1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Berkman: what should he get?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rileydog, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Space cadet has done nothing but produce. great offensive skills. average outfielder. I say the bidding starts at 10 mil per year. I'd be comfortable with 12 mil per year, over 5 years.

He's better than JD drew. He has a better track record than Beltre. He's a class below puljols and guererro.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'd say he's going to look long and hard at what Beltran gets. He obviously doesn't have the speed or defense Carlos does, but he's a better all around hitter.

3. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I wouldn't be suprised to see Berkman get $72-75 million over six or seven years with a club option buyout for an eighth year.

Of course it also depends on how well Berkman does this year after his ACL tear.

IMHO, I think Berkman will be a career Astro. McLane wants to make him and Beltran the new generation Killer B's like Bagwell and Biggio were.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

9 million per.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If you are talking about OBP or OPS, Berkman is one of the top 5 players in the game. There aren't many switch-hitting players that can hit for both power and average. Lance also has one of the best eyes for the strikezone in the league. He draws a ton of walks. His defense has looked bad because he has played out of position his entire pro career. At Rice, he was one of the best defensive first basemen in the NCAA. The problem is we have a one-armed cripple manning that position currently. When Bagwell retires, I anticipate Berkman will move to 1B. I would say Berkman is worth 6 years $65mm or so.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Before this injury, I'd say the market value of Berkman's probably in line with top FA sluggers over the years: Thome, Vlad, Giambi, etc. The Yankees or the Red Sox could probably afford to give him something like 6 yrs/ 90-100 mil. The Astros probably have to fork over 5 yrs/70 mil.

Now, I really have no clue. It just depends on how the injury heals. I hope the Astros give him a 4-5 year contract with about $7 mil guaranteed, and another $5 mil/yr incentives. This way Berkman gets some security, while the Astros won't have a deadweight contract should Berkman not recover fully.

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I believe he is the best and most underrated position player on the Astros. I believe if he returns to form and has a good year after this injury we have got to give him close to what Beltran gets. He deserves it.

8. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

SURGERY.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

We all lost sight at how well Berkman played in the postseason because of Beltran's magical run.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB OBP SLG AVG

12 46 12 16 3 0 4 12 31 8 10 1 .436 .674 .348

not quite record setting numbers a la Beltran, but Berkman DID produce. IMO, I think if Lance comes back 100% his offseason injury, he should be given 10-12 mil per year. He's one of the best hitters in the NL.

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

5 years / $60M with a $13M option (either side) on a sixth year feels about right. Right around the low end of the Beltran bidding.

11. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

whatever he gets, it should include a no flag football restriction in it.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Already had it like the next day after the injury...perks of being in professional sports and having doctors all around

13. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

yep

sure hope he doesn't miss more than what's predicted for after-surgery

we need the only rbi machine we'll have this year.

man.... where's the offense going to come from?

ausmus? everett? biggio? bagwell? taveras? lamb?

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

Jose Cruz Jr?

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

If he didn't screw up his knee, I'd bet $10MM/year, but it won't be as there is uncertainty...He was slow before, but now, even slower...But he can hit...

16. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I just heard a clip of Berkman on 610AM stating that he was aware of what the Astros offered Beltran and knows that the money is there. :rolleyes:

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If we dont give him at least 10 / year, you can look forward to 19 different threads on how Drayton screwed this up too.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If Berkman thinks he's worth Beltran money he's nuts. He's a great player but not in the Pujols/Vlad/Beltran league. If his agent is Boras I'm going to puke.

19. Summer Song Giver

I would offer Berkman 5/60 today but I would probably feel safer getting it done somewhere midseason when I'm sure his leg won't fall off..

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

9 million - 6 years