1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before season started: What would you consider successful?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mkahanek, May 21, 2015.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Sorry if this thread is out of place, but after that heart break I am trying to ground my thoughts.

If you were to rewind and think about the beginning of the season. What would your grading criteria have been for judging the success of this team for the 2014-2015 season:

Here was mine in October:

Lose in first round: Complete and utter failure. Time to seriously think about some major changes save for Harden. Maybe Howard

Win first round, but lose in 2nd without even competing: Lets face it. This was where we fit through four games against the Clippers. I would have considered it progress, but disappointing. Probably 2 to 3 players away from being a serious contender.

Win first round, but lose in 2nd in a competitive 6 or 7 game series and simply losing to a better team, but giving them a run: I would have considered this to be natural progression and acceptable. Not a failure, but not a screaming success. Just expected progression leaving us a player or two away from serious contention.

Winning the second round and making conference finals: At that point I consider the season a success. That may be tainted a bit if we get to the conference finals but get blown out in a sweep.

Well as I type this I have to realize the rockets have succeeded this season.

I think I needed to type this out. It was therapeutic.

Anyone else care to share their expectations.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes. This is a successful season even if they forfeit the next 2 games

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

making it out of the playoffs

anything after that is bonus for me

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I mean first round playoffs

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Season is a success after we made it to WCF. Any other season without GSW coming out of nowhere we would be champions.

I feel the same way I did when taking the Lakers to seven.

Any other year we would be champs.
    Sadly that doesn't really mean **** but well.. Moral victory I guess.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

WCF to be honest. But now I want more. This team is too good to have it all end in this round.

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

If I knew before the season started that we would go this far and still playing at the end of May, it would have been euphoria for me. Many so called analysts predicted us not even making the playoff.

That said, we are so close right now.

But Yeah, Harden is only 25, two years younger than Curry.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't give a damn about preseason predictions. The team is here, and they can win a title. Just making one too many mistakes to get there.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2nd round - small victory

WC Finals or Finals - BIG WIN

11. MD_in_Training

Idk about you guys, but I'm with the "if you aren't first, then you're last" crowd. No one cares if you made it out of the first round. Hell, Houston Rockets fans 15 years from now won't even remember. You either take the ship or you don't take the ship.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thank you, Mr. Alexander. I appreciate your honesty.

13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Mine was essentially "have a competitive 6-7 game second round series". This is gravy.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Except that in any other year the Spurs would be playing .....;):grin:

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Western Conference Finals. I'd call this season a success. I thought last year we underachieved by not making the 2nd round, but this year, we more than made up for it by winning 2 series.

Of course, now this means that next year it's title or bust(barring a comeback in this series of course).

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

chances to win a title is hard...you have to go get it when you get those chances...

Right now not all is lost...The Rockets need to go protect home court...then it becomes a best of 3. The way the refs have jobbed the Rockets, I totally expect home cooking at the TC...just dont know how many of these games Harden has left...He is giving everything this series...he needs his teammates. that was the key last series...It is gonna be key in Houston.

Houston has a massive edge with all the playoff teams remaining...A athletic center...If they can just find a way to exploit the paint a bit more...the Rockets have a real shot.

This series has all the looks of a 7 game thriller...but the Rockets need to take care of business.. Havent lost three in a row all season....wont happen at the TC..

PS...Not sure about how Vegas is taking this but losing on yet an another 9.5 line is hella funny. Folks making cash of the Rockets.

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I agree with this. BUT, now that we are here. I WANT MORE. Hell man. Combined 5 points and down 0-2 and we are doing it to ourselves. Dumb turnovers and missed free throws. This could easily be 2-0. That is what makes it so frustrating.

19. datboidavid

datboidavid Member

Just getting out of the first round. Everything since has been bonus.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I have to admit that WCF is all I expected and I'm happy about it. But now that we are here, I want to win. I know deep in my heart that this team is better than GSW but something happens when they play this team and they always lose. Hopefully that changes.