1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beno Udrih, Ronny Turiaf, Mike Miller, Jackie Butler (?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SeeingRocketRed, May 20, 2008.

1. SeeingRocketRed

The Rockets should sign PG Beno Udrih, C Ronny Turiaf, and bring Jackie Butler back to camp this year. Also, the Rockets should wait out Memphis, and offer expiring contracts and a first round pick for Miller. DO NOT GET RID OF SCOLA FOR MILLER IF WE WANT TO WIN NOW.

Beno Udrih is a good back-up point guard. He should play behind Rafer Alston as our second pg, with Aaron Brooks given some playing time and told to attack the basket. Udrih had a decent year after struggling a little the year before. If Luther Head or Bobby Jackson are on this team next year, I'll be very freaking upset. Split the Mid-Level Exception between Udrih and Turiaf, giving each about half (or around 2.8 million/year each) or less. I'm not sure why Udrih isn't realy getting the hype on this board I think he might deserve. He is probably the best fit for the Rockets outside of Baron Davis (who we'll never be able to get). Udrih's big (6-3), he can pass, and he can both shoot and take it to the rack.

Turiaf is a reasonably effective back-up center. Clearly we need someone besides just Yao and Mutumbo who can block shots, rebound, and play defense in case one gets hurt. Other than Turiaf, maybe we should take a look at Jackie Butler again. I'm not sure. Do you guys remember him from pre-season? He almost made the team, and played exceptionally well. If not Butler, than we should make strong efforts to sign Ronny Turiaf. Give him about half of the MLE, which should be around 2.8 million dollars/year for him.

Finally, we must have an effective back-up for both McGrady and Battier. Novak needs to improve at defense and be able to get on the floor, but Miller would be perfect. Memphis wants the world for him, but maybe we can get them to be realistic. They can't have Scola. Period. But for a first round pick + expiring contracts, Miller should be eventually be attainable. Maybe. If he is not, then we need to look at other swing men. If Gerald Wallace could learn to play with his head and use a little of that athleticism on defense, we'd be golden. One caveat about that, remember Eddie Griffin. All the tools in the world, but it never "clicked".

Any thoughts?

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Jackie Butler? What the hell?

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

When do 6'10" pfs sign with the Rockets for $2.8 mil, unless it's with a playoff winner, like the Lakers or Spurs?

4. Mr.TripleDouble

I definitely agree with the acquisition of Turiaf in the offseason. I think he's a very good back-up big, who could be a big boost off the bench for Houston.

I'm pretty sure the Kings will do all they can to keep Udrih on their roster, as he is most likely their starter for years to come. I see no way the Rockets can snatch him away from Sacramento.

And with the never ending saga known as the Mike Miller story, I think we'll have to wait and see what the Grizz do in the draft, and then check if they're willing to re-evaluate a possible trade scenario with the Rockets, where it doesn't involve Scola.

Otherwise, I think Houston needs to move on from the idea of getting Miller and look elsewhere for an option that wouldn't involve us getting rid of the first starting caliber PF the team has seen in oh so many years.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

turiaf isn't going anywhere.

6. SeeingRocketRed

Turiaf isn't getting much playing time, why would he make more than about 3 million? I don't know....

I have been thinking and drinking crazy juice. In my first post I said Scola was essentially untradeable. But I have an idea for a trade involving him that both parties would probably take and that we would benefit from. Scola + draft pick for JianLi from the Bucks. JianLi did not have the greatest rookie year, but I saw flashes of greatness in his game. Remember how badly out of sorts Yao looked in his first year in the league, when Barkley said he would NEVER score 19 points in a game? And look at the improvement each year in his game. Look at Yi Jianli's improvement each year in the Chinese Basketball Association:

RPG PPG
    2003-2004 5.8 9.7
    2004-2005 10.2 16.8
    2005-2006 9.6 20.5
    2006-2007 11.5 24.9

JianLi's salary this year is 2,777,760, almost the same as Scola. Maybe if we take their bad contract with Michael Redd, and give them some expiring contracts in exchange, we could add a scoring guard off the bench plus a legitimate power forward with future potential. Hmmm......

7. scola4president

Did you really have to make a thread about this? Beno Udrih is not going anywhere he will contiue to be the Kings starting PG. Turiaf is not leaving LA, and Jackie Butler is a scrub. And no we are not trading Scola and a pick for Yia , get real.

8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

ok, first of all, what you said by creating a totally new thread, could and should be posted in another Offseason thread, which there are many of at the moment. Its what almost all threads are talking about! so why don't know put your opinions where everyone elses are too.

Although I respect your opinions, but I STRONGLY DISAGREE with what you have proposed. I really think you need to review your own proposals before you forward it to others to crictique.

Backup centre for half of our MLE? No thanks!
    Backup PG for half the MLE? Maybe, but don't we have Brooks already? Why don't we use the MLE where its more needed, which is certainly not a backup PG. Its more a STARTER PG!

Yi JianLian for Scola??! what?!!!! are you crazy??!! have you actually thought about it?!! Scola has played a full season incl playoffs and shown tremendous capability as Rocket's starter PF. Yi although he started the season well, did not produce much for the 2nd half of the season and then got injured. Yi will be a good player, no doubt about that, but he will have to take time to develop, which is time the Rockets cannot afford to lose. Remember, with Yao and McGrady aging year by year, we have a limited timeframe to have a great push for winning the Championship.

LOL at you highlighting his CBA stats to support your arguement. They are great stats for the CBA, but THIS IS NBA! not CBA. The level of competition in the NBA is hugely greater than the CBA. You cant begin to compare those 2 leagues. Lol Mike Harris was the slamdunk champion of the CBA and he probably had the same CBA stats. And Mike Harris is our 4th string PF.

If he put those up those numbers in the DLeague, you might only get a few looks in the training camps of NBA teams. MVP for the dleague only got like 5 rubbish time games with the Heat. And CBA is probably even worse than the DLeague. Lol haha so are you saying we should get all CBA superstars and sign them?! or lets go get a team of DLeague/CBA allstars and let them start for us?! ITS THE CBA man, where he faced like 1 tenth the competition he is facing in the NBA. And it doesn't mean he'll improve every year until he's like 40 ppg 30 rpg 20 asp 10 bpg 5 spg

NO YI FOR SCOLA! No Michael Redd either

9. Madeinchin4

Madeinchin4 Member

you're an idiot, they'll sign for more,esp beno udrih

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I disagree with him too but let's not call people names.

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Are you saying we should let Landry walk?

12. liangqj

liangqj Member

I really can't understand why you had this deal though I am a fan of Yi from GuangDong China. Frankly, players from Asia is not enough tough to adapt NBA.