1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beltran and the Mets

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Cat, Sep 28, 2008.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

On a pretty terrible day (Texans), this makes me smile a little bit. To the biggest traitor in Houston sports history, I'd like to say:

hahahahahahahahaha

In 2006, Beltran strikes out with the bases loaded and 2 outs to end Game 7 of the NLCS and send the Cardinals to the World Series. In 2007, the Mets choke away a 7 game lead with 17 to play and miss the playoffs. In 2008, they give up a September lead in the East to the Phillies and then give up a 2.5 game lead in the WC in the final week to the Brewers.

My apologies to Nice Rollin and any other Mets fans on the board -- wouldn't wish this on anyone, with the exception of Carlos Beltran, who deserves every little bit of it. :)

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

:D :) :D

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

OK, I'm not a big fan of Beltran either and I certainly don't want to derail a Mets' bashing thread, but the biggest Houston traitor is Bud Adams. It's not even a contest, especially with a guy who was only here four months out of the season.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Every professional baseball player in New York should be walking around with bags over their heads. The fact that they were both unable to qualify for the playoffs despite the glaring advantages is nothing short of pathetic.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Suck it, Carlos Beltran and the rest of the Mets.

If anything good comes out of this financial crash, New York will have to stop building the new stadium and the Mets will have to keep playing in the same dump.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Karma is great sometimes, isn't it?

7. The Cat

Fair point, I'll revise it to of this century... how's that? :)

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Mets still suck..how many pennants ya won since ya left, carlos?

9. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Swang on DEEZ NUTZ CARLOS!

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

ohh yeahhhh! ha, I still listen to Chance's Beltran Idiot song sometimes

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget Quitten!

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I'm glad they are nuking Shea. Its a dump.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think you guys know how I feel about the Oilers fiasco. It wasn't all Bud...I'll leave it at that. No inside knowledge just an opinion.

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It's nice to know we've had some post season success since he left. I really hope those extra millions were worth it playing for a loser team.

15. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Agreed, but his persona, and his anxiousness to screw over the city of Houston in favor making a quick buck didn't help matters.

Back on topic: Beltran sucks. :D
    <br>
    <br>

16. Landlord Landry

Beltran never betrayed us......he was a rental player, he had no obligation to stay here, nor any obligation to give us any sort of notice.

He was a Houston Astro all of 3 months. woopity doo.

Scott Boras jammed the Astros more than Beltran did. get over it people, it was almost 5 years ago.

17. The Cat

This mentality never ceases to amaze me. If anyone -- player or otherwise -- hires an agent or someone to represent them -- they are responsible for that person's actions when done in the context of representing them. Beltran could've (and still could) dismiss Boras at any moment. Carlos is the one in charge. He's the one being paid. He can call whatever shot he wants, and is thus responsible for any tactics Boras takes.

No one said he had an obligation to stay here. But, any player or person has an obligation to basic human decency. That is, if you intend to leave your employer regardless of price/salary, be forward with them and tell them that. (It's obvious this was the case, because the Astros' offer = the Mets' offer minus state income tax.) If your heart is in another place, tell them that -- and certainly don't say (as many outlets claimed) that you'd prefer to stay, if the salaries are similar.

And above all, if you want a no-trade clause (he didn't, just a creative out Boras gave him for the media), you don't wait until 40 minutes before the deadline to tell your employer that, when you've been in negotiations for three months. If your employer treated you well (as the Astros and city of Houston clearly did), you should feel a moral obligation not to use them, not to lie and/or be misleading and to give them a fair opportunity to replace you, if you know you're leaving (and all evidence suggests he did).

No, there's no written contract that requires such basic decency. But if you don't use it, you should be prepared to deal with the consequences -- which are that the supporters of the team are going to feel betrayed and be very angry for a very long time.

If you don't like it, I think you're the one that needs to get over it.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Between your Ausmus bashing, Beltran condoning, and saying that people *shouldn't* whine about Kubiak blowing the non-punt play.. I don't think I've ever disagreed with one person over so many things on here in 1 day.

19. Landlord Landry

I'm not even sure Beltran wanted to play for the Mets. I remember Boras trying to start a 3 way bidding war with the Mets, Yankees, and Astros and Drayton gave an offer and didn't budge. Cashman said no thanks, and he ended up with the Mets.

and how many players have told their agents (especially Boras) to shove it in the best interest of respecting the club and in the interest of 'decency'?

very few.

Boras has so many clients because of his reputation for exctract maximum dollars, regardless of how he obtains it. Beltran did nothing new or out of the ordinary. It's the industry standard.

20. Landlord Landry

Bashing Ausmus, or stating facts that arent exactly gleeful?

condoning Beltran, or again......stating the obvious?

I never said they *shouldn't* whine, just that they do. and it wasn't over the non punt, it's over everything is Kubiaks fault, he's a horrible coach, doesn't belong in the NFL crap.

nice stretch of the truth though. ;)