1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BDL] Dwyer's take on PGs ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by echu888, Aug 17, 2010.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Ahahaha

2. dingus

dingus Member

How dare you lump Dwyer in with Solomon. That is disgraceful. KD watches more basketball than just about any other person in the media and doesn't get half the credit he deserves. We can't really knock his rankings til we see the complete list but I'd care to wager he is spot on with assessment. I think his argument is misguided, my disenchantment with Brooks resides in his defense, late game dedcision making, and ability to create with the pass, none of which KD touched on. I have to agree with the previous post here that Sessions is ranked way too high, based on one year where he had free reign over a Milwaukee offense in complete disarray. And even that year was marred with horrible inconsistency. The one player I fear will come on this list is a joke... Jason Kidd. I would say seven or eight of the PGs already named trump Kidd. Put him where Conley is and then I might grit my teeth and accept it. Lets fill out the remaining 20...

1. Paul
    2. D. Williams
    3. Nash
    4. Rondo
    5. Rose
    6. Curry or Ellis
    7. Westbrook
    8. Billups
    9. Andre Miller
    10. Jameer Nelson
    11. Collison
    12. John Wall
    13. Tyreke Evans
    14. Tony Parker
    15. Baron Davis
    16. Mo Williams
    17. Kidd
    18. Brandon Jennings
    19. Devin Harris

I would say you could make an argument for Brooks over 4 or 5 of these guys. Also obviously these are not ranked in correct order, just off the top of my head

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its different when you play in Adelman's offense. Everyone is responsible for creating shots. Bibby only averaged about 5 assist a game when he was on the Kings. Webber was actually their assist leader.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

20 seems steep but not unreasonable, top 15 sounds right to me. People overvalue the little guy to much, his size and defense will make him a liability unless he becomes the shooter Steve Nash become or the finisher Tony Parker evolved to and that just to offset those prior stated liabilities.

5. liljojo

liljojo Member

...Stopped reading when I read John Wall. Can't we at least wait until he checks into an NBA game before putting him in the top 15...

6. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Uhh ... Kelly IS a member of this very board ... :) ... and he's no Solomon ... You don't get to write for Sports Illustrated without some serious talent and competence. Actually, I'm sorta proud he's a member here.

1 person likes this.
  7. choujie

choujie Member

That is just an excuse. Lowry would averaged 7 assists given the same minutes under the same system. Terry Porter averaged close to 10 assits per game under Adelman with Drexter taking a lot ball handling responsibility.

We all know passing is not the strength of AB. He is average starting PG, around 15 is about right at this moment.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this is just a plain insult to Kelly and all the hard work he does, YOU may not agree with his opinions here but the guy puts in far more work and research than every other basketball writer out there and it shows.

Clearly his work and opinion mean more than the others (including myself) on this board otherwise a internationally known company like Yahoo would not have hired him to be one of the lead basketball content writers on their site.

The guy watches every single or almost every single game during the season (not just the rockets) and knows how good the other teams players are instead of just having a myopic view of just 1-2 teams. During the season he writes, even if its a small paragraph, about every game the night before with something that is different from the AP recap. What other writer out in the media does that?

To say that his opinion is the same as solomon's (and YES that is what you are implying here but saying that they both get paid to write - dont even try to spin it with your winking smiley saying it was a joke) is terrible

Thats like me saying I know just as much about the video game industry as you because I played Mario when I was a kid when clearly that isnt the case when you have the years of experience of working in the industry and I just play the games.

Kelly does his homework and then some and is passionate about basketball, more passionate than everyone here I would say

Solomon just wants hits so he just throws anything stupid thing out there and hopes it sticks

And of course you'll retort back to me saying i am a "suck up" etc fine whatever works for you, but Kelly puts in a lot of dedication to his work and even if you dont agree with it that, his work should be respected for that reason alone.

3 people like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A - fricken - men.

100% spot on, look at Bibby's numbers in Sacremento for comparison to Brook's role on this team.

It is staggering how people completely miss this point, consistently.

Also, Brooks assists etc went up when CBud or Martin were put in the lineup over Trevor or Shane....I guess having guys to pass to that can finish at a decent rate helps the ole assist numbers too.

But overall, in Adelman's offense, he is not going to have tons of assists, the assists will be spread out over the entire team.

DD

10. echu888

echu888 Member

here's the next 10 ...

20-11

20. Calderon
    19. Mo Williams
    18. Lou Williams
    17. Balls to the Wall
    16. Collison
    15. Jennings
    14. Andre Miller
    13. Steph Curry
    12. Kidd
    11. Jameer Nelson

11. choujie

choujie Member

Bibby wasn't getting high assists either after he no longer plays for Adelman.

At the same time, look at Bibby's TOs compare to ABs. The ast/to ratio of AB is really one of the worst among NBA pgs. That's a better indication of how good a passer he is than just look at the assist number alone.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I just don't know.

When your putting guys on losing Eastern conference teams over a guy who was the first option on a decimated winning team in the western conference, something doesn't add up.

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Brooks behind Calderon, Lou Williams, and Mo? Wut.

Actually, who is Lou Williams?

14. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Post of the offseason!!!!

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let's break it down.....

What? He puts in more work than any other writer out there?

And they call me Mr. Hyperbole.

Oh, please, there are tons of intelligent basketball fans all over the world who know as much or more than he does, but choose other professions.

I am happy for Kelly and his career, he seems to be doing well, but that doesn't mean he is always right, and his job is the same as all other writers, to drive "CLICKS" to his website, to make them money, otherwise, they would replace him stat.

You are making massive assumptions, it could be that interns or others watch all those games and give Yahoo recaps that he edits.

Or, he watches them all, I don't know, and not sure how you do either.

You just have a burr in your saddle big fella for me, any chance you get to argue, you jump.....nay LEAP at it, and take the furthest position away you can....

The Solomon point was an extreme one to show people that just because you are a writer doesn't mean you know the subject material all that well.

We are not talking about anyone that PLAYED in the NBA, we are talking about observers, who are writing about what they observe.

A more apt comparison would be you saying you knew more than someone who writes about Games for a games mag....and man, would I be on your side there....lol

Oh good lord, does he reply to your emails so you somehow feel connected to a real sports writer or something?

Come on.....more passionate than everyone here.......that is a big statement that is just flat out fluffy.

Ranking artilces are meant to drive hits, it is a personal preference, nothing more......

Dude, you do suck up...probably because you go back and forth with him in email or on twitter, in the modern world, so you feel you have to get his back.

That is silly, it is their job to interact with folks, it helps draw clicks or hits to their site.

Wake up and smell the coffee YoYo.

Ah, and another DDingleberry comes in to toss in a quick frag grenade...maybe you guys can rep each other back and forth....lol.

Let's hear from the rest of the DDinglberry brigade.

DD

#35 DaDakota, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yoyo owning again

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I lost a bet to KD, he knows his stuff for sure.

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

YoYo vs. DD: TL;DR.

My opinion obviously differs from KD here. I would have trouble placing Brooks in the top 10, but he's definitely better than several of the guys he put in 11-20.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Some statistical rankings, amongst PGs who played at least 40 games last year and at least 20 minutes per game:

http://www.hoopdata.com/advancedstats.aspx?team=%&type=pm&posi=PG&yr=2010&gp=40&mins=20

MPG: Brooks (8th), Lowry (33rd)
    USG: Brooks (7th), Lowry (30th)
    TS%: Brooks (17th), Lowry (22nd)
    %Ast: Brooks (30th), Lowry (23rd)
    AR: Brooks (37th), Lowry (8th)
    TOR: Brooks (18th), Lowry (27th)
    TRR: Brooks (40th), Lowry (2nd)
    EFF: Brooks (26th), Lowry (16th)
    WS: Brooks (36th), Lowry (11th)
    AWS: Brooks (25th), Lowry (23rd)
    PER: Brooks (22nd), Lowry (25th)
    APER: Brooks (21st), Lowry (16th)

Mouse over the head row in the link for explanation of each stat. EFF, WS, and AWS are per minute rankings.