1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bballbreakdown-Houston Rockets Defense: Both Lucky AND Good

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketshopeful, Dec 12, 2014.

1. rocketshopeful

"None of this is to say the Rockets are playing bad defense. Every team in the league gives up some open threes – through Wednesday’s games, the most attentive team in the league (the San Antonio Spurs, of course) allowed 7% of opponent’s shots to be wide open threes. Houston is slightly better than average, allowing around 9.5%, when around 10% of the league’s shots overall are wide open threes. And even if opponents were shooting at an “expected” clip, Houston’s defense would still be well above average on the season, despite playing almost half their games without Defensive Player of the Year candidate Dwight Howard. But their hot start to the season is due in no small part to good fortune alongside their good play"

http://bballbreakdown.com/2014/12/12/houston-rockets-defense-lucky-good/

Rest of article at the above link with some decent content. Perhaps keeps expectations in check about the Rockets D, but still impressive given injuries. Lock if posted but didn't see this anywhere.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Coach Nick doesn't like us either. If you follow him on Twitter you'd see it.

3. rocketshopeful

Gotcha. Thought at least it was supported with some substance, though there seems to be a bit of subjectivity with defining "open" ..

4. bmd

bmd Member

Not a fan of that guy.

1 person likes this.
  5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I ended up unfollowing him... he's one of those who is quick to .gif or Vine any defensive lapse Harden has, then claim that Harden just so happens to make a mistake on defense every time he flips to our games. :-/ He got all huffy with me one night because I said I found it interesting that he always just so happens to tune in when Harden has the slightest lapse, but never when he's playing solid D. :rolleyes:

ETA: This isn't to say the video isn't a fair/accurate assessment. I didn't watch it because petty. :p

2 people like this.
  6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

The article says that Houston was lucky to keep it close in golden state despite some open threes. I must have been watching a different game because Houston was in control for most of that game until they ran out of gas in the last few minutes. That warriors team is pretty good, but fully healthy I'm sure the rockets would kill them.

7. haydenfisher342

he was a chandler parsons fan, so I had this subtle thought he liked the Rockets.

8. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

He really thinks the Bulls absolutely would have won 8 straight if Jordan wasn't gone....pfft. When he pointed at 72 and 10, I showed him videos of the Rockets spanking the Bulls; he had no response.

9. anchel

anchel Member

Also notice that same could be said about Rockets own wide open shots.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/11/28/unsustainable-starts-rockets-raptors-candidates-nba-regression/

I don't like these stats cause is not the same to concede a wide open 3 at garbage time than doint it at crunch time; ot against a bad 3 pt shooter than against a top shooter; at the 10th second of posession or at the buzzer, etc. Pressure is a factor, time of the game is a factor, shooting player is factor, type of defense, schedule........

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The fact that they force teams to work so hard wears other teams out, and is another reason for a lower 3pt percentage when open.

DD

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You people failed to notice that Coach Nick didn't even write this piece.

12. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

It does concern me that we're 7-0 in games decided by fewer than 5 points. That's usually a good indicator of luck that will not necessarily last. We need to avoid close games.

13. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I'm honestly surprised that this hasn't been said before in the narrative of Houston opponent 3pt% being the lowest in the NBA. That stat seems to be taken so negatively and taken purely as luck. But I don't see it that way.

If a team is run dogged every possession, and is forced to put in extra effort for every shot taken because of the defense's tenacity, then I think the defensive team should get some credit for creating a situation in which the offensive team shoots a lower percentage even when they're wide open, likely due to fatigue or exhaustion.

It's not entirely luck. Much of it seems to be by design.

1 person likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Don't talk about luck when we are missing our best defensive player in Dwight Howard and have zero interior shotblocking presence.

If Dwight was there, maybe our guys don't collapse as much leaving wide open threes

15. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

That's actually a strong indicator of good coaching. You shouldn't be concerned.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Coach Nick is a piece of trash who got fired from his high school coaching gig for alleged racism and bullying of players.

Google it.

Edit just saw the article wasn't by Coach Nick but I don't care. Bballbreakdown sucks.

1 person likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Exactly what I was about to say.

...as for the article - it seems to pass the eye test for me. I definitely can remember quite a few "oh crap, this guy is going to hit that 3" shots that didn't fall for our opponents. We have also been lucky in close games. While part of that is having one the best closers in the game, every shot in the final few minutes of a tight game is crucial and Houston has more often than not ended up on the winning side of the makes/misses curve.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I got in a huge YouTube fight with a couple GSW fans on his last video. I say it's basically disrespectful that some think that Klay Thompson and Jimmy Butler are considered better than him and a travesty Harden hasn't gotten more MVP buzz. Coach Nick chimes in and says that Butler is having an overall better season and him and Klay are having more efficient seasons and are better defensively.

When Kobe was shooting a million shots to get 25 points no one cared how efficient he was. The disrespect, man. wow.

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Hey. I'd rather be lucky AND good than simply being good. We'll ride our good fortune all the way to the playoffs.

What kind of garbage analysis is that? The Rockets were lucky that's why their defense is holding up. One quarter into the season, playing a variety of opponents, and consistently holding their FG below the league average, that's more than luck.

That writer has to be ashamed of himself.

20. kemah

kemah Member

lol

This is strong part if it but may I add that when a team is being defensed well that the defenders then control the game and can make the other team into playing a game they are ill suited too. Because of this the scoring becomes less efficient and that means that the defenders have more chances at scoring themselves and thus provides more opportunities for possibly 'getting lucky'.

To make it simple we are creating our own luck.