1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[bballbreakdown] Houston's Offensive System

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by laserguy183, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mashing

Mashing Member

New found appreciation for Scola. He's in the center of every damn set we run. What a hard worker.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I wish everyone here at Clutchfans would watch that video. I was wondering what kind of offense McHale has been trying to run, so that was interesting. It shows how important it is for everyone to know how to move without the ball.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

This video doesn't show it much, but McHale taught them to run the pick and roll. We used it very well against POR in the 2nd qtr.

AS a corollary, probably because we understand how to run it, we are also defending the PnR better. Our defense has picked up under McHale. Evidence is guys like KMart and CBud are trying harder on defense.

4. lean

lean Member

Awesome vid especially since I missed this game the other night. Thanks OP

5. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

pretty good game breakdown. good job buddy

6. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Didn't watch the video but he talks about how we've been running a lot of Flex, right? Because we totally have and I love it.

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

WoW good stuff. Great Post.

My observation from the clip and games: A lot of the screens, picks and curls end up with guy dribbling the ball from one side to another then passing it to an open guy for catch and shoot. Theres hardly much paint penetration from all that effort.

In our losses so far - We lose our composure and start taking stupid shots when our open shots dont fall because we dont have any other way to score. Well its time we figured out ways to that.

I hope as the season goes on we develop and learn to execute more plays which open up the inside more so guys can penetrate the paint and attack the rim a lot more rather then just taking open shots. We need more plays where those screens, picks, curls
    draw away the big guys from under the rim then get players to cut and get the ball close to the basket then finish with nasty intentions. Also we need to focus more on creating mis-matches with all that player/ball movement, this can make it easier for guys to break down opponents and get tot the rim.

Need a plan when our 3s and long 2s dont fall. Only one other way to score - try scoring from closer to the rim rather then further.