post excellent numbers. He is worth more that $11 million.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I've never seen so much panic for a guy who's hurt his knee who:

a.) Has yet to miss any games because of it.

b.) Wasn't a speedy guy to begin with.

c.) Doesn't play a sport that really requires you to be able to jump or pivot sharply in order to be a superstar.

d.) Had this injury in 2004... where doctor's perform ACL repairs with one hand tied behind their back, and players come back to FOOTBALL faster than ever.

I'm mainly typing this becuase everybody I've talked to has already penciled this guy in as a big question mark for next year because of his knee... yea right.

If Craig Biggio can come back and hit 20 HR's after this type of injury (which happened 5 years ago)... a younger guy like Lance will bounce back just fine. And hell... with all the extra rehab he's doing, he'll probably be in the best shape he's ever been in at the start of the season anyways.

Also, from the chronicle this morning... on locking up Lance to a long-term contract:
    "They're so close," Berkman said of the arbitration offers. "I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."

18. MadMax

it shows something to me:

market value is real. but it doesn't mean that every contract signed matches with market value. just because one team is willing to overpay, doesn't mean that if a guy gets a contract its necessarily market value...particularly if the negotitations are handled in such a way where you don't know what numbers you're bidding against.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Berkman is probably a better hitter with more power for the long haul.

In fact, everybody would be talking about the awesome playoffs that Berkman had if Beltran hadn't had a historic level playoff performance.

That being said...Berkman is an average fielder with average speed. Beltran is a superb fielder with superb speed. He plays a KEY position in center field and he is one of the best at it. He not only scores runs with his speed, but he takes away runs with his speed in center. He made fielding MMP at center look easy for most of the year.

That is the main difference. There are lots of good hitters that have power in the majors. There are very few that have the hitting, power and speed to field center effectively.

Beltran gets an extra $5 million a year for defense and speed, basically. He can score runs all by himself with his speed and can take away runs with his fielding and speed.

That is the difference.

20. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Get the deal done!