1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before you go off the ledge: The Rockets are 2-4 against above average teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 5, 2012.

1. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

The problem is they are 2-4 against above average teams, and getting blown out in the losses. McHale is pulling starters early 3rd quarter. Is he tanking but making us think he's competing?

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

See, these comments are what bothers me the most. When the rockets had the francis small era, at least there was hope because of the talent. This team right now don't have the talent ceiling and thats very painful for me as a fan. The only thing I'm enjoying is watching lowry play, but as posters have pointed out about other players, he's putting up stats on a bad team.

I think at some point very soon, morey is just going to have to get rid of martin and scola and play the younger guys. Scola is one of my favorites, but he has patterson and hill who need time to develop. Martin is "effecient" , but is terrible at defending his position, can't rebound,and doesnt pass. Not to mention he snow birds alot on defense. When your supposedly best player doesn't give effort on defense, it sets a bad example for everyone else.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is my problem too. Are we supposed to be winning now or rebuilding? No one seems to know. What I do know is that you can't do both simultaneously (see Astros since Bagwell and Biggio retired).

I hear you, man. I think it's pretty sad that a franchise with our rich history has so many fans that are willing to say "sure, we lose a lot of games....but we only lose to the good teams. We'll start winning more when we play the bad teams."

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm sure some of the other variables that us fans don't consider are the practice time, training camp, and back-back-back schedules that have all gone along with having a new head coach and system.

All I can do is sit back and be pateint. We've been thru 6 games and have seen the good, the bad, and the uber ugly so it could be worse... or better, depending on how you look at the loses.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, I had much less hope in the Francis era than I do now. Francis himself had a low ceiling because he just wasn't that smart. Mobley was your typical average SG. And other than perhaps Griffin's rookie year we had no one else worth rooting for. Because we had a bunch of overpaid crappy players like Cato, Mo Taylor, Glen Rice, Kenny Thomas, etc.

Now the T-Mac/Yao era I had great expectations.

I only made this thread as a response to all the knee-jerk threads about trading everyone and McHale sucks etc. etc. etc. The current team is obviously not built to win anything. So there's no need to overreact when a better team beat us.

It's one thing to wonder which direction the Rockets are heading. And I share those concerns. It's another to just start blaming everyone from managment to players when they're performing as their talent level indicates. It's as illogical as blaming Yao for not being Hakeem or blaming Chuck Hayes for not being Ben Wallace.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I agree with everything you say. I wasn't referring to you specifically, just an overall feeling I get when I read the GARM.

I just think the fans expectations have dropped in the last decade or so. Seems like we're okay with "almost" beating the lakers in the playoffs (even though they were clearly just toying with us after Yao went down) and other moral victories like a 22-game winning streak that precedes a 1st round playoff loss, or 13 in 33, etc. I tend to look at the bigger picture.

I know, I know....I'm just a grumpy old Rockets fan who can't forget about the past. :)

#26 ima_drummer2k, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  7. conquistador#11

with no off season to adjust to the mchale ways, blowouts are going to happen. Ppat looks like he has never touched a basketball before that's all rust due to his injury.

8. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I'm mostly dissapointed in our defense. I'm fine with losing I've just never been on the boat that we needed to get rid of our good players to do it.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Every loss puts a smile on my face. And Knicks loss to.

10. SeabrookMiglla

Seabrook2

Geez,i am so tired the b****ing. We are a young team, with a new coach and no summer camp wtf do you expect. What everyone keeps forgetting is that: WE HAVE STARTED OFF THIS SEASON BETTERTHAN LAST!!! We lost our first 5 games, and were 2 of 6. Even under your all be praised to allah rick adelman. I know the same people were calling for his head at that time as well, and that HOF coach had his team in summer camp.give mchale a break hes not that bad..

Remember our 25 minute yao, and our two teams in one that everyone was complaining about having no identity. Well you know what WE DO HAVE AN IDENTITY THIS SEASON we are young and inexpierienced. I likethis season more than last because at least we are committed to rebuilding, especially after our pau trade got swiped.last season we started out with playing a broken record 25 minutes a game causing us to lose and barely missing the playoffs. I think management knows we are not better than a lot of teams right now, but we are still better than a lot of teams right now. Its not the end of the world people, a star will come to houston soon MARK MY WORDS

Not every ****ing star can go to miami, nyc, LA,chicago. Houston is top 5 biggest cities in the US with good prices and big meals and badass chicks. So chill its not the end of the world, we just came outta the tmac yao saga.

1 person likes this.
  11. nadman89

nadman89 Member

12. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we cannot start a lineup of Bud, Martin, Hill, and Scola. No freaking way. That is the softest lineup i've ever seen. Where's the defense? Clipps scored 41 in one quarter against that lineup. I hope i never see this again. Either McHale needs to alter the starting rotation or Morey needs to pull off a trade ...quickly. I don't think i can watch those 4 on the floor together again this year. Something's got to give.

14. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

This response actually proved everyone's point who's in the camp of wanting to blow the team up. If the current team is not built to win anything, why would you want to keep it together? What kind of cap flexibility do we have next season to add impact players? I don't think enough to make a true difference. Are we going to be bad enough to get a top pick or are we going to be again in that fringe playoff spot? It's pretty much an ongoing circle of mediocrity.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets didn't. Hence the Gasol trade.

Exactly. Hence the Gasol trade.

But it's not Scola or McHale or Morey or KMart or Hill or any other Rockets' fault that David Stern screwed us over.

16. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

The Gasol trade didn't happen so the team is still together. Expect fans to continue to want it to be dismantled until it ACTUALLY happens

17. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Patience is a virtue

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's a lot of factors that the Rockets are dealing with to start the season (versus last season).

Negatives:

1. Clearly the way ref's are calling fouls is affecting Kevin Martin. So far - for the better. He is adjusting though. Seems like his shot selection is better and if that holds that should blunt the loss in ft's a bit. He won't average 25 points a game again, but that's ok

2. Chuck Hayes is gone. He was more than a defender, he was a huge presence. With Battier already gone, the team doesn't have the leadership it did before.

3. Chase always starts slow

4. Many new faces - Dalembert, Parsons, T-Will, and others.

Positives:

1. Luis Scola is as consistent as ever

2. Kyle Lowry is playing his best overall basketball and showing all-star potential

So what does this portend too? Well, I am one who hopes we have a developmental season and finish with less than 15 wins. Sadly, that is not going to happen.

Our 2-4 record is very misleading. It actually is .500. We are 2-0 at home, and 0-4 on the road - against very tough teams. I expected worse. The fact that we have looked so good at home, and at times looked good on the road is saying this team actually does have game.

What it lacks is confidence. We just don't play with confidence on the road. Maybe it is fatigue. Maybe it is all the new faces. Maybe it is Kmart trying to find his new way to produce. There are many factors, but we are timid on the road.

As we gain confidence, we'll play better at both ends of the court. Although, at the end of the day, the hurdles of a lack of front court height and a go-to guy, as well as the weaknesses at center and small forward will probably keep us a mediocre team at best.

Still, 2-4 is better than what I expected.

19. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

me personally, i believe that if the refereeing was anywhere near good this season we'd be 4-2 right now, even still ending up 4-6 after the first 10 is fine with me considering the teams but this team truly is dr. jekyll and mr. hyde