1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BDL] Dwyer's take on PGs ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by echu888, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Danbury

Danbury Member

Why are people ranking Brandon Jennings above Brooks? That guy is wildly inconsistent and a score first PG just like Aaron. I would take Brooks over him everytime. Also not better than Brooks,

Baron Davis
    Mike Conley
    Jason Kidd
    Mo Williams
    Devin Harris
    Calderon
    Lou Williams
    Andre Miller

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lowry has a completely different role than Brooks.

Oh, never mind....

DD

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You're right. That's why I see AB out at some point this season. It'll be sad but his value is what is needed to get a major trade done.

Lou can fill up the stat sheet. He's a much better passer and defender. Injuries were the big concern for him last season.

4. sammy

Bc he is a better overall PG than AB and is super young. Did you watch him in the playoffs? His FG % was abysmal at points in the season though..

5. WNBA

WNBA Member

AB's shooting first mentality got it done in his 2nd year when AB had the only chance to start with Yao.

A PG's shooting >> defense + assist turnover ratio.

6. DaDakota

He might be, same with Lowry (if they get his permission)....it will all depend upon whether someone is available and which PG they want in trade, if one at all.

I don't think they keep them both more than a year though, I would suspect that they trade one of them rather than paying more than $6 million for a backup....

Watch what happens to the minutes this year, if one of them starts to significantly get their minutes cut, I would expect that to be a decent indicator of whom they are looking to move.

Just a guess though.

DD

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And there you have it.

The MIP (MIP! Dana Barros! Darrell Armstrong!) future alpha dog is considered by neutral observers to be around average (which is what his PER indicates as well).

8. choujie

choujie Member

Whether Lou Williams, Jose Calderon, and Mo Williams are better than AB is certainly debatable. I'm not saying they are clearly better than AB.

My point is it's very possible to be a better player on a worse team. Team success shouldn't really be weight that much in terms of evaluating players.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Being such an ardent AB fan, I am disappointed in your lack of knowledge of his actual performance or maybe it is simply denial? Statistically, AB has gotten worse at passing each year. Here is the evidence:

07-08 - 87 assists and 44 TO for ATR of 1.97
    08-09 - 238 assists and 125 TO for ATR of 1.904
    09-10 - 434 assists and 232 TO for ATR of 1.87

Statistically, AB becomes worse as he tries to pass more and even more so during double teams as you can see from last season where he was in complete control of the offense. Where is this magical improvement that you speak of? :confused:

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What's funny is that Derek Fisher has the lowest PER out of all point guards and has the most rings to show for it. Having a great passing point guard is over rated. What you need is a player that can share the ball and make teams pay for double teaming your best players. Brooks is all we need at the PG spot. This is why I'm not a big proponent for going after Paul.

Lets look at the starting PG's that have won championships in the last 20+ years.

Fisher
    Rondo
    Parker
    Billups
    Avery Johnson/Kerr
    Harper
    Smith
    Jason Williams/Payton
    Zeke
    Magic
    Dennis Johnson

Only Zeke and Magic were dominate players and Magic was one of the best players of all time. Zeke was more of a scorer than a passer although he was pretty good at both.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

True. It tells the fact-based portion of the story. Feel free the fill in the rest however your imagination sees fit.

12. sammy

When's the last time a team won a ring with a PG that has a shoot first mentality?

I want Yao, Scola, and Martin taking shots. These are our efficient starters.

13. choujie

choujie Member

They have completely skill sets too. So I don't even want to compare rebounds, defense etc.

That's why I just compare "running the team" part, the most important quality for a PG. Lowry's Assists ratio is much higher, TO ratio is much lower.

14. DaDakota

LOL - I said he got better once he had Budinger and Martin in the lineup.

Last year, he was not tasked with assisting as much as he was tasked with SCORING the ball because he had inefficient players like Shane, Trevor and Chuck Hayes starting with him.

Please tell me you understand the difference I am describing?

The Rockets are starting AB because they believe he is the best option, I agree with them.

DD

15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't try to make anything personal. If no one agrees with you, you make it personal. Plain it simple. Secondly, if I was trying to take cheap shots at you, I would be like the others and make personal attacks which I don't. As much as I don't agree on how you handle things, I try to respect you and not be a-hole like others have been to you on this forum. I have Jesus... ;)

Although I have never met you in person, it doesn't mean people don't start to get to know how people are. You my friend, are a very easy person to read. Sigmund is all i know haha I kid.

Either way, it is what it is. I'm not gonna keep fighting or keep going back with you. I'll be in Austin next month. Let's get a beer... or two... ;)

16. DaDakota

How many rings does Tony Parker have again?

DD

17. WNBA

WNBA Member

ATR and defense should never be mentioned in the evaluation of PGs.

18. DaDakota

Sounds great, though for me, wine !

;)

DD

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Tony Parker!!!

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Lowry's turnover rate is actually worse (i.e. higher). In all those rankings I posted, 1st is the "best". Lowry is more of a penetrator/distributor, while Brooks is more of a spot up shooter. Hence, Lowry gets a higher assist rate and higher turnover rate. More of Brooks' made field goals are assisted.