1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beasely vs Mayo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by anelka3913, Mar 19, 2010.

1. anelka3913

anelka3913 Member

Should the Heat have picked OJ Mayo over Michael Beasley?
    i dont watch alot of Heat basketball, but it seems to me that the beasley wade combo has not panned out, i can imagine Mayo-Wade combo would become the most explosive back court combo.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here is the thing: I expected Mayo to take a bigger step this season than he has. I'm beginning to think he's just going to be a slightly better version of Rudy Gay, but as a SG. I question whether he's the type of guy you can center an offense around.

I'll ask anyone here who watches the Grizzlies on a regular basis: Do you think Mayo has the alpha dog, bring-it-every-game, take-no-prisoners approach to basketball? Seems like when I watch the Grizzlies, he disappears a lot. When the going gets tough, does Mayo take it upon himself to make something good happen? Do the other players look to him for leadership at all?

Beasley was probably the better pick for the Heat because they didn't need another SG with Wade on the team. They need all the size they can get. Of course, Beasley is a Froot Loop and you don't know if he's gonna flame out. Mayo seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Which is funny because coming up out of high school the media made him out to be some type of headcase or troublemaker. Seeing him in College and the NBA he seems completely opposite of how he was viewed coming out of high school.

As far as this thread is concerned. I think they made the right pick because both Mayo and Wade are Shooting Guards. Neither one are pure point guards. I guess if they drafted Mayo it could have worked but it made more sense to draft Beasley.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Both are SGs... :confused:

5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Probably. Hindsight is always 20/20. Don't you think the Pistons are still kicking themselves on taking Darko Milicic over Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony?

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Seems in recent years bigs drafted early dont really do anything much. And all the early drafted guards make the bigger impact by far? Beasely coulda been drafted over Derrick Rose. Bulls made the right choice there. Think if ROSE was on the Heat :eek:

Then there's Thabeet over Tyreke Evans and Steph Curry. Oden over Durant. Bogut & Marvin Williams over Chris Paul. Big over small doesnt apply much these days.

There's another one. Dwyane Wade in the same draft

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

how can you play Mayo and wade together .... both of them play at the 2 .. I don't get your point.

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Uh, no.

Mike Beasley's 6'10''. and plays both forward positions. O.J. Mayo's 6'4'', and is considered a true SG.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Sorry, I meant Wade-Mayo.. as in why on earth would Miami draft another SG.

10. cardinalwildcat

Mayo supposedly got a 29 on the ACT, so he's actually pretty smart.

I agree w/most everyone...Mayo is a SG though he did say that he could play PG if needed (Griz have Conley). Wade is a SG. Beasley plays SF/PF, so probably better fit. What the Heat need is a legit PG and someone to replace O'Neal.

11. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Is he really 6'10"? He looks shorter to me...

12. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Yeah, he's listed at 6'10'', 230 pounds.

If you ever get a chance, watch the movie "Gunnin' for That #1 Spot." It highlights the top 8 or so players in the nation in 2007, including Beasley, Tyreke Evans (who's a junior in the film), Kyle Singler, Brandon Jennings (also a jr. at the time), Kevin Love, and a couple others.

Beasley's the most arrogant, loud-mouthed player on the court. The film profiles each of the players in their hometown, and it has entertaining footage from the All-American Game in NYC, in which the players were mic'd up. He yaps at his teammates, and struts around the court like he runs the place. But, he shows up in the game, and absolutely embarrasses some of his fellow AAs.

Sorry for the rant, but the film, and Beasley's massive ego, just crossed my mind. It's available to watch on Hulu.

Here's the link for any interested. I highly recommend it.

Gunnin' For That #1 Spot

1 person likes this.
  13. itony

itony Member

i like to pay attention to him whenever he plays us because I liked him in college but from the tiny amounts i see from him there are many times when he is extremely passive either because they don't run alot of plays for him or he just doesn't demand the ball. He just stays in the corner or the top and shoots the three.

I actually think he's a decent defender and has a fierce competitive heart when he gets in to it. He might actually fit well next to dwade who handles the ball 24/7 and he can play off of him and possibly defend the pg?

14. Lovemachine2000

Beasley measured about 6'7" pre-draft, pretty undersized for a 4. And Mayo-Wade back court won't work unless the Heat adopts the Golden State system.

15. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

If you remember, Mayo started out scoring in buckets and then Iavaroni was fired. Hollins is trying to rebuild Mike Conley thus Mayo has had minimal chance to run the point. This year seems to be stalled because Hollins is trying to make Mayo into some Battierish glue guy and Mayo is going along with the program because we are winning (he had 40 point game during our 1-8 start) and because he is trying to transition to PG due to his size. He has almost zero plays run for him and is rarely given a chance to create with the ball or run pick and roll with our bigs.

The Mayo to PG thing is a hot topic among Grizz fans. I see him in the mold of Chauncey Billups. He is not your ideal PG and the coach does not really know how to use him effectively. Situation should come to a head as he gets closer to 2nd contract time.

16. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Michael Beasley's game reminds me of Antawn Jamison. (the problem is that he has Gilbert Arenas' head) i would love to see Michael Beasley alongside a dominant low post scorer.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It should come to a head this summer. Mayo has had two full seasons in the NBA and the Grizzlies should make a decision on which way to go. Molding Mayo into a Battier-like player seems incredibly dumb to me. IMO, if it helps Mayo's development, the Grizz should pull the plug on Conley the early part of next season (at the latest).

18. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

mayo and wade. whoa.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That sounds about right to me. There's absolutely no way in hell Beasley is legitimately 6'10". If you doubt this, all you need to do is a watch a Heat game and pay attention the next time Beasley stands next to somebody 6'9" or higher. Of course, actually noticing Beasley out there on the court can be quite the challenge sometimes. Make sure you have TIVO.

#19 baller4life315, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  20. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

His wingspan is over 7' and his height in shoes, which should be his listed height, is 6'8.25". So he has plenty size for a 3/4, that's not the reason he sucks.