1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor Basketball Player Missing, Feared Dead

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BobFinn*, Jun 29, 2003.

1. junglerules

junglerules Member

Consideration for family and friends of a missing person, possibly dead, is TOTALLY overrated. :rolleyes:

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Dude...

Go back to lurking.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I lived in Waco...while I wouldn't choose to live there again, its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

By the way...I ate at Pappa Rollo's all the freaking time. They had a satellite there. I watched the Rockets beat the Knicks for their 15th consecutive win in 1993 on MSG TV on satellite there. Good pizza, too!

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I just can't help it when something happens in Waco, I have to go to the Wacko card. One of my best friends in college was from Waco, anyone have that friend in college that you wish you could be more like, because he just seemed to have his life together, that guy for me was from Waco. And he was especially gracious consindering I almost always referred to it as Wacko in college. But I wasn't trying to make light of the situation.

5. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Can't talk negatively about Strom Thurmond or Waco? The authorities are still investigating this case and everyone is jumping to conclusions. Let's just hope for the best.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dennehy's roomate has been reported to have told his cousin ( the roomate's, his name is Dotson or Dodson) that he shot Dennehy while they were out shooting guns. 610 is reporting this. They are saying court documents have been filed with that info. The cousin of Dotson told the Waco police. No one has been arrested and no body has been found. The roomate told his cousin that an argument started and Dennehy pointed a gun at him so he shot him.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wow. What on earth would cause somebody to do such a thing. This is just disgusting. Absolutely horrible.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If this is in fact true, how does Baylor deal with the basketball team? They have brought as bad a black mark to the school as could possibly be given. Do they cut out the program? Does the NCAA do something? I mean football teams get banned from the post season for paying players, what happens when a teammate KILLS another???

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Because it was an isolated incident from the rest of the team, I would be surprised if the basketball team doesn't exist. This has nothing to do with the NCAA, and everything to do with federal govt. UNLESS, Bliss knew about this and didn't say or do anything about it.

Banning the basketball does not bring Dennehy back to life, therefore it's really futile to do that.

FWIW, Dotson left the team in May for reasons I'm not sure of. It is truly sad that one idiot who plays basketball has tarnished Baylor.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

11. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Teammate allegedly shot Baylor player
    Waco police treating Patrick Dennehy's case as homicide; documents link junior forward to suspected death

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Matthew Obernauer and Jonathan Osborne

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, June 30, 2003

WACO — Police are investigating a Baylor basketball player in the disappearance of teammate Patrick Dennehy, according to court documents filed this afternoon.

An affidavit accompanying a warrant to search Dennehy's computer identifies Carlton Dotson, a junior forward on the Baylor basketball team, as a suspect.

Waco Police Chief Alberto Melis said this afternoon that police are treating Dennehy's disappearance as a homicide. He also said that an unidentified person who may have information about the case was also a member of the Baylor community, but he did not mention the team specifically, nor did he identify any suspects.

But the affidavit released by a state district judge this afternoon said that police in Delaware had received information from an informant tying Dotson to the disappearance.

The document says that, according to a police informant, Dotson told his cousin that he and Dennehy were out shooting guns in McLennan County earlier this month and had an argument. The document says that Dennehy pointed a gun at Dotson, and that Dotson then shot Dennehy in the head with a 9 mm pistol.

According to the informant, Dotson said that he then drove home to Hurlock, Md., disposing of the guns on the way.

Waco police mentioned none of this at a 4 p.m. press conference today. Melis said only that the disappearance of the 21-year-old Dennehy "is being investigated as if he were a victim of a homicide."

Dennehy, 6-foot-10-inch, 230-pound center who sat out last season after transferring from the University of New Mexico, has been missing since June 12 or June 13.

Investigators have been questioning members of the Baylor basketball team. Dotson has not been arrested.

Last week, Waco detectives also flew to Virginia Beach Thursday to examine an SUV found without license plates in a strip mall, said Virginia Beach Police spokesman Jimmy Barnes.

Officers also have searched Dennehy's Waco apartment at least twice in recent days, officials said. On one occasion, investigators armed with the search warrant examined a computer from the apartment.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/metro/dennehy/0630dennehy.html

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Truly tragic and an utter senseless death. I am getting tired of reading about these senseless deaths. Once again, it does nothing but strengthen my desire for a policy on gun control in this country.

:(

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

With out debating the subject here.

The violent act of one person should not deprive the right of law abiding citizens to provide for their own protection. :mad:

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

But aren't you debating it anyway?;) You can still protect yourself, but do it with something that is less likely to kill someone and has less of a chance of "accidentally" disengaging itself into another person.

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

this is a tragic event and my condolenses to his family, but nevertheless it is a timely reminder to Steve, Cat and Mooch to what can happen if you don't pass the damn ball.