1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Bears Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brandyon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Exactly. I can guarantee that not only is my football knowledge leaps and bounds ahead of sammy's, but my IQ is as well. I remember the multi-year stretch that Baylor had upon joining the Big XII where they went winless in conference. MULTI-YEAR. Now all of a sudden sammy is an expert on winning football. I laughed out loud when I read his prior post.

Briles is a great coach. No doubt. But this year I don't see them getting past TCU. I expect them to beat OU but that's not a given, either.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

As a TCU grad, I don't think we beat Baylor. Hell, with our defense, I don't even know if we get through OU and OSU (this weekend in Stillwater) as we cannot stop anyone (other than UT this year). We have last year's offensive potency but last year's defense is long gone and injured.

Thought Baylor looked good. That QB option/keeper destroyed TCU all game when we played them. Hopefully Baylor gets back into the top 4. I can point out a lot of Alabama and Ohio St. games where they have looked far from impressive. LSU as well. Hell, Clemson has played one meaningful game IMO. And the only one they have left is FSU.

Good game, Bears. Sucks as a TCU grad that your backup is also awesome!

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If they could only beat K-State, who was previously winless in the Big XII, by a score, then how will they beat TCU on the road? I don't see that. Plus will film on Stidham, TCU will be better prepared than K-State was.

4. Blake

TCU only beat K-State by one touchdown this year and it was on a drive in the final minute. That same K-State team put up 45 on TCU in Manhattan.

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'm just saying to maybe consider keeping your cockiness in check until Baylor actually does something significant.

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You're a Rice guy. Maybe you can tell me. Why does Stanford have good teams but Rice never does? I always theorized it was because Stanford lowered their academic standards for athletes a lot more. Is that true? Does Rice lower their academic standards at all? If not, I think that is really cool.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So let me guess.. if Baylor loses a game, you'll come in proclaiming about how right you were?

If you know football, you would know that this was Stidham's first start in a pretty hostile environment and he passed with flying colors. To assume that Baylor won't win because of a 7 point victory is silly. Any given Sunday or in this case, any given Saturday.

One game at a time. We're in sudden death mode. I am confident in the talent on offense (oakdogg has mistaken-ed it for cockiness). They'll look to get their edge back against OU and I hope it carries over in Stillwater.

You're a troll and you know it. This doesn't have anything to do with football IQ. This is all about you being salty AF.

#527 sammy, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm terrified of OK State.

9. sammy

We haven't beaten them in their house forever and will be dogs in that game. I'm hoping the experience from the OU game will help some in preparing for that one.

But there really isn't any reason to be terrified of. Baylor is a contender without top recruiting classes. We have a true freshman at the helm so we're playing with house money.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can tell you that they used to. There was a guy from my high school who played LB at Rice in the early 90's who was as smart as a brick.

11. MadMax

Yeah, I hear ya...but I'd really like a win and a trip to the playoffs. That would be huge.

12. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Gameday pretty much coming to Waco.

13. Blake

Don't be, Max. They really are not that great. Sure they are a good team, but way overrated. Anyone can put up 40-60 points on TCU...don't let that game freak you out. It was just a case of a typical TCU 2015 swiss cheese secondary and our offense didn't play well.

You guys should be fine. Now, if they blow out OU, then maybe I will believe they are legit. But beating the 2015 Frogs doesn't make someone an awesome team...not this year.

Good luck!

14. MadMax

Thanks!!

15. Indaface

Indaface Member

Even if Ok St. wasn't great this year I would still be terrified of that game...but cant worry about that or the playoff rankings, just have to take care of business against OU this week.

16. sammy

It'll come down to defense and special teams. That will be difference as it always is with Briles.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I really like TCU qb but you're right about the defense..questionable.

Baylor's run defense is atrocious, but I don't think anyone can contain their WR. Also their OL is pretty good. I would love to see a Baylor vs Bama matchup.

Bama questionable secondary but legit running game vs. Baylor questionable run defense and superb WR duo.

18. benchmoochie

OK State at home is tough as is Kansas State at home.

19. benchmoochie

2010 was a pretty rough year but that's nothing to what I witnessed when they were in the swc and went 6-5. Years of mediocrity.

20. benchmoochie

Baylor has a cake strength of schedule compared to the top 5 teams on that playoff thing. That being said, Clemson and BAMA at times this year have looked suspect too.

if Baylor wins out the rest of year ( give them 35% chance to do that), then they would have proved everyone else wrong. Winning in OSU and TCU will be tough. This OU game is not a cakewalk either. Even Texas being a rivalry game will be an interesting affair.

Baylor's run defense is atrocious. Coleman will have to still be putting up big numbers, and they must run a more balanced attack with Linwood now.