1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bench Brigade: Bonzi, Scola and James

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Oct 18, 2007.

1. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I would not have recognized Bonzi last night had it not been for his giant bald head. You really cannot tell how much weight he has lost until you see him in person.

He looks good. Really good.

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

depends completely on his ability to adjust to NBA rules and officiating. Against starting calibur PF's, he will be in foul trouble within 4 minutes of the first quarter. Hence, it makes sense for him to come off the bench. I think he'll come off the bench most of the year, but have big minutes overall.

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Scola willl flounder even more if he has to play on the second team.The reason being that Coach A hasn't realized that Mike James is still playing the 'me' game and needs to be worked back into TEAM BASKETBALL!! :p
    I feel sure that Scola didn't come to the NBA to be treated as another V Span.

4. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

That was funny!

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Great post by the thread starter. The Rockets are ridiculously deep. Distributing minutes could be a problem, but it should lead to healthy competition for those minutes as well. This well help save a lot of wear and tear on the bodies of the older players so that everyone can be fresh once the playoffs start. Houston might have the deepest team in the NBA.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The way Bonzi has played in preseason, he's making a nice case to start. If he can keep it up, I'd be in favor of the move. It would allow TMac to slide to small forward, which I think is his best position at this point. With James, Scola, and Francis off the bench, I think we'd still have enough scoring in the second unit. The only real loss as I see it is Battier's defense. It's pretty valuable having him chase around the Kobes of the league instead of TMac.

I think Scola will eventually start, too, but there's no telling how long it will take for him to curtail his turnovers and fouls. Hayes ought to start until Scola gets more consistent, but of course Hayes has those same problems as well. Those two are going to have some scary games where our supposed incredible depth is tested at that position.

So I guess we've just accepted that Rafer is the starter again this year? Wow. What a turn!