1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BCS: Ohio State - Michigan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 4chuckie, Nov 17, 2003.

1. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

As an Ohio State fan I am thrilled that OSU has moved up to #2 overall. I still have no idea how since we were down almost 1.5 points and did not move up in either coaches/media poll.

Hopefully all this talk does not distract the Bucks as they prepare for The Game. Michigan is loaded on offensive but vulnerable on D. Exactly the opposite of OSU where our D is dominant and O is very questionable. I have no doubt OSU can stop Michigan's running game but they have so many talented WRs I know our D-line has to get in Navarre's face. But Michigan has a great O-line. Time for the D-line (Will Smith, D. Scott, Anderson and Frasier) to step up big time!

It is Monday morning and i am already pumped for Saturday!

Beat michigan!

2. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Ohio State versus Michigan

The best rivalarly in college football imo. Nothing else can even compare, And with so much on the line for both teams this is going to be a heck of a game. I can't wait. I'm going to tape the game and pray that I can avoid hearing the score b/c I'll be at the Tech/OU game.

3. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

The offense looked like crap vs. Purdue, but the D saved us again. I think the OSU secondary needs to play slightly better as they will be the key vs UM since I dont think they will be able to run on us either. As long as we keep playing solid defense, I think we have a very good chance vs. Michigan. Should be a great game.

Go Bucks!

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Go Bucks. Make sure the Horns get that Fiesta bid!

5. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

The Bucks have a pretty good shot at moving up to #2 in this week's BCS, due to a win over a quality Purdue team couple with USC's win over hapless Arizona. ESPN Article

A win over Michigan gives them a pretty solid case for defending their national championship. The one thing that could help (other than beating that school up north, of course) would be a Washington State loss.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Thank stupid NYT computer ranking for your #2 spot. Enjoy the next 5 days while you can, my buckeye-d freind, cause it will all end coming Saturday. The luck, the defensive fable.

Go blue.

7. tozai

tozai Member

As much as I hate OSU, I hope they win because:
    1. It helps UT
    2. I'd like to see them get their ass kicked by OU

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Thank God that I am not a USC fan or I would be pissed right now!

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It is a good rivalry, maybe even the best between Northern colleges, but it ain't Alabama-Auburn, UT-A&M, etc.

Michigan better take out OSU because it would be a shame, or sham, however you want to look at it, if USC wins out and OSU says in front of them.

Blame the rule for not counting point differential, therefore OSU's very un-impressive (mostly home field) wins against teams like Purdue, NCState, San Diego State, Penn State, Iowa, Bowling Green, & Michigan State, end up not biting them.

Think about this: USC would be virtually universally higher by all voting coaches and media, they will have beaten the higher ranked opponent between the two (assuming WSU wins out because Michigan will be behind them), and OSU's best opponent (Michigan) will only be 9-3 & lost to the 4th team in USC's conference (Oregon).

CONFERENCE BREAKDOWS:

Clearly the Big 12 is the best. 37-12 nonconference record and 5 teams in the top 25 (1,7,18,23,24)

SEC is clear #2, and is the most top heavy, with a 30-14 non conference record and 5 teams in the top 15 (3,6,11,12,15).

Big 10 is a clear #3 ahead for the Big East, Pac-10 & ACC as the Big 10 has a 30-14 non conference record and 5 teams in the top 25 (4,5,16,17,21).

LSU would have a gripe too if they win out. They could make a case for being dominant (far more than OSU but not to the extent of USC) and being a 1 loss team from the 2nd conference. They may be punished however by having to beat Georgia twice and losing bonus points--unless they have fixed this problem in the BCS calculation.

Just goes to show why an 8 team playoff is needed.

I WILL GIVE OSU PROPS.

They do have a great defense that can keep them in ball games against overall superior opponents. They won't deserve to be the in NC game if LSU and USC win out--but OSU does have a chance against OU if that indeed is the NC game because I don't think any team can be 1 dimensional and move the ball against them, and I don't think OU will be able to run at all on them.

10. mduke

mduke Member

Michigan wins easily....then again I also picked Purdue to beat OSU so you never know...

And I'm not sure if the Big 12 is the best this year....OU and Texas are really the only teams that are where they were preseason...

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

But they have far and away the best none conference winning record. I think b/c OU was so good it masks there were some good other teams. Tex, KSU, OSU, NU, Tech, Missou--all quality teams or better. I am curious to see if Tech or KSU can give OU a fight--I think if OU is not on their passing game and those other teams play mistake free games it could get interesting.

Personally, I think the SEC is underrated. Tied with the Big 10 with the 2nd best non conference record and 5 teams in the top 15--4 of which trully are top 15 teams. Further, when you consider Arkansas beat Texas and Alabama gave OU its toughest game--those bottom teams like Ark (#6), Auburn (#7) and Alabama (#8) stack up pretty well.

For the Big 10--they are clearly among the top 3 conference, but I think they are in 3rd place. Again, they have the same NC record as the SEC, but both lag the Big 12 substantially. The Big 10 will have 2 teams that are legit top 5 if Michigan wins, or 2 teams top 15 or so if OSU puts a 3rd loss on Michigan. Purdue, Iowa, Wisco, MSU & Minn are all decent but a big drop off from the top 2--probably top 18 to 30 range--but teams like Arkansas (#6 SEC), TTech (#6 Big 12) and Missouri (#7 Big 12) compare well with any of them IMO and none of the 2nd group after Mich and OSU can hold a candle to a Florida (#4 SEC) or Tennesse (#3 SEC) as we will probably see this bowl season.

12. mduke

mduke Member

Don't forget that OU could possibly play Missouri in the B12 championship if they beat KSU...

The Big 12 is good, don't get me wrong...but they're underachieved this year...KState was preseason top 5...They have 1 great team, 1 really good team, and a bunch of 'pretty good' teams...Oh yeah, and then we have 3 terrible teams and one pretty bad team (Baylor, ISU, TAMU, Kansas) :)

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I agree about the SEC. The reason being that it's damn hard to win on the road in that conference. Every last one of those schools (except for Vandy and Kentucky) is a die-hard football school. Hell, South Carolina used to sell out even during their 1-10 seasons. Auburn, Bama, the Swamp, LSU, and Neyland are all damn hard places to play.

14. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

The southern bias has taken over....

15. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I grew up watching the old Michigan vs OSU rivalry, so even though I go to UT and hate the Sooners more than humanly possible, I honestly believe Michigan/OSU is the greatest rivalry in college football. Even during the John Cooper era when we were almost sure to get demolished, we still held onto hope and believed that we could beat them...something a certain number of Rox "fans" on this board could learn from.

Although I think OSU should win, it's looking like a dangerous game. The lack of any sort of offense has been scary at times; in this game, it wil lbe lethal. Maurice Hall and/or Lydel Ross need to establish a running game early. That will open up the air game for OSU. All of the receivers should be targets to throw off Michigan's defense: as well as looking for Jenkins, the TEs Hartsock and Hamby need to be utilized, as well as probably a few running back swing/screen patterns.

As for the #2 battle, yes, even though I'm an OSU fan, I think USC deserves the chance to go up against Oklahoma. It just doesn't make sense, the BCS system, as to how a team such as USC can falter in the rankings for something it can't control.. Personally, though, I don't think it matters because OU has been looking so dominant that it will probably crush any opposition in the NC game. Although that's what many said about Miami last year...

Big 12, SEC, Big 10; agreed. The football hierarchy is looking stronger than ever. I just wish the Big 10 teams would stop beating each other up and making the conference champion picture look so jumbled up.

16. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Ohio State-Michigan means a lot more in Texas than UT-A&M does north of the Mason-Dixon line. Texas-OU would be a better comparison.

It's one of the best rivalries. I don't see how you can pick a "best" when you're talking about something that subjective.

17. tozai

tozai Member

I wish. The SEC and Big XII have been better. They just play themselves out of it.

18. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

This is just added motivation for UCLA. Fight On!

19. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

DS - Michigan-OSU is as big as any other rivalry. I'm sure every part of the country thinks theirs is the best but OSU-scUM is as big as them all.

Expalin to me which of these teams are pushovers "Purdue, NCState, San Diego State, Penn State, Iowa, Bowling Green, & Michigan State". Purdue, Iowa, BG and MSU are all in the top 25 (maybe MSU has dropped out). NC State was a top 10 team at teh beginning of the year with a Heisman cnadidate at QB. Granted SDSU and PSU are not strong but I will put up OSU schedule vs anyone elses. The SOS tells the record, if you don't believe that look thru the top 25.

Also the Big 10 has as many in the top 25 as the Big 12 (OSU, Michigan, Iowa, Purdue, MSU). Maybe the out of conferecne record is better but the Big 10 teams don't schedule the Kansas State 1-AA schedule either. Granted in years past the Big 12 has been dominant, but this year I'll take the Big 10 top to bottom. So I'll take my 4-5-16-17-21.

And why would it be a sham if the defending National Champions with 1 loss don't get to defend their title? Ohio State wins plain and simple. It's not pretty but it has gone 24-1 the last 2 years. I'll take it. Have USC play a tougher schedule and then they would be in control.

I don't disagree with a playoff but it won't happen. Too much money too many people are makign now.

20. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

I have been a U-M fan my whole life so this might seem biased but hear me out.

Michigan is gonna win this game.

It doesn't have anything to do with Michigan's Offense means more than OSU's Defense. It's not because Navarre/Perry are probably the most lethal O combo in college football. It's not because Clarrette is getting ready for the CFL Draft. And it's not because Krenzel can't carry OSU past Michigan's under rated Defense.

It's because whoever has the most to lose in this series has lost for as long as I can remember.

The only caviate to this rule is if one team is head and shoulders above the other. Just like last year and back in '98.