1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BBC] Doctor Who

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Brando2101, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

With so many avid TV and science fiction fans, I would imagine there are a good number of Doctor Who fans. It has really exploded in the states in the last few years. I mean... Bowties are cool.

If you have never seen it, I would check out the premiere of Season 5 (The Eleventh Hour). It acts as a series premiere in a lot of ways even though it's 5 seasons into the revived series. It introduces all new characters and the backstory (kinda) of the Doctor.

All you need to know is that he is a renegade member of a race called the Time Lords who violated their laws by interfering in the lives of other cultures in other times. He can't help himself when he seems people in trouble. He is also the 11th version of the doctor. When he dies, he is still the same person (kinda) but he gains a whole new personality and look. Like if Tinman changed into bigtexxx. Ok, bad example.

Avid fans would crucify me if I said to skip the David Tennant seasons but the show looks so ****ty and the acting isn't that great. Give it a go. Would be nice to see some avid fans to begin a discussion of the 50th anniversary special. I ignored it for a really long time and then gave it a chance and it has been really great.

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

If you can bear some cheesy effects, I would definitely start at the beginning of the new series (Christopher Ecclestone).

I'm a much bigger fan of the Russell T. Davies storylines than I am of the Steven Moffat ones. I was obsessed with the show, but into the 3rd year of Moffat as the showrunner I started to get disinterested. I completely stopped watching during the second half of this past season. I'll pick it up again before the new season begins, but I think the quality of the story has fallen off.

3. Convictedstupid

Last season kind of sucked. Although I love Smith, I'm glad there will be a new Doctor.

4. Brando2101

The last 4 episodes really picked up. I think it stared with "Journey to the Center of the Tardis" The XMAS special was fairly spectacular as well.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Jenna-Louise Coleman (Clara) is friggin hot.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I loved Chris Eccleston. Anybody just starting should definitely go back to Chris Eccleston.

I'm excited by Peter Capaldi and believe he will take the show to a higher level.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am very casual Doctor Who fan so haven't really followed the storylines much. I am glad though that they are getting a new doctor who doesn't look like a kid. The Doctors seemed to be getting younger and younger with Matt Smith looking like a little kid. The stories with him were OK but it is nice to get a doctor with some gravitas.

Here is a site with the Doctors listed, not including the upcoming 12th Doctor to be played by Peter Capaldi.
    www.doctorwho.tv/50-years/doctors/

8. MykTek

MykTek Member

I totally agree...she's hot!
    Idunno about the new doctor, I think it may turn off some people because he's alittle older.

Sidenote, I'm currently watching Torchwood Miracle Day (season 04)...pretty good spinoff series.

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I completely agree with this.

It's odd that the show fell off with Moffat as the showrunner. The episodes he wrote before he took over were some of the best and he's also involved in Sherlock, which is an outstanding show. But like Brando mentioned, the last few episodes did get better.

Also, of the three modern Dr's Tennat is by far my favorite.

10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Eccleston was by far the best. Tennant overacted and I can't seem to take Smith seriously.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

After the first several episodes of the Eccleston doctor I just lost interest. Too much "Queer as Folk" in that run. Then I only saw two episodes of the next doctor who seemed dull.

I don't care for the re-imagining or the stories of the current doctor but the Smith doctor has attractive companions.

I was hoping or still hope Paul McGann would be given another go.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They haven't been able to equal (or get close to equaling) Tom Baker. Eccleston was better than Peter Davidson, but that is damning with faint praise.

[​IMG]

#12 Ottomaton, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm hoping Capaldi takes us back to Eccleston's mix of mystery and depth and away from the childish, physical, Peter Pan style of Smith more suited for children.

15. Brando2101

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

what does that have to do with anything? Are you not capable of using the search function?

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Only referring to the new gen doctors.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Agreed. But from what I hear, his sailor mouth tendencies may add a bit of adult humor to The Doctor.

19. Brando2101

[​IMG]

I don't know. I think Smith is considerably darker and more disturbed. I think he plays the part much older than the other doctors.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You're on crack. Tennant was by far and a way the best Doctor of the modern era. Eccleston was good, and Smith was garbage. I almost wish they made a spin off in an alternate universe where Tennant was still the Doctor.