1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Shapiro and the BBC enjoy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, May 11, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That really went sideways from the outset. Ben was unnecessarily defensive over Neil's characterization of recent Pro-Life policies, so much so he basically started mis-attributing words to Neil altogether (this ended up looking like Ben was projecting a bit of a guilty conscience about the policies). I do agree with Ben that the old quotes he's already apologized for, plucked out of context, was kind of cheap and annoying, but he could have handled it better obviously. He also completely whiffed and looked really terrible on the civil discourse topic, his OWN NETWORK is responsible for those video titles. Frankly I'm glad someone finally called him on that. Things were on thin ice by the time the Judaism/Israel/Palestine anvil got dropped on the discussion, which is another sore spot (sometimes blindspot) of Ben's. I think this episode is the result of Ben not dealing with adversarial press often enough (not entirely his fault) and getting too comfortable in the blogosphere of long-form interviews and speeches to friendly thinktanks. Clearly a huge mistake on Ben's part not to research who he would be speaking with. At least he took the L honestly, unlike most pundits.

biff17 likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

I think a lot of these youtube “pundits” get stuck in their own bubble. If he wants to be taken seriously outside of his bubble then these are the type of things he will need to overcome.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Like I said, it's not entirely his fault. Ben can't get a minute of airtime on most liberal networks because those mediums will get blasted as promoting hate speech, nazism, or some other such nonsense by the far left. Conservatives gladly evangelize in enemy territory. Lately liberals don't. That has to change.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I disagree. I see plenty of youtube liberal pundits wanting to debate the likes of Candice Owens and Charlie Kirk but maybe because they understand how easy of a debate that would be for them?

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Don't conflate YouTube with network television. YouTubers (though I enjoy many of them) are a flea on a dog's ballsack compared to network TV. The mothership of liberal YouTube networks (TYT, barf) won't go near most conservatives with a 10 foot pole.

7. dmoneybangbang

No, it is his fault. He created his own image within his own bubble. He intentionally seeks a bunch of feather weights “to own” so he has no real experience.

Remember, he got undressed by British Conservative publicly.

8. fchowd0311

Your point makes less sense with MSM. MSM is known to use click bait "both sides" pundit poo flinging games to generate views. CNN is the most guilty of this. They are more than willing to have right wing pundits on their shows because it creates more revenue. They do it all the time.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I guess a lot of modern conservative pundits (read: new media pundits) are just lying then that they can't get airtime on liberal networks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I've been following Shapiro's career for many years and I simply have to disagree. Take that for what it's worth. I have no reason to fluff Shapiro, but that is my observed experience.

11. fchowd0311

Ya probably. They are perpetual victim complex abusers.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It doesn't make sense that they would eschew free airtime/exposure given that they are underground/alternative (for lack of a better word).

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Speaking of liberals unwilling to venture into enemy territory... dammit Liz.

14. fchowd0311

She's more than willing to go to Midwestern deep red States and campaign and talk to Trump country Republicans.

I disagree specificly with her not wanting to go on Fox News but that doesn't mean she is completely unwilling to debate and confront Trump supporters and GOP pundits.

15. dmoneybangbang

That’s fine, I know what I’ve seen from him.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The issue with liberal media types not going to talk with the other side is understandable though. If I was a Youtuber or podcaster I’d have reservations myself. Simply because the right in debates simply shout over and on top of you. If there was a solid debate space for this interaction I would think you’d have Liberal media folks all over that.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

She’s not wrong here but I actually think this is a mistake on her part and think she would surprise people about how well she’d do in this town hall forum ... IF... and that’s a big IF... the moderator allowed for full answers and didn’t filibuster.

Likely talks broke down over questions they were going to ask which were likely 30 different ways of asking about her Native American heritage.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

ben shapiro is not a "master at arguments" to anybody except conservatives who lack the ability to form a coherent argument themselves. He stands by fallacies and passes them off as fact in his debates, falling back on a robotic stubborn style which leads to people (dumb conservatives who jerk themselves off to him once again) thinking he won.

Most of his debates are against stupid liberal kids that don't know what they're talking about. This is also a perfect example of the victim complex that exists with modern day republicans, he immediately accused the interviewer of being a liberal when he was challenged

#58 LosPollosHermanos, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  19. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude I just googled Shapiro and CNN and got 4 results of him a appearing on the network.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?
    q=ben%20shapiro%20cnn&FORM=HDRSC3&pc=SUWI

Here he is on abc.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...cvid=3986F33C66774B7CABACF84064722177&pc=SUWI

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Honestly, this is probably the number one reason she said no to Fox News. She probably figured that a 1 hr town hall from Fox News will be just a bunch of "randomly selected people" asking about her Native American claims 20 different ways and hardly any discussion on genuine policy would be had.