1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Bears Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brandyon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I honestly think it's time. The university (IMO) did what they needed to do and now everyone can look forward to what changes need to be made in the title 9 office and athletic department.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'd be very surprised if they hire anyone from the Briles tree.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't believe it at all. 2 months on the job, a BU football player gets convicted for sexual assault of 3 students (prosecutor said it could have been as many as 5) and Starr never once asked for an update on the students or how it was or being handled? If he didn't, then it's on him just as much IMO.

As far as asking to release the entire report, I believe Starr knew it would eventually get out one way or the other. Might as well be the one to ask for it.

4. duwende

duwende Member

It'll be interesting to watch their away games, and see if the crowd starts chanting "no means no"

5. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I hope not. Rape taunts don't seem like a good idea even in this situation.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...wn-mike-singletary-fedora-dykes-morris-052716

7. gucci888

At this point, I think BU's best shot is one of the caretakers. Both are available now and don't have to deal with buyouts. As far as the other guys, hard to see any HC leaving for the same at BU, not without knowing the extent of the sanctions to come.

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I think college football fans are the most disgraceful of any American sport. This will probably be the tamest of the taunts.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Art Briles daughter, Staley Lebby, posts her thoughts on facebook about her father's firing at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Baylor?src=hash">#Baylor</a>. <a href="https://t.co/TbCq4iEGWS">pic.twitter.com/TbCq4iEGWS</a></p>&mdash; Mike Leslie (@MikeLeslieWFAA) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeLeslieWFAA/status/735947082180202500">May 26, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Didn't read daughter's response. It's a pee-pee game sport that doesn't actually matter. Rape is something that matters.

11. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

It is sad what kinds of stuff gets swept under the rug in the case of millions of dollars at stake.

12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

He wanted to take over programs that were "suffering like he did"? WTH? He's no saint to use little programs as stepping stones to get paid millions of dollars at a bigger program. Most coaches do that. Most people want to be successful for their parents.

The only thing she's saying in that long post is that the dude is human.

Lady needs to get a grip.

13. Brando2101

Everyone needs to keep silent until the report is released. They don't know what will come out and it's best that the details we don't know about go back to question what was previously said. The reports are that they are going to be very critical of Briles and the early reports so far have come true.

14. gucci888

Tough read. If I'm Briles, I'd prob tell her to stay off the interwebs for a little bit. Innocent or not, she isnt helping anyone out.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Some of Art's problem was his HS coaching background. I think the players tricked him in some cases and he bought their stories. Art ends up being a father figure to these kids and didn't draw the line like he should have.

16. Nook

Nook Member

What?

First off, he was a head coach for years at the University of Houston, so his high school coaching background does not mean a whole lot in that regard. There are a number of other college coaches that started in high school.

Second, I do not believe that a bright 60 year old man, that runs an entire D1 football program is easily and repeatedly "tricked" by 18-19 year olds. Why wasn't he tricked when he was at the University of Houston?

Third, Briles is no more a father figure than a number of coaches in college athletics. Lets not forget that Briles had no problem getting rid of kids like Josh Gordon and others when the problems spilled onto the football field or became public knowledge.

Art Briles went and took a job that paid him more money and had an administration that let him do whatever he wanted to do, as long as he recruited well and he won. He also was willing to do anything it took to win and he DID win.

17. sammy

My intent was not to sound like I was making excuses for him. Whatever the case was, he was clearly negligent and hurt a lot of people in the way.

He didn't get rid of Gordon. Baylor suspended him for like 2 games over.. Pot.. And he transferred out in immature fashion never to play for Utah.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Gordon was suspended indefinitely by Briles.

19. sammy

I vaguely remember Briles saying that it wouldn't have been that long of a suspension after he decided to transfer. Weirdly enough, Briles showed that winning wasn't the main thing. Wish he stuck with that.

20. Brando2101

Heard on Austin radio that they will be offering interim coach position to one of the prominent positions and they expect him to accept today. I'm sorry I can't remembe which one.