1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Believe it or not: John Wall could declare!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BasketballReasons, Apr 15, 2009.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25945

This draft could be interesting after all. If Rubio declares (which I think he won't), then there would be a toss-up between 1 and 3. Depending on each teams needs.
    Now that Wall could declare, is Griffin still locked-up at #1? He is amazing, but great PG's don't come along that often...

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Lol I feel like CNN right here; 31 views, 0 replies :D

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Wall has already stated that he isn't going to declare this season.

Plus it would mean that he wasn't going to graduate from high school and his AAU coach said that he pretty much already has... so it's merely a technicality.

4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

If he declares, the whole draft becomes Rose vs Beasley part two. Lets not forget Rubio if he declares.

Despite the weak draft, we will get some nice PG talent.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

GO BAYLOR!!!!!

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The danger of course is a basketball version of the Maurice Clarrett story. Wall would be attacking the establishment against a sports league even more dictatorial than the NFL. Why bite off more than you can chew when you don't have to? It just seems too risky to me, to wager a career on behalf of a rookie season.

From what I've read, the language is clear that not only do you have to be 19 at the time of the draft, but you have to have been graduated from HS for at least a year. It seems pretty clear to me that he would be challenging a well-established rule if he chose to do so.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The NBA would never fight for a reversal like the NFL and ruin a kids life the way the NFL ruined Mike Williams. High schoolers going pro? Senior PGs transferring to Michigan to play QB? Weird stuff.

8. Chamillionaire

completely agree, he needs to go to at least a year of college and get some more discipline, he's still a kid.

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Wall is a Derrick Rose clone. I agree with the TS that it would become a matter of need. He could use a year of college, but that won't hurt his stock at all. I'll say this, Rose's performance yesterday will certainly be in scouts minds when deciding on what they use their top 3 pick on.

10. Hayesfan

That's why Wall should come to UK and play for Calipari.. he too can be like Derrick Rose ;)

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't think his performance will really be on the minds of how people use their top 3 pick on. It all depends on who are the top guys in the draft.

12. King1

They take everything into consideration. Like I said, Wall is basically a clone of Rose. That's who the scouts consensus comparison is. Naturally, people will remember the impact of a pg like Rose when thinking of Wall. Of course it comes down to need, ect....That being said, the only players in the draft I would even think about taking ahead of Wall are Griffin and Rubio (if he declares).

13. King1

I agree here. Cal would be a great coach to help Wall develop.

1 person likes this.
  14. Shaud

Shaud Member

I agree with what you are saying, it is hard to explain what I meant.

As for Rubio, I keep hearing he will not declare this year but will most likely wait until next year.

15. King1

It's really back and forth with Rubio. His club just offered to lower his buyout if he stays another year. I think he's leaning towards going pro. I really think he should. This is a really weak draft class, and he's a guaranteed top 3 pick (top 2 if Wall is out of the mix). Pretty exciting young group of pg's either in the league or coming up.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I just wanted to say I've seen a little bit of Wall and it's very early to call him a clone of Derrick Rose. They are similar but we don't know how this guy will translate to the NBA.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah, Cal is a great coach. He taught me everything I know.

Signed,

Joey Dorsey

:D

18. Hayesfan

He is... he took someone who had no business being drafted and made him a high second rounder. ;)

Joey struggled with his injury, I would imagine we will see a completely different Joey in preseason next year.

19. King1

That's fair. I've seen both play in AAU a pretty decent amount and they are very similar players. I felt Rose was a little stronger then Wall, but Wall is a little more athletic. You're definitely right though. You never know how they will translate. IMO, Wall is about as close to can't miss as a high school prospect right now.

20. King1

Actually, Cal did a great job with Dorsey. He played a huge role on Memphis. He's a very athletic guy who's undersized and extremely limited offensively, and Cal made him into a defensive anchor of a team that went to the NCAA Championship. I'd say that's a pretty good job.