1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Benching the entire starting unit 4 minutes into the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 5, 2016.

1. roksoer

roksoer Member

JBB almost cried in that gif when he sees Harden's unapproval.

His coaching career was probably flashing before his eyes.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Perfect. I didn't see the first half so didn't know this happened.

Well done by JB, and when Harden asked him what's going on near the bench he just shrugged and said something without removing his eyes from the game.

Smith told Harden right away that he's coming out. With a bench this strong, it's smart for JB to use it as a tool to drive home a message without actually having to clap or say anything. That bench can win 10-15 games against the worst teams and those are games where the starters are usually asleep.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Also about JB being nervous, that's obviously true but that is the only way he will salvage a coaching career in the NBA.

If he panders to Harden this allowing this team's cultural problems to persist, they will replace him in the summer.

In fact the only way JB keeps this job is if he makes big improvements and takes big risks which cause a significant change in the identity of this team. He took a risk that many coaches wouldn't, and that bodes super well for his coaching future especially considering it worked like a charm.

4. Nook

Nook Member

He didn't really do anything wrong... Other than being surprised ... He didn't even look upset.

5. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

I think you may be the one making things up... Its basketball 5 players go to the scorers table you know all 5 are coming in. The other 4 starters knew what was going on and immediately went to the bench.

You mean to tell me Harden with all his courtvision can't see that?
    On top of that Harden just stands there and it was Bev who said comon lets go from the sideline.

Notice Harden doesn't even clap hands with any of the subs coming in.. that is textbook jock for being upset.

6. Nook

Nook Member

If DD tells you that you are right, you are pretty much guaranteed to be wrong.

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

Anyone got video of this?

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

[​IMG]

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

haha he didnt even sit down its like he was still in shock "is this happening? coach benched 5 minutes into the game? it cant be, im james harden, THE GREATEST MOTHA F**KIN BASKETBALL PLAYER IN THE WHOLE GOD DAAM WORLD! PLAY ME MOTHA F**KA!"

1 person likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, and it even shocked the Hardennnettes apology squad.

DD

1 person likes this.
  12. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

This lack luster play has been going on all year.

I think Harden has gotten a bit "big headed" after his success last year, getting the Adidas deal and shacking up with a Kardashian.

All you have to do is watch the game to see that he does not give 100% on the court, doesn't move without the ball in his hands and spends way to much time flapping his lips at the referres.

Cudos to the coaching staff for benching his candy arse....

1 person likes this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Agreed. I've never wanted a "great" player to go away more in my life.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No, Harden is supposed to want out of the game...that's what a true leader would do. He's supposed to love sitting on the bench, and relish the coach taking him out...like a leader. All the best players love being pulled out of the game.

and, yes, I'm being sarcastic. I'm fine with JBB's decision..it was a good one. But reading in the assumptions around this themed narrative around Harden is silly.

15. tdo

tdo Member

So Harden is now supposed to want to go to the bench... That's what we as fans need to see from him now. Insane.

He is supposed to want to stay on the court. He is supposed to be pissed. I'd be much more worried if he was content with coming out of the game. Hopefully he gets the message, and comes out with more intensity at the start of games.

16. tdo

tdo Member

Damn, basically my exact post with better sarcasm. I completely agree. Great decision by JBB, and Harden's reaction is exactly what you would expect. Hopefully the message hits home for Harden.

17. Rox11

Rox11 Member

His bum**** needs to sit when he is being a bum, simple.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And he did...but you really want him to not care? To not care that he's sent to the bench? The criticism in this thread hasn't been just for his play at the beginning but for his reaction. I'd be far more upset if he walked to the bench acting like he didn't care.

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

These type of responses piss me off! Did you not see him continue to talk to J.B. or whoever, walking along the sidelines, then continue to stand only to end up sitting away from the team along the baseline. Something Rodman used to do when he was being selfish.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I guess you can say Howard walked to the bench acting like he didn't care.

When I watched the vid after, I noticed how Bev went and greeted/encouraged everyone who was coming in. That's really what we would want Harden and Howard to do as well.

Here's vid again.

<video width="auto" height="auto" loop preload="none" autoplay poster="//cdn.streamable.com/image/orog.jpg">
    <source src="//cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/orog.mp4" type="video/mp4" class="mp4-source"/>

</video>