1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

?

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

1. True

282 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. False

231 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

It's threads like these that gives clutchfans a bad rep lately. But even worst the owner of the site made it... Now everybody on the net is going to use this thread as an example to why clutchfans is cancerous... I think Clutch emotionally made a mistake by making this poll.

1 person likes this.
  2. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Definitely.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I think it's because Harden's been consistently that bad every game whereas Jeremy had a good game, then a TERRIBLE game, then a good game, then a TERRIBLE game...so it will elicit a more rollercoaster response because even though it averages out the same, in practice it feels quite different (and obviously affects games differently too since they don't average games together and tell you who won haha).

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

If the same exact question was in regards to Harden, the answer would likewise be false. The question is not, how Lin or Harden has done in the series as a whole prior to game 5. The question is have Lin (or Harden in your hypothetical) ever in the series done a great job of sparking the offense, which is an important and clear distinction. Apparently some, cant seem to grasp the difference, which is why i reiterated that very point in my post which you quoted. Please refer to it, the answer is obvious.

1 person likes this.
  5. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

It's your inability to believe that any other side has a legitimate argument that leaves you seemingly close-minded to other possibilities. Like I mentioned earlier, the question is vague, so people can interpret it differently. If one reads it as, Lin has essentially NOT had a good game BEFORE game 5, then the answer is false, since he definitely had a good game 1 and arguably a good game 3. If the question meant something else (as "offensive spark" and "great job" are super subjective terms), then one might respond differently.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nah dude, i'm Hakeem Status, you must be Tracy Mcgrady status with all that jealousy in your heart

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Hard to answer the question. He's definetely had some moments. Jeremy Lin giveth and Jeremy Lin taketh is my evaluation of his playoff game

8. xm2x

xm2x Member

expect better from a moderator, boy was i wrong :eek:

9. jason330i

jason330i Member

Haha. Too many LOFs happy after game 5. Must create thread to make them look stupid.

10. naesoon

naesoon Member

If Clutch gets annoyed of Lin fans, then this thread he created isn't exactly fixing the problem.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with Lin fans who constantly defend him is that they try to excuse any criticism of Lin by comparing to another player or finding the silver lining.

What they don't realize is that we criticize everyone. And people get pissed off in sports when a player disappoints. That's just how it goes.

Everyone knows Harden is playing terrible. So when people rip on Lin they are just expressing their frustrations. But what happens is all the LOF's are so sensitive to that stuff they just explode.

And then if anyone says anything else about Lin - all of a sudden it feels like a pile on. I think anyone who accuses Clutch of being biased is probably very biased themselves. The dude is pretty fair in his criticism and analysis of every player. I see him praise Lin's good points and his bad ones. Clutch is just trying to get closer to what the reality is, he doesn't have any stake in any player. His stake is in being a Rockets fan. I think that's a fair number of us in fact.

The thing is Lin really makes some horrible decisions out there. And the thing is that his role as being a spark plug off the bench has been underwhelming outside of the last game. Even game one, he scored decently, but he wasn't a "spark". I think people need to realizee what a spark is, it's someone who creates some havoc and literally sparks the whole team to play better.

THat's lin's job. It's not anyone elses job to come off the bench and shift the offense - he comes off the bench so he can be Linsanity. I mean, that's a gift from McHale. That's what everyone wants from Lin. So when he fails at that he will be criticized. And when he fails at that and does a bone headed turnover in the waning seconds of a game, he will be bashed. That's the way it is.

But Clutch asking a fair question here, and I am shocked people think Lin has been that spark plug. I haven't seen it. He's scored here and there, but really yesterday was the day he was a game changer and when he went into the game he just DESTROYED the Blazers on both ends of the court and SPARKED the team to a 17 point lead.

I think people should first read what Clutch is writing carefully without reading into it. If you think he's biased/unfair, I would say you are living in some sort of Linsane reality.

12. Pueblo

Pueblo Member

I voted true But Tinman's responses are just LOL.

13. damnbiochem

damnbiochem Member

too early to say either way? Its not too late to redeem everything and its not too late to keep messing things up.

14. rev1274

rev1274 Member

Lol.

Your theory doesn't make sense at all.

Daniels has better numbers than Beverly, therfore Daniels should be starting?

Ichiro Suzuki is avg a .357 BA. All-Star right?

The thing is, give Lin 100 shots and give Harden 100 shots, Lin will have a better number than Harden.

15. 9495

9495 Member

Best first post I have ever seen.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Lin played fine in Game 1. In fact, the Rockets might've won that one had they not kept forcefeeding Harden in OT and had let Lin have a few more shots.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Strange thread....

Feels like it might be a ploy by clutch to just round up the LOFs and give them the boot.

18. rev1274

rev1274 Member

Clutch clearly stated that Lin costed them the game in game 4 on twitter, where regardless Harden's D and his O was invisible.

9/21 28 points. 4 Reb 6 Ass. 5 TO.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Its really not.

You just answered it. "He definitely had some moments" (in this case games 1,3) = he did better than "not a great job of sparking the offense" in those moments (in this case games 1,3).

Thus if Lin had games where he better that "not great job" prior to game 5 the answer to the question is obviously false.

The question isn't, has Lin been having a great series overall up to game 5. The question is, in any game, prior to game 5 has he ever done a great job sparking the offense.

20. conquistador#11

Ok that response by G-LE can't be real. I bet he has never left the state of Texas. =)