1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Benching the entire starting unit 4 minutes into the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think what a lot of fans are looking for (ultimately) is evidence of self accountability. In this short 30 sec clip his reaction looks more like being caught off guard and in disbelief. Which doesn't mean that's the mark of a bad/good leader, just that it's not the reaction that tells the fan base, "man I'm pissed, and i have only myself to blame for this. I want in this game and I'll sit here pissed thinking about what I need to do different or look at myself to get back on the floor."

Should he be happy to go to the bench? of course not. But his reaction doesn't yell, "I'm the leader of this team and I need to get my head and heart in the game." Good move by JB, ball is in Harden's court to decide if his heart is really in this game or not.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am fine with him caring, seems he was embarrassed, and probably knows that the entire league will know, as ESPN and other will cover it.

If that is what it takes, then good.

DD

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think people are seeing what they want to see to support a narrative. He was shocked...and he stood there. Bev absolutely went over there and supported the new guys going in. It doesn't surprise me or disappoint me at all that Harden was shocked he was being pulled and didn't WANT to be pulled. A guy who has played at the level Harden has played at always thinks he's the best option out there, even if he's missed his last 10 shots.

In retrospect, they can look back later and say, "yeah...it sucked but it was a good move." But in the moment? Come on.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What about Howard?

I'd rather they both did what Bev did, and greet/encourage each player coming in. See video again of what Bev did.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is no "Come on" it was a great move Harden was doing his usual lazy beginning, and being careless with the ball - and JBB did not want that to be the narrative of this game.

And yes, Harden does think he is the best option, and he IS the best option when he is playing hard, when he isn't....he should be on the bench.

Harden can be an all time great, or a talented offensive player who is good, like Adrian Dantley or JR Rider.

But he has got to commit to playing hard - on both ends.....and more importantly CONSISTENTLY.

DD

6. MadMax

I think this is reading WAYYYY too much of an adopted narrative into about 10 seconds of time. There is no one in the NBA who has played at Harden's level who, if taken out of the game that early, would evidence in the moment the whole, "man, i only have myself to blame for this..." emotion that you're asking him to have in that moment. Maybe later...begrudgingly...but guys who are that good don't get to be that good by being happy with being benched or being surprised they're being pulled, even when they're not playing well in that moment. That kind of player always believes they're the best option on the next play....

7. MadMax

That's a discussion about his play. And I already said I agreed it was a good move from JBB. That's not the discussion I'm responding to...I'm responding to the criticism of his reaction.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

The fact that people think Harden response is the right one because he's a great player and all this nonsense, that's even worse isn't it. That shows you he's delusional and has never been reprimanded for his horrible effort. It wasn't even on defense so much this time. Are people really this stupid that they think a player doesn't know he's not playing the way he should?

9. Rox>Mavs

Yeah I agree...bev's response showed team first heart. I've just never been sold on Howard being the true leader of this team. He doesn't seem to have influence on the attitude of the player as much imo.

The difference between bev's response and one I look for from harden is bev is clearly not the leader and the primary influencer of the teams play out there. Bev showed heart and passion for the team play. I want (and I think most fans) want I see self accountability from Harden. Because we all know what he's capable of, he's just choosing not to give 100%.

10. heypartner

I agree. His reaction is not that big of a deal, anymore than Howard doing nothing. What a player's reaction is is not very much different than a starting pitcher being pulled before he wants to be. That happens like nearly every single MLB game.

11. MadMax

Great players don't always play great. Often they're benched. Sometimes, though rarely, it happens really early in a game. And I can guarantee you, not one of them, in that moment, feels like they should be on the bench and is happy about it.

12. MadMax

Absolutely right. Even after a guy has gone 100 pitches...a time when he KNOWS he should probably be pulled...there are many times those guys still don't want out of it. They've been successful enough in those moments in their careers and growing up that they feel they're the best option for the next hitter...even if a shutdown closer is waiting to come in. That's the nature of athletes who compete at that level.

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

Well maybe this a good wake up call then. Do people just not want to see how Harden is protesting being taken out?? Look at the game and the few minutes after the walking off.

14. Rox>Mavs

Sure, we're all reading into a small window of an event. The limitation of every fan base is we perceive based off a series of events that in turn develops a narrative. There is no other way for fans who have no access to the players directly to think and feel about the players.

That said, the narrative that harden isn't giving his best and just plays when he feels like it is a narrative he has certainly built and contributed to over the course of this season. So when people see a short clip of his reaction, yeah it's going to fit the narrative he's entirely responsible for creating.

15. MadMax

No one is arguing it was the wrong call by JBB. I'm certainly not. It was a good call...perhaps a wake up call...in that sense, it got EXACTLY the reaction it was designed to have. You should be worried if it doesn't get that reaction...if he just shrugs his shoulders and doesn't care if he's pulled from a game. That would be the sign of someone who just doesn't care at all. That's not what you saw from James Harden.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

That's arrogance and Harden competing at a high level, that does not match up..

17. MadMax

How does his reaction to this support the idea he isn't giving his best? I don't understand that at all.

He wasn't playing well...he got pulled...he was upset about getting pulled so early...he came back and played better.

I don't get how the reaction evidences he wasn't giving his best.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

I know. Yes, I agree with you on that. Let's hope he learns.

19. MadMax

Of course it's arrogance. What great player isn't arrogant? What great player doesn't deep down think he's anything other than the best...even if they give lip service to someone else?

If you don't believe you're great....you never will be.

20. heypartner

Protesting? sheesh. He's not protesting. Pippen protested. Parsons protested in the media recently after not playing in crunch time.

Pick a different word. Don't water down the word "Protesting"