1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBALLBREAKDOWN: Is James Harden Breaking the NBA Rule Book?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Apr 27, 2017.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That is not very clear imo, because there's plenty of times where you can foul a person doing a layup on the gather. I guess this is like fouling the shooter on the gather? dont know if that really makes sense.

2. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

wellp, harden aint getting any free throws against the spurs

the fact is harden is teaching guys not to reach. oldest trick in the book. you can't stop someone on defense with your hands. the hand check rule rule is part of the game

#42 Brown Lost It, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    BigMaloe and Pen15clubber like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like it, you didn't reply to me this way when I literally said the same exact thing. Weak brain...

Cash Cam likes this.
  4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

could you guys imagine if Westbrook was the one who did this. They would call him creative, an offense of genius, a smart basketball player, very crafty because he draws fouls from undisciplined defenders for trying to handcheck him on the drive.

on that Isaiah Thomas video Stephen Curry does the exact same thing. he carries the ball to bait you into thinking he is gonna shoot then blows past you. the refs dont call it.

D-rock, BigMaloe and Pen15clubber like this.
  5. don grahamleone

Yup and hand checking never included touching the shooting arms. All you could do was touch the waist while the hands were up and not let them in closer to you.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No I refused to engage you seriously with your condescending posts. Let this be a life lesson, don't be a dick.

7. don grahamleone

Life lesson, don't talk out of your ass.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Almost every player in the history of the nba creates a hooking motion in their arms as they shoot...

9. don grahamleone

I will try to work on telling people that they're wrong in a nicer way. It's my commitment to you. The person that was wrong. (If you're feeling wronged, check the history... you challenged me and were wrong.)

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The thing that gets me is. . . DID YOU SEE HOW DEFENSIVE THE LEAGUE GOT WHEN HOIBERG CALLED OUT ISIAH THOMAS???
    Everyone was screaming SOUR GRAPES
    but with Harden now they are concerned and giving it a looking into

AND YEA . . . THOMAS DOES PALM THE BALL AN AWEFUL LOT!!

Rocket River

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Looks like you're still a dick, have a nice day.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

there are times when Harden will hook a defender's arm in order to create a foul, I think almost every Rockets fan would admit to that

we saw him get called for an offensive foul in game 5 while trying to do it against Roberson

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Steve Kerr sounding salty all the way back in December

14. don grahamleone

Thank you, you too! I hope you feel my arm space around you because it's a hug.

15. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

harden either catches them reaching or handchecking. Either way he will make sure when he gets the contact that he is in the shooting motion. It's the defenders fault for playing bad D.

the fact is it's really hard to guard the man. He can pull from deep, he can blow right past you with his quick first step, go roght or left, stop on a dime and pull from mid, and he can finish strong and he has elite ballhandling and passing skills. in order to stop it they have to go back and change the rules to allow handcheckingor reaching fouls

the fact is the man can play in any era. guys like curry and Durrant might be too soft while Westbrook and LeBron can't shoot so they will just give them the jumper and close out or hand check them on the drive.

it will be interesting to see what the refs do going forward

D-rock, BigMaloe and don grahamleone like this.
  16. don grahamleone

His career eFG is pretty good. Am I missing something? Would hand checking impede him from getting to the basket? I feel like hand checking never stopped the guys I grew up watching in the 80s and 90s. I could be wrong of course, but LeBron seems like he'd be able to adjust to the rules of any period. Take away the 3 point line and the dunk and he'd still play well. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just feels like he does what he has to.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden is such a genius offensively that people are now thinking about implementing some rule changes in order to slow him down

Harden is the free throw gawd, fans and the media should realize that there's no stopping him

D-rock and Brown Lost It like this.
  18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

A hooking foul in the shooting motion doesn't exist, because the shooting motion has a hook in it.

There's a difference though between gripping them and then going into the motion and one fluent motion. Those videos they showed were one fluent motion, he does on occasion do two separate motions but most of the time they're not.

19. don grahamleone

Conley just got 3 FTs for the reaching call. Looked like Harden trying to draw it. Hopefully that's a good sign for us. Those little things could be all the difference.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Both Conley and Kashi getting these calls, and no one is outraged,,,saying how it's "Crafty"