1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Berkman: what should he get?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rileydog, Jan 8, 2005.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Are you serious? Berkman IS in the Pujols/Vlad/Beltran league. Pujols is probably the best hitter of the bunch, but Berkman is a close 2nd. He's a monster every year in terms of OPS/HR/Slg/walks/OBP/RBI. He's no Beltran in the OF, and he doesn't have the arm of Vlad, but for a natural 1B he does a heck of a job out there.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

its not

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

whoa!!! you think so??? i certainly don't. you're talking about multi-tooled guys and arguably the best hitter in baseball with Pujols. i can't put lance in that category. he's a notch down from that.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's actually loses more than a tool for being such a horrible baserunner. :)

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think Lance means that he knows that the Astros have the money to give him an extension and not necessarily him wanting Beltran money. I doubt he'll ask for a 7/105 contract when 1. he messed up his knee playing flag football 2. which, in turn, might make him less effective as before.

6. MadMax

he has no speed...is a decent, but not spectacular defensive playe...who hits for a lesser average and for less power numbers than guys like Vlad or Pujuols. i just don't see it.

7. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I'd give Berkman a 5 to 7 year contract worth 12 million a year. Tejada got 12 million and Scott Rolen got 11.25 million under the new CBA. I certainly think Berkman deserves at least that.

8. MadMax

yeah..that neighborhood is about right. i'm thinking 6 years, $72 million should get it done.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Pujols is in his own category. He's younger than the other guys, and is the best hitter in baseball not named Bonds. He's just in a class by himself.

Beltran vs. Berkman is apples to oranges - Beltran is never going to be the hitter Berk is. He doesn't hit for the same average, doesn't walk as much, doesn't hit for power as consistantly. Beltran's a "tools" guy, the kind who does everything well and is a heck of a fielder at a crucial position. Berkman is a "roto" guy, who doesn't do everything well but hits like a mofo.

I think Berkman compares very well to Vlad, and that's who he should be judged against. Same position, same type of player. Vlad is not a good defender. Hell of an arm, but he's erratic and makes dumb decisions in the field and on the bases at times, and his range isn't anything spectacular. Berkman is a better hitter than Vlad, imo, because Berkman has an eye for the ball and works the count. Vlad comes out swinging at anything and everything. Consequently, while they're virtually identical in terms of power, Lance is going to get on base more every year, and drive up the pitch count. And don't forget, Berkman was a monster in the postseason as well.

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

If he stays healthy and productive, 12mil per over max 6 seasons.

I'm pretty generous with Drayton's money.:D

11. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

8-9 million per year/ 6 years.

3-4 million in incentives. 35HRs, .300 avg, more than one stolen base :p, etc etc.

anywhere from a possible 11-13 million once all the incentives were to kick in. Fair? maybe, maybe no. The injury probably cut out 1-2 million off his deal per year.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I'm more concerned with the 1-2 steps he lost per game

13. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

He lost a step or 2? Wouldn't that put him in the red? :p

14. Beenz

Beenz Contributing Member

saying that berkman becomes the face of the franchise...will he move to first once Bagwell's contract is up and eventually retires.

mubeen

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think 9 million per season is good for a base salary.

I agree with Miguel, that you have to throw in some incentives.

Allow him to earn up to 12 million per year.

16. Jester

Jester Contributing Member

I totally agree with the amount you mentioned. Berkman is one of the top hitters in the game and still has a long career ahead of him. Drayton can allocate a portion of the money that was targeted for Beltran. Lance is the most consistant player on the Astros, hands down.

17. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I don't know how many of you caught the little audio with Berkman after the Beltran stuff.

He was saying that he is aware that the money is there becuase he saw what Beltran was offered and he said that if you look at then numbers between him and Beltran that they are comprable if not better.

The only thing that Beltran had over Berkman would be his speed. I don't think that he would get anywhere near 17 Million but i am sure he wants Drayton to pay up for the work he has done up till now. The injury he sustained is going to play a part in the final amount but when you look at the stats they are pretty close.

Last Year -

Berkman : .316 AVG 30 HR 106 RBI
    Beltran: .260 AVG 38 HR 104 RBI

Career -

Berkman (6 Seasons): .303 AVG 156 HR 535 RBI
    Beltran ( 8 Seasons): .284 AVG 146 HR 569 RBI

Pretty easy to see that Berkman has played better than Beltran over his career. He is only a year younger. Beltran does bring speed and defense to the plate.

But when you look at the numbers, Berkman does deserve some good money for how he has played and the numbers he has put up.

18. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

He should be in between Vlad and JD. 5/60 to 6/75.

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I would put him around 6/78 or close to 80's with signing bonuses and stuff....13-14 Million a year.

Vlad is a good hitter and JD is never healthy but out of the Three Berkman is just that much better of a hitter and has power. More Valuable then either one in my opinion.

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Sounds fair to all concerned.

Berkman should not have any problem signing for that offer.