1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBS Fav Vex (NYPost) On JVG's Alston Rave

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Mar 16, 2008.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0316200...02239.htm?CMP=EMC-email_edition&DATE=03162008

VAN OFF POINT
    HEY, JEFF! ALSTON NOT AN ELITE GUARD
    SAY WHAT?!?
    Peter Vecsey says Jeff Van Gundy is way off base in his assessment that Rafer Alston is second to only Chris Paul among NBA point guards this season.

By PETER VECSEY

March 16, 2008 -- IN Jeff Van Gundy's studied opinion, Rafer Alston was identified during last Sunday's ABC telecast as being near peerless at the point this season, second only to Chris Paul.

No disrespect to my Queens homie who's enjoying his most productive and poised extensive stretch of success since being branded Skip To My Lou, but was Van Gundy serious or delirious?

In all likelihood, neither; like many in the media Van Gundy no doubt was trying to draw attention to himself by stating something demi- controversial.

Nobody honestly could believe Alston is outperforming Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups and Baron Davis and think he could maintain sufficient credibility to be re-hired as an NBA head coach.

By all means, approve of Alston's all you want for his stable (62 games, 62 starts) contribution to the conquering Rockets rousing 21-game salute (they play host to the Lakers today). Nonetheless, living off Tracy McGrady (and Yao Ming until his season-ending injury), he's averaging an unexceptional 12.7 points, 5.6 assists and 3.6 rebounds, while shooting 66 percent from the line, .404 from two-point range and 34 percent from beyond the arc.

At the same time, Nash, Williams, Billups, and Davis (Paul, too, of course) are averaging highly crafted telephone numbers across the stats sheet while innumerable thriving teammates play off their acumen and ability to magnetize the defense.

If only Van Gundy had chosen self-effacement over self-promotion. Instead of going to extremes he simply should have admitted Rick Adelman is getting far more out of Alston than he ever did during his four years coaching Houston.

2. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Crap. Another example of "out of context", or not listening.

Coach said Rafer, presently, was PLAYLING LIKE an all-star, or whatever term he used, not that he was an all-star.

He even tried to explain himself but lost out air time to his knee-jerking partner.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ironic that of all people, it's Peter Vecsey who brings this up.

Vecsey has no credibility on this board.

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

In the context of a discussion about who was the best point guard, Van Gundy answered Rafer Alston. And followed that up with "Alston is playing as well as any point guard in the league." When Mark Jackson questioned his sanity he then said "What's a point guard supposed to do? Win..." So that is why Alston is the best point guard. He later may have said Alston is the second best point guard behind Paul but I never heard that.

I love the way Alston has played most of the streak and I, an anti-Alston critic before, Have acknowledge he is playing so much better than last year, the best of his career. But Alston came from almost the worst starting point in the league IMO to where he is now which better than average. There was a lot of room for improvement. But to think he is now the best or even the second best point is stupidity or maybe there is some truth to what Vecsey is saying.

Personally I think there is some truth to Vecsey's words. Look at other things Van GUndy has said. Luis Scola is clearly his rookie of the year... Carl Landry may eventually be better than Scola.

He has said Morey should be executive of the year.

He did give a backhanded compliment in yesterdays interview by saying he doesn't deserve any credit for this team said the credit should go to the group of guys the work harder than any other team and they have the best chemistry. He also said credit should goto Morey and lastly he said the coaches. He also they got better after the tradeline because they now don't have any knuckleheads on the team, which was obviously the a dig at Bonzi.

All of these things make it sound a little like he is trying to say hey yeah the Rockets are playing better but if I would have had a better GM and got players like Scola and Landry and got the opportunity to allow Alston to grow even more I would be doing the same thing. I don't know if he is consciously doing what Vecsey suggest but it's just human nature to want to sing your praises and justify why you would have been just as successful if the wouldn't have fired you.

That being said I like Van Gundy as an announcer and a person now more than I ever did as a Rocket coach before.

5. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I believe an insider on this board said that JVG frequently stays in touch with Rafer and Yao the most out of any other players held over from last year. It's unfortunate Rafer couldn't play this well last season.

I think durvasa should post some relevant material/statistics comparing Rafer with some of the other elite point guards, just so we can compare where JVG is coming from. Rafer's +/- is very high, but I'm sure there's more to it.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Vecsey was just grasping for something to write about. JVG was just being a bit over the top for the sake of television. And he didn't say Rafer was the second best point in the league. He said that, at that point in time, no one other than Chris Paul was playing better.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Vercy talked about writing this piece on NBATV the other day.

He is a completely an idiot. JVG obviously used hypobole to give props to Alston. He has to argue about it like an academic ahole. Stupidty at display.

8. kwng

kwng Member

Ouch! It must very hurtful to JVG to hear him saying Adelman bring out more from Rafer than him during his 4yrs with Rafer.

9. kwng

kwng Member

must very = must be very

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

thought the exact same thing when i read that. Vecsey accuses anyone of self promotion? :rolleyes:

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What is so discouraging to an old-timer like me is that Vecsey, once upon a time, was the very best NBA writer out there. Numero uno.

Then, like too often, he grew stale and lazy. By now he thinks it's all about schtick, and not substance.

12. scottlaw

scottlaw Rookie

Well, another crow for Vecsey to swallow...Rafer just had his career game on National tv...

Is crow eating good for brain development or the other way??

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

lol this article is good timming.

14. bbjai

bbjai Member

8 3 pointers

against the supposed trigger that is in the Lakers team, Derek Fisher.

I think alot of other analyst are eating crow
    damn even people on this board should be eating crow everyday the way Rafer is playing. Heck at this rate even Clutch might be his fan

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Vex is into brain devolvement...