1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bench production observations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hilarious, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

Soo first of all, I never EVER thought I gonna be starting a thread on here, but today I was bored and had some spare time. Have to add, that I'm NOT an expert stats guy and never had stat courses after the basic ones :p

Well to the topic now..
    Recently there were some guys questioning our bench production to the point where comments were made like, ''our bench suxx'' ''in the po's they are gonna be our reason of fail!!!'' etc.

To me, that was clearly not the case, and I thought how can I measure the bench production beyond the basic +/- and ppg/rpg stats. I can tell I am still working on that :grin:

But in the meantime I tried to at least have some better ways to look into the stats to be able to at least compare the production to an extent.

These tables are, what I came up with..I am gonna post our Rockets and the Clippers for comparison (I have also the same stat allocation table for the Thunder and the Spurs being our biggest rivals in the West, if there is a positive reaction to this one I will post them too.)

[​IMG]

so as you can see I focused solely on the bench and compare them to the last 15 opponents we faced. Figures in red just mean, that we were worse in that regard (or in the case of secs/mins played had less) than the other team.

The Wins/Losses stuff is some conclusion I took out of the data. If the bench +/- simulated to 100 minutes (total for the whole bench) has a greater value either on the + side for wins or on the negative side in losses COMPARED to the win/loss margin of the final score I considered this the reason for a win/loss.

The bold framed wins/losses are such games btw.

It's similar with the 'Wins despite bench playing bad' where if the bench simulated +/- is greater in the - than the difference in the final score I added those scores.

Notable: Asik didn't play in 3 of those 15 games and 2 of those 3 games were wins despite a bad bench.

Now on to the Clippers..

[​IMG]

as you can see contrary to the common belief, we seem to hold our ground in bench production compared to the clipps. Of course, there has to be noted, that Reddick isn't playing and Crawford missed 3 games fully and had to leave 2 earlier. On the other hand injuries are part of the business (as we had our share with Asik, Lin seems to have had some problems and Parsons being ill so Ham had to start once)

Whats really intriguing is, that they had 4 losses BECAUSE of their bench, and those were all before Crawfords injury.

Like I said above I have also tables for the Spurs and OKC (which also are interesting I think) but its up to you if there is enough interest there to post them.

I also would be open to extent the tables with other stats like assists, t/o's, steals blocks etc.

For now I would conclude, that with the addition of Ham and the reemergence of Asik only Lin's play is left to improve (he was better in his last 2 I think tho). The bench wasn't more of a letdown, as it is for other contenders (I can assure you that since I also saw the tables for the Spurs and OKC)

So let the bashing begin ;)

1 person likes this.
  2. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

edit: just saw, that it should be 3 losses by the Clippers bench not 4 sorry for that..

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The roasted chickens at Sam's Club and Costco are vastly superior in size to that of Wal-Mart.

4. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

What a well thought, telling and intelligent response..guess its reflecting your iq too :cool: thanks for the input

5. StrawberryJamm

That 2nd unit should go to DMO in the post more often.

6. jocar

jocar Member

You might wanna leave that one out! There's a glaring lack of cohesion out there that will make our bench look terrible when compared to the teams you mentioned.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

rather than try to make the bench play the same style as the starters, i'd rather see them play to their strengths as a unit.

we don't need dmo shooting 3's and hamilton/ lin going 1-1. we need dmo posting up (when dwight isn't in with him). we need lin/asik to play PnR. and we need hamilton to use off-ball screens to get open for easy shots.

right now we have dmo on the perimeter and lin/hamilton trying to attack off the dribble for a drive and kick, or just to shoot. our bench is talented but not playing to their strengths.

1 person likes this.
  8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I agree with you. Not to bash McHale but the guy has been a little slow to change. So maybe he will figure that out a little more before the playoffs.

9. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Redick missing most of the season and Cp3 missing 20 games hurt their bench a lot since Crawford and Collison are a big part of the Clippers bench and had to start. Not to mention the backup bigs were Jamison and Mullens and they are now replaced by Granger and Big Baby. Pretty irrelevant stats imo.