1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

being friends with an exgirlfriend - good idea?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rm365, Nov 26, 2006.

1. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

My ex-girlfriend broke up with me around 4 months ago. We are both around 28 years old, things weren't going so great and we were arguing a lot.
    She was the first girl that I ever loved, so at first it was pretty rough.
    Quite a few bottles of beer and rebound dates later, I think I've gotten over her but there are still days when I really miss and think about her.

I'm dating a new girl now and so far things are going great.

However, I still want to be regular friends with my ex if thats possible. I don't know if its because deep down I want to get back with my ex. I just know that I don't want her out of my life.
    We haven't talked since early October. I pleaded with her to give me another chance and she basically told me to move on and stopped responding to my calls/emails. I wrote her some poetry and mailed it to her, but she didn't acknowledge it. My birthday recently passed and she didn't bother to call.

Some time has passed since we last spoke... should I pick up the phone and try to reach out to her?

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I think you should move on. Seems like she already has. If you become friends with her, you'll develop feelings for her again and she might not feel the same. I'm no Doctor Phil but it would only open deeper wounds.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

considering how ugly that exchange at the end must have been, it looks (from an outsider's view) like the death sentence for that relationship. It's hard, if not impossible, to recover from that type of stuff.

But you know the type of relationship you two were in and the way you interacted better than anyone here so it's impossible to give a 100% correct answer.

I would venture to say that "you're screwed" because I'm not sure you're actually over her (which is a recipe for disaster) and that an ugly ending like that rarely ever heals itself to the point you can develop a good friendship.

But that's my two cents.

4. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

You do not sound like somebody who wants to be "friends" with his ex. Mailing her poetry that she didn't respond to? She has cut off all communication? From your short description sounds like you just want her to acknowledge you, which would make you feel better about yourself.

Take her advice and move on.

5. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

I think I have moved on. I'm dating a new girl now that I really like and who really likes me.

However, I guess I want to bake and eat my cake too because I don't want my ex girlfriend out of my life forever. It feels like someone I was close with died if I never talk to her again.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's hardly a good idea, but i am good friends with my first ever g/f from 11 years ago. it's been a strange relationship with her. went from dating, to not talking for 2 years, became friends when i ran into her during college. we started talking about getting together but it never happened. since then, we've kept in touch. she lives in Dallas with her fiance but whenever they're in town, we go out to have dinner together. as a matter of fact, we had dinner last night with her cousins.

and she's the only ex i've kept up with.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Another vote for moving on.

You're getting consumed by this, not healthy. Let time pass and see if she contacts you instead, it will mean she is being receptive again and removed the mental block on you. Otherwise constantly contacting her without her responding is a big red light.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It can be done
    and
    is worth it

HOWEVER
    You nor her need to have ANY Unresolved issues

Me and my Ex are friends. . but I HAVE NO DESIRE TO BE WITH HER AGAIN
    and Vice Versa

I mean . .we good friends. . . horrible MORE THAN FRIENDS

Rocket River

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Simple answer to question in title- No not a good idea

After reading your story, Definitely move on.. Now is not the time and there's no guarantee there is ever a time. you should just forget about it and never look back.. Only IF she reaches out to you repeatedly and genuinely wants to be in your life, should you THINK about it. Even then the right answer still might be to forget about her and move on.

10. docgundy

docgundy Member

We can keep telling each other that you should move on, blah blah blah. But we're failing to understand how hard it actually is to move on. Yes, rm365 can come out and say okay, I'm moving on, but its not that easy. I know people who have been in situations like this before, and it takes months, if not years, to get those feelings out of the system. Not calling her or stalking her or asking friends about her would be a good start. Get deep in your current relationship, and things will work themselves out for the best. That way when you do see this girl a few years down the road, all those feelings will be burnt and never rekindled.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If you remain friends, you still have a chance of hitting it later on.

12. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Agreed.

It doesn't sound as though she's interested in continuing a relationship of any kind with you. Its possible she might've considered a friendship had you respected her decision post breakup and continued to pursue her. In your shoes, I'd cut my losses and move on; however, if you wish to pursue a friendship, I'd first assess your situation and make absolutely sure a friendship is what you really want. I'd hold off a couple of months at least before sending a casual email. Move slow and prepare yourself for the possibility she's not interested. Do not pursue the friendship under false pretenses.

13. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

True...but talk about opening Pandora's box.

Uh..no pun intended....

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If you're writing her poetry and bothered that she didn't call for your birthday, you obviously want to be more than friends. So, no, it's not a good idea to try to stay friends with her at this point.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

true...but once you hit it a couple of times, you're back in the relationship, or something similar, meaning no other time for other chicas...

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

m o v e o n . o r g

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If both of you were that serious, 4 months is not that long. She wants more time between you before even thinking about being just friends.

If other women don't suit you, buy use some of that money you used to spend on women and just enjoy the time you have for yourself.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'd say it's possible, but you'd probably be well-served to wait it out for a lot longer..

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't know about your situation, but my ex wife and I are very close. Now, she's like my sister. I consider her family.

But, it definitely takes two to be able to do that and we're both mature enough and care about each other's happiness enough to make it work. And, it is EXTREMELY important that you both have moved on with your lives and have no desire to re-kindle any relationship. Otherwise, it won't work.

20. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

This is a really bad idea. You should move on. You're better off without her.

unless you think you can swing a threesome...

:eek: :D :cool: :eek: :D :cool: :eek: :D :cool: