1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBC Complains About Pentagon Lies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JohnnyBlaze, Mar 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Seeing that I'm in US History right now as a Junior in High School, it scares me sometimes comparing periods of time to now. For example, we just got through with WW2 and the Cold War. This sudden uprising of "If you live in America, you must support America" thinking has gotten me thinking, isn't this a sort of like what happened in Germany or Italy? Massive nationalism? If you didn't agree with your country, for example if you are a "Saddam sympathizer," the cops will be at your house in a minute to investigate if you have any links with Iraq. And like the Jews in Germany, the Muslims in America are getting discriminated. Maybe not too an EXTREME extent, but still there is discrmination goin on. For example, if I wanted to get on a plane, I would be stopped at least 3 times before entering the plane. It's not a rumor, its a fact. It's happened to me, my 68 yr old grandpa, and my 46 yr old dad. All in the past 2 years. I'm not saying, "oh, don't support America, America sucks!!" I support our troops, I have friends who are overseas. I may not agree with America's policies,but does not mean I hate this country or that I have ties with terrorist groups or Iraq. But, by the way people of muslim and arab descent are acting nowadays, scared to speak their thoughts, scared to get on planes, it scares me how paranoid we've gotten. I do not support this war, because I think it would've been easier to just put a CIA person to work for the Iraqi government and eventually have him assassinate Saddam. It's unecessary to bomb the whole damn country to get 1 person. Many of these "precision" bombs are off target and are hittin many civilians.

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Originally posted by Rockets R' Us
    Seeing that I'm in US History right now as a Junior in High School, it scares me sometimes comparing periods of time to now. For example, we just got through with WW2 and the Cold War. This sudden uprising of "If you live in America, you must support America" thinking has gotten me thinking, isn't this a sort of like what happened in Germany or Italy? Massive nationalism? If you didn't agree with your country, for example if you are a "Saddam sympathizer," the cops will be at your house in a minute to investigate if you have any links with Iraq.

You are correct. Nationalism can be a bad thing.

And like the Jews in Germany, the Muslims in America are getting discriminated. Maybe not too an EXTREME extent, but still there is discrmination goin on. For example, if I wanted to get on a plane, I would be stopped at least 3 times before entering the plane. It's not a rumor, its a fact. It's happened to me, my 68 yr old grandpa, and my 46 yr old dad. All in the past 2 years.

That means nothing. I've been stopped an searched several times also. Have you noticed how many non-Muslim/Arabs are searched?

Have you ever heard Minetta(sp?) speak on racial profiling?

I'm not saying, "oh, don't support America, America sucks!!" I support our troops, I have friends who are overseas. I may not agree with America's policies,but does not mean I hate this country or that I have ties with terrorist groups or Iraq. But, by the way people of muslim and arab descent are acting nowadays, scared to speak their thoughts, scared to get on planes, it scares me how paranoid we've gotten. I do not support this war, because I think it would've been easier to just put a CIA person to work for the Iraqi government and eventually have him assassinate Saddam. ...

Not so easy. Do some research on Saddam's ways over the last 30+ years. He has developed a very effective system to protect himself. It is unlikely that any CIA plants would have ever gotten close to him.

3. Cohen

BTW Rockets R' Us, off topic, were you the one who started the 'fire rudy' thread?

4. Cohen

There are 2 components of that 'fanatical' label. The first is the blind loyalty that you mention, the second is what one is blindly loyal to. One will certainly not always be 'correct' by exhibiting blind loyalty to the US government, but it is something entirely different to be blindly loyal to a fascist regime.

5. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Uh, if you are blindly loyal how do you distinguish?

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I meant, since treeman is American, why can't he blindly love his country and follow its leaders? I said nothing about the right or wrong of America. I was speaking of treeman's love of it.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He can do whatever he wants. But blind love can lead to ignoring the truth.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Cohen's point is valid and true - but MacBeth's is excellent :).

Cohen is right insofar as there is no immediate harm done by being blindly loyal to a government that is worth being loyal to because that government will not abuse that loyalty - however, the blind loyalty is exactly what will prevent you from noticing when the government starts abusing your loyalty.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I believe MacBeth answered that question.

10. johnheath

johnheath Member

This thread is crap.

If the BBC really complained about Pentagon lies, the we would have a BBC source. The title of this thread is a lie.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Hmmm, at first you say his loyalty and love of country make you sick, then you say he can do whatever he wants. Which is it?

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What do you mean which is it? It does make me sick, but he can still do what he wants. I dont get your point.

13. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

My goodness no. I love Rudy. It must'a been the dude who has the same screen name as me. Damn plagarists. It was prolly "Rockets-R-Us" I registered first though. Remember that.

14. treeman

treeman Member

So far, johnheath has made the only relevant post in this thread. Since it is not about me being blindly loyal to my country, something that all of you can only speculate on, BTW.

The article is BS.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Freaking mental midgets.

;)

DD

17. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

On what basis? The thread you posted? They're questioning the justification of going to war at times, as they should.

I firmly believe they would be questioning the justification of not going to war, had that been the UK position.

18. TheFreak

Mainly on the basis that they're making things up. Questioning the war is fine, for an editorial.

19. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

What did they make up?

20. TheFreak

This is all in the other thread already, but oh well.

From their news director:

"If we were simply to take the justification for the war, we would have lost half our audience," he says. "There's a strong body of opinion in Europe that the grounds for this war haven't been proven and aren't clear. Our coverage has to reflect that."

No, you're coverage should reflect WHAT'S HAPPENING, not what your audience thinks.

-------------------------------------

From their own war correspondent:

“I was gobsmacked to hear, in a set of headlines today, that the coalition was suffering ‘significant casualties’.

“This is simply NOT TRUE. Nor is it true to say — as the same intro stated — that coalition forces are fighting ‘guerrillas’.

“It may be guerrilla warfare, but they are not guerrillas.”

“Who dreamed up the line that the coalition are achieving ‘small victories at a very high price?’

“The truth is exactly the opposite.

“The gains are huge and the costs still relatively low. This is real warfare, however one-sided, and losses are to be expected.”