1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[BDL] Dwyer's take on PGs ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by echu888, Aug 17, 2010.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

He is basing Rankings on 2010-2011. It might mean he see's AB role reducing with Yao and a full season of KM? Or maybe Calderon doing more, since Bosh is no longer here.

Brooks is not better than Calderon on passing and court vision. Even though AB is a the better scorer (less efficient, IMHO) , Calderon can knock down the open jumper (so its not like Calderon can't shoot the ball)

Calderon also had a bad year last year. I am amazed that some folks think Calderon is really that bad.

Previous years he was averaging 12 pts 48%FG 9 assists 1.8 TO and 40% from 3's

vs

AB
    19 pts 43%FG 5 assists 2.8 TO and 40% from 3's

If anything Calderon was a much more efficient on scoring shooting a higher FT% and FG%. It took AB 16 FGA to score 19pts, it took Calderon 8.5 FGA to score 10-12 pts. AB needed another 8 FGA attempts to score 7-9 more pts.

Calderon is not that bad, he had a bad year last year, but from 2007-2009 he was a walking double-double PG, low TO, efficient scoring. His biggest knock is his defense but its either on par with AB or slightly better because Calderon is at least a bigger player.

Remember this is his thoughts going into 2010-2011 season, so its quite possible Calderon may have a better year.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

People here overrate Kelly Dwyer because he posts here. He is as incompetent as the 90% of national sports writers that are also hacks.

3. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I hate the fact i can't edit my damn posts, so i can fix all my freaking iphone typed messages..

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I disagree... since his opinion is 90% of the time my opinion.. that makes him better than those other writers in my opinion.

6. VBG

VBG Member

There's no way BRooks is gonna be as inefficient as he was this year. Calderon is worse defensively than Brooks. The only thing Calderon has is court vision. He's more likely to be injured and inefficient though.

Also, look at Tony Parker and Jameer Nelson. They have similar skillsets to Aaron Brooks and both are 10+ positions higher.

7. NBA_Elite

NBA_Elite Member

Let's look at his ranking:
    1 Chris Paul

2 Deron Williams

3 Rajon Rondo

4 Steve Nash

5 Derrick Rose

6 Chauncey Billups

7 Russell Westbrook

8 Devin Harris

9 Tony Parker

10 Baron Davis

11 Jameer Nelson

12 Jason Kidd

13 Stephen Currey

14 Andre Miller

15 Brandon Jennings

16 Darren Collison

17 John Wall

18 Lou Williams

19 Mo Williams

20 Jose Calderon

21 Aaron Brooks

22 Ramon Sessions

23 Raymond Felton

24 Jarrett Jack

25 Ty Lawson

26 George Hill

27 Mike Conley

28 Jrue Holiday

29 Rodney Stuckey

30 Kyle Lowry

Even Lou williams and Jose Calderon ranked higher than AB. This is just ridiculous.

8. worzel gummidge

Calderon's FG is nearly at 50%.

Having similiar skillesets doesn't mean much. John Lucas III has similiar skillsets to Brooks.

9. bbjai

bbjai Member

I would put George Hill higher and put in Evans as well. And as bad as he was playing last season I will put Arenas in there too.

Replace those two with Lou Williams, Mo Williams and Jose Calderon and you got a list better then AB.

Keep in mind that you guys are voting like your voting like the all star game. J Kidd is miles better then AB. His pick and roll defence is on another planet compared to AB. Collison has shown consistently better mid range and driving game then AB as well as a passing game. Evans is a beast and is rookie of the year. If your talking straight out shooting Steph Curry is way better then AB and this year his set to explode with more touches of the ball and a pick and roll partner like Lee.

The only one that is debatable is Jennings, but the question you have to ask yourself here is, if we put Brooks in for Jennings would the Bucks have played so well. My answer is no. Brooks is can't pass that well to be honest, Jennings can.

At the end of the day Brooks is good, but his not in the top 20. The Rockets are VERY good for him in that we hide alot of his deficiences and we have a dude like Kyle Lowry to come in take guards that he can't.

And I think you guys are CRAZY if you think Parker and Nelson are worse then Brooks. These two guys are PROVEN players for running a pick and roll. I don't doubt for a minute that Brooks cannot run the pick and roll like Nelson can with Dwight. Parker finishes in the paint at some insane rate. Brooks has to improve areas in his game to be top 20 I reckon. He could swap out the last 5, debatable but if i had to pick the last 5 I would pick them over Brooks at this point in time.

10. cuddie

cuddie Member

I don't think Brooks should be that low on the list, but at the same time I feel as if many members overrate him. He's one of my favorite players, most assuredly, but there are many PGs I would take over him. Brooks is a scorer, and while this may be up for debate, I think that a PG's primary role should be to facilitate for others. We've seen players from all positions and even offensive systems take over the playmaking duty of a traditional PG, so the situational effectiveness of different PGs will vary. However, when making a comprehensive list of the best PGs in the league, playmaking has to be a large factor and that isn't something Brooks excels in.

As for DD:

In chronological order, from the thread's inception to the above quote:

2 people like this.
  11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

This could have been a real good thread with a much better exchange of different viewpoints and ideas, but DaDakota ruined it.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not the biggest Brooks fan, but I think 21 is a bit low. Most egregiously, I can't think of a reason Lou Williams should be ranked ahead of him.

This probably would be better done using some sort of tiers, anyhow. I would personally put Brooks ahead of Calderon, Lou Williams, Mo Williams, and Collison. If we're just talking next year, I might bump him ahead of Wall and possibly Jennings too. I also would have a bit of a toss up with a declining Andre Miller, and maybe even Jason Kidd at this point. All told, I'd have him anywhere from 14-17.

I also think Devin Harris (NJ didn't have that much talent, but a team with a legit post man like Brook Lopez should have more than 12 wins), and especially Jameer Nelson are highly overrated. Bunch them in with the rest of the group from 12-21, who I think are fairly interchangeable.

For all of Brooks' flaws, he's a legitimate matchup problem, and has led his team to victory in the playoffs. Will be interesting to see how he (and Lowry) adjust to having the big fella back, and having a full season with Martin as opposed to Ariza carrying the scoring load on the perimeter.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Shane Battier says hello.

Of course you never posted what I was replying to, usually I make a baskeball comment and someone comes in and makes a personal comment....and away we go.....

Oh well, it happens

Yeah, it is all my fault....clearly !

;)

DD

#233 DaDakota, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is this thing called the high road.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I tried that for a long time, it no longer works....usually people get tired of it, and just leave the board, I chose to stay and fight.

Glad to see you posting in the GARM, we miss your knowledge, especially on the cap etc....

DD

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You get edit privileges as a contributing member.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's another thing called "not repeating the same banality 44 times a day in every single thread" - maybe you can try that tactic.