1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bengals, Andy Dalton agree to six-year deal

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Aug 4, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Full contract details

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Getting Andy Dalton details. He gets $12M to sign and a $5M roster bonus in three days. More info coming at PFT.</p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/statuses/496347440476606466">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dalton's deal has a base value of $96 million over six years. I assume escalators get to the larger numbers. $17 million guaranteed.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/496355218347794434">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>So the base of Dalton's deal is $96M over 6. How does get to $115M max value? Source says escalators based on ... Playoffs.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/496355905202831360">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dalton can earn the $19 million by hitting triggers in qualifying for the divisional round, the conference title game, and the Super Bowl.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/496356571665162240">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bengals deal with Andy Dalton, like many others, will be pay as you go. His fully guar $ comes in 2014 - $18M. Makes $22M total by next Feb</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/496355381715959808">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dalton's deal averages $16M over the six new years. Bengals control his rights thru 2020. Have space for Bufict/Green deals if can do them</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/496355679884824576">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

#21 J.R., Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

While this may all be true, it is nullified by the fact that they are...well, the Bengals.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To be fair, the Bengals did have some roster flexibility because they were able to find a competent QB in the 2nd round, rather than committing a first round pick (and 3-5 years worth of a first round salary) to a QB who likely doesn't put up the same numbers as Dalton. If they selected a QB early that year, they don't get AJ Green. I think Green/Dalton is better than any of the other QB options they could have had then (or in subsequent years).

The year Dalton was drafted was the same year that Locker, Gabbert, Ponder were all taken in the top 12 picks. Not saying Dalton is worth this contract extension, but he's clearly given the Bengals a great return compared to where he was picked... and clearly the Bengals feel his early post-season "failures" are correctable (last year was bad... but I don't think they lost to the Texans simply because of Dalton).

In the end, the Bengals making the post season 4 of the last 6 years is almost "elite" franchise-level performance... and with the crap-shoot nature of the playoffs, and the ability for teams to go from good to bad to good again with rapid turnover in this league, their "consistency" is still something to be applauded.

4. Major

Major Member

Oh yeah - I'm not saying it was a bad decision to get him. He's helped them get to more success than they've had in a very long time. I think it's just put them in a difficult position. He's too good to drop or give up on, but (in my opinion) not good enough to win it all with them. Unlike a crappy team that can take a lot of risks on trying new QBs, I think they are kind of just stuck with him.

And it looks like they structured the contract with no guaranteed money beyond this year, so they've at least made it painless to cut him if they ever decide to change routes.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

Besides Newton and Luck (and maybe Griffin if he heals), there haven't been any first round QB's that they "missed" on that could have performed appreciably better than Dalton. And unless they had the #1 (or #2) pick, they wouldn't have been able to draft any of those guys.

Just like most 3 year periods, there will be more non first round pick QB's than first round pick QB's that stick as NFL starters. Granted, none of them may have the ceilings of Newton/Luck, but as long as teams are finding the playoffs (or winning it all) with the Flaccos (albeit a late first round pick), Daltons, Kapernicks, or Wilson's, teams are going to continue to approach things like the Texans have.

Additionally, if every team without an all-world QB prospect tanked in order to try to get one, there would be even more of a first-round QB failure rate than there already is. There simply isn't going to be a Newton or Luck every year in the draft... teams that get those guys are more "lucky" than having something they planned for (and I'm speaking about these guys as if they've already won something... nothing is guaranteed, and neither of those guys may ever win a SB... and their teams' flexibility could be hampered if they sign big extensions).

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The deal isn't nearly as bad as it sounded when it surfaced.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Man. I would almost rather draft a running QB type every four years than have to shell out premium dollars for a mediocre passing QB.

At least with a running QB you can dumb down the offense and let him get injured with impunity :p.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Define mediocre?

As a whole, Dalton has been paid far less than Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert.

Even including his signing bonus from his extension, he's still making far less vs. what he's actually been able to do.

A one year deal at his level is about the going rate for an established QB of a playoff team (especially if you consider Schaub's contract).

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gilbert Arenas of the NFL

10. Major

Major Member

Apparently, out 34 QBs that qualified over the past 3 years, Dalton is 23rd in Total QBR (yes, this is a crappy stat) according to ESPN. I think that qualifies as "blah" if nothing else. Not Gabbart-terrible, but certainly not good. I assumed it was a bit better than that, and I assume his other stats are come out better than his Total QBR, but still not good.

11. Remii

Remii Member

I think you should stick to basketball buddy.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Helping the Bengals get to the playoffs every year in that division is nothing to sneeze at.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Can't make fun of Flacco's contract anymore; at least he got 1 SB.

Flacco:120M
    Dalton:115M

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A lot of experts seem to think Dalton will regress a lot this season without Jay Gruden at the offensive helm.

15. baubo

baubo Member

Agreed. It's essentially painless to cut him in any year after year 1. Especially if the cap continues to grow.

I just find it painful because Dalton is the spiritual successor to Matt Schaub. It's sad to see such a ridiculously talented team being manned by someone so... mediocre.