1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Bears Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brandyon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. rocketry

rocketry Member

It begins. 4 star 2017 recruit:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Due to the departure of Coach Briles, I'd like to open my recruiting and decommit from Baylor. Thank u Baylor staff esp Coach Lebby &amp; Bedell</p>&mdash; Kedrick James (@kedrickjames044) <a href="https://twitter.com/kedrickjames044/status/735904219924811777">May 26, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Auburn finna swoop in on Kellen Mond!

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What a mess. Firing Art was the right move.

Ready for the influx of recruits bailing from their commitment to the dumpster fire...

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Bobby Burton reporting that he's heard Mack Brown is an option at Baylor.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Mond was on the way out before this assuming Stidham played out his 3 years of eligibility. Crystal ball has him going to Ohio State.

I wouldn't mind Chad Morris next year.

#925 sammy, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Firing Briles is a start, but it's nowhere near good enough. Baylor needs to completely clean house, from the top on down. It's disappointing that they decided to merely reassign Starr instead of asking him.

It would be nice if Baylor got the death penalty, but that probably won't happen.

Unfortunately, I think Briles will land another head coaching job eventually. Not this year (he's too toxic), but within the next few years. Probably in the NFL.

8. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Fixed

9. sammy

FML. I'M DONE. DANTONI AFTER THIS CRAPPY DAY.

10. sammy

I can't deal. It was nice knowing you all.

11. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Man up Sammy

1 person likes this.
  12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Because of my religious beliefs, it's impossible for me to be objective - I think Baylor should be held to a higher standard than it will be by the NCAA. Nonetheless, I think the NCAA should come down hard on Baylor for covering up this problem repeatedly and basically mocking the victims. Is there a precedent for NCAA sanctions in a situation this widespread?

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I really don't believe Starr was aware of what was going on. You just kind of have to remove him because it was an "institutional" failure. He has been promising and asking the regents for transparency and to release the entire report.

14. raining threes

^^^^
    This

After the NCAA stuff blows over.

Welcome the Baylor Bears new HC

Kendall Briles

After Sumlin shows what kind of HC he is again this yr you can Welcome the Aggies new HC Art Briles.

15. sammy

Isn't that a problem in itself? Every company has internal audit and internal control (sox) groups. That's not a valid excuse.

16. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Baylor is the same university that dealt with their Mens BB coach covering up a murder where a teammate killed another another. It happened in early 2000's or late 1990's I believe. That was a crazy scandal that dealt with murder, drugs etc.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This is the first I heard about Pringles. Argh

18. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Dont see how Baylor doesnt get sanctioned. Probably losing between 5-10 scholarships for a year or 2 and a two year post season ban. But until the sanctions come down, no established or big name coach is going to want to touch that place. NCAA will probably decide that all of this years recruiting class can be let out of their LOI's and that players will be able to transfer without having to sit out. Depending on what coaches are allowed to stay this year they could have some success but going forward is when the effects of all this will really begin to show.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

you're right, it's not. It was an institutional and culture problem and he is ultimately responsible for that.

I would be fine if one of the guys Texas recruited this year came but I would not want to take any of their current players.

I don't think the NCAA can do anything especially after they voted to deregulate the conferences. It's going to be interesting to see how they can move forward practically. It would be hard for any coach to leave their current school this late into the year and they'll likely need an entire coaching staff. The thing to remember is that Bill O'Brien went to Penn St after their scandal and got bonus points because of how he did, "under the circumstances."

I really hope Mack doesn't go there. I love him to death and would hate to play him every year. Plus, I hate seeing him bashed and it's incredibly likely that the team will struggle next year. I doubt the Baylor fans will be happy if he goes there so he'll already be facing an uphill battle.

20. sammy

I'm almost scared to post football related news amidst this scandal, but ESPN radio is reporting that Philip Montgomery is interviewing this weekend for the head coaching position.