1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bayern Munich will win the Champions League this year

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 6, 2003.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, you heard it here first...I know I said the same thing last year and it didn't exactly work out :D...

...but...Bayern just picked up Roy Makaay, the leading goal scorer in Spain and in Europe last year - he scored more goals in Spain than Raul or Ronaldo or anyone else and he just joined Bayern.

Let's have a look at a head-to-head matchup Bayern vs. Real:

Goalkeeper: Kahn v. Casillas - Kahn is the best goalie in the world, enough said - 1:0 Bayern

Defense: Real will always suck on defense even though they just got rid of Hierro who was really slow in the end, whereas Bayern has internationals Kuffour, Linke, Kovac, Demichelis, Lizarazu, Sagnol. Real has Roberto Carlos, but he is stronger offensively than defensively. Real also lacks experienced players on defense now, which is a huge handicap since they will have to play all their stars who are offensively oriented - 2:0 Bayern

Midfield: This is where Real is a powerhouse, no doubt about it. Zidane, Beckham, Figo...what can I say but...wow. But do not underestimate Bayern here - Bayern has Ballack who is not as stylish as Zidane (nobody is), but is a much more dangerous goal scorer. Bayern also has Scholl, who is an artist on the football field just as much as Ze Roberto and Deisler. Where I see Bayern having an advantage is that Bayern has players in the midfield who are actually stronger defensively than offensively - Jeremies, Hargreaves, Salihamidzic. These guys can outrun anyone and really put the clamps on opposing players' stars - Salihamidzic has given Roberto Carlos fits whenever they played each other. Still, because of Zidane, I have to give this one to Real. It's MUCH closer than people think, though - 2:1 Bayern

Forwards: Raul and Ronaldo - best forwards in the world. Not much else to say. But is Bayern far behind? Me thinks not. Elber is one of the most underrated guys in Brazil - he scored the most goals a foreigner has ever scored in the German league. I think Brazil would have probably won the world cup anyway had he played in place of Ronaldo. That is how highly I rate him. Makaay - he scored more goals than Raul and Ronaldo last year in the Spanish league - this says something. Pizzarro is better than anyone Real has behind Raul and Ronaldo - yes, better than Morientes or Guti. The same goes for Roque Santa Cruz from Paraguay, who might be one of the best players in the world that nobody seems to know about. He's already easily the best player ever from Paraguay. As fast as Ronaldo and he can actually dribble. However, he has been injury-prone in the past. Anyway, Raul and Ronaldo are the two best forwards in the world, so - 2:2

Coach: Ottmar Hitzfeld is the winningest coach ever in German history. He also won the Champions League with two different teams, Dortmund and Bayern. He is probably the best club team coach in the world right now. Queiroz might be good, but he is unproven so far. Clear advantage Bayern - 3:2 Bayern

Depth: Yes, Real has the bigger stars - Zidane, Beckham, Figo, Raul, Roberto Carlos. But behind these five guys - what is there? Guti, Morientes, Solari...they are ok, but they pale behind what Bayern has to offer. Bayern has about 20 national team players. Hitzfeld could play completely different starting lineups and both would practically only consist of current national team members in their respective countries. If one or two of Real's stars go down or are neutralized (for which Bayern has excellent players, by the way, like Jeremies), Bayern easily has the edge. And Bayern has huge stars of its own - Kahn, Ballack, Lizarazu, Ze Roberto, Elber, Makaay - these guys have it in them. 4:2 Bayern

Overall, I believe Bayern has the edge. The team is more harmonically put together. You do not necessarily win by just buying a few huge names. You win by putting together the best TEAM. I could do the same thing with player vs. player matchups (as in who would most probably play against the other on the field individually) and you could see that Bayern will neutralize Real's strengths while beating them in several key matchups.

The only other teams that can realistically challenge for the Champions League title are Juventus Turin and Manchester United in my opinion. I am so much looking forward to the next season.

Bayern will dominate the Champions League 2003-2004. They are hungry this year. They will win it all. Mark my words. :D

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I am an idiot when it comes to foreign soccer. But, what exactly is champions league?

Is it a few clubs from different leagues getting together to see who the baddest mother team is in europe?

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I could not have found better words to explain it :). Yes, that's it.

Actually, it's the previous year's national champions and, in the stronger countries, the runner-ups (some additional teams can get in through a qualification).

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/CompetitionInfo/index.html

4. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Chelsea.

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Damien Duff, Blackburn : £17m
    Juan Sebastian Veron, Man Utd : £15m
    Geremi, Real Madrid : £7m
    Wayne Bridge, Southampton : £7m
    Joe Cole, West Ham : £6.6m
    Glen Johnson, West Ham : £6m

It's like no one told Chelski the bubble on the transfer market burst.

Despite the Acquisition of Makaay, who is a badass, I think you underestimate the ability of Real Madrid's midfield to absolutely dominate a game.

I wouldn't count out the Italian teams just yet - good defense and goalkeeping can take you along way - unless they play ManU in the extended knockout phase, and forget to mark Ryan Giggs again.

6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Question for you football junkies:

Is there ANY way in any shape or form that I can watch these games here in Houston? I'am starving to watch the Champions League.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i feel ya bro.

ESPN2 would show a CL match every tuesday @ 1:30 CST. well, not every tuesday.

other than that, your best bet would be Fox Sports World, although i don't know if they show CL matches. but good league play nontheless. maybe satellite. it really, really, really, really sucks not being able to catch good soccer matches.

BTW, i think i'm gonna be a Liverpool fan. Owen, Heskey, Diouf, Kewell, Xavier (weird lookin guy). i like them. although i'm not sure if they'll be in the Champions League this season, i think they have to qualify.

and whats the situation w/ Leverkusen (sp?). are they gonna suck from here on out or what? it'd be a shame (i suppose).

8. vangundy

vangundy Member

Go to Richmond Arm's on Richmond & Fountainview. They have soccer on TV all the time, especially the EPL.

And Juve will win the CL.

9. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I feel you SJC, I think Makaay should have been the highest priced transfer ever. That dude is freaking sick. He was single handedly carry Deportivo in the Champions League last season and he made every team he faced afraid. Bayern got eliminated last year because of Makaay and now they have him, talk about a pick up. Ballack is just hitting his prime as well, And Kahn is a wall. I see this team as far superior to any other, including Real. I think the second best team, now that they have Cole and Veron, is Chelsea. I see them, especially with Duff, taking the Premiership next year, if not the one after. Chelsea will be the next Real, except cooler because they haven't been dominating the sport for the last couple decades.

But I will always have a place in my heart for the Devils.

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I need somebody to clear something up for me...

I was under the impression that the Veron deal had a wednesday deadline attached to it because Chelsea wanted him to be eligible for Champions League play? Or was it qualifying?

Either way, United is now sitting on all this money, they aren't a selling club, and they've got until August 31st to make use of it.

Any guesses as to what they'll do with the cash? Ideally, they'd get Van der Vart from Ajax, who was pure class in the Amsterdam Cup last weekend...doubt they sell him though.

I'm not high on Dafoe...so maybe Carlos Puyol to shore up the defense and Joaquin to give them a threat up front with Van Nistelrooy?

PS- Chelsea will disappoint and there's a player named Ronaldo coming up with Lisbon who looks to be amazing....you knew he had to be pretty good if they were willing to sell Quaresma to Barcelona, but I was converted tonight after having seen him embarass O'Shea and United.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Chelsea will not do ANYTHING on the European level. They overpaid for a bunch of guys who could not get it done on their previous teams. Not terrible players, but not good enough value for the money. Just look at it...if that 17 m pounds for Duff is correct...Bayern paid about 17 m EUROS for Makaay. You are not telling me Duff is more valuable than Makay...

Pued, I think Real's midfield will tear it up against weaker teams that let them play. But with Jeremies or Hargreaves permanently on his toes (and that's literally the way they can play, without fouling), Zidane will be far less effective (he'll still have his flashes of brilliance, and with a bit of luck, that alone can be enough to decide a game, I do concede that). Lizarazu has always taken Beckham out of the game when they were matched up against each other - and Ze Roberto, who plays on the left wing for Bayern, will keep Beckham busy defensively, too. On the other wing, Salihamidzic kills Roberto Carlos every single time they play each other. I think Figo is on the decline. Ballack is easily more valuable, it's true, he is just starting to hit his prime. He should be at the peak for the World Cup 2006 in Germany.

Individual matchups:

Ronaldo - Kuffour: Kuffour will obviously have his hands full. But he's a great defender.
    Raul - Robert Kovac (or Linke, the jury is still out on Demichelis): See above.
    Zidane - Jeremies: See what I wrote above - nobody can completely take Zidane out of the game, but if anyone can get close to it, it's Jeremies or Hargreaves.
    Beckham - Lizarazu: Even.
    Roberto Carlos - Salihamidzic: Even.
    Solari? - Ballack: As said, Ballack is just starting to hit his prime. He can become as unstoppable (not as elegant, but equally or more efficient) as Zidane.
    Figo - Ze Roberto: I think Figo (although he is still elegant and a great player offensively) is starting to lose a step. If he is matched up with Ze Roberto, he might break his ankles. The player matched up against Ze Roberto in the German Bundesliga last weekend said "I could not even get to foul him, he's such a quick dribbler."
    Makelele - Hargreaves: Hargreaves wins the battle of the "workers" in the midfield. Bayern could also stun Real here and bring the more offensive-minded Scholl or Deisler.
    Salgado - Elber: There is no way Salgado or whoever they will play on defense can stop Elber on a good day. At least as much a mismatch as with Ronaldo on the other side - Ronaldo might be even better than Elber, but the Bayern defenders are way better than the Real defenders.
    Helguera - Makaay: See above.

12. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

To be fair to Chelsea, a lot of the cost for these transfers was on future potential, most of these players were extremely young. It's rather unfair to judge them based upon what they've done so far.

Duff is only 24, and you have to remember - he costs more because he's moving to a different team in the same league. I mean, if you were Deportivo and Bayern and say, Valencia came calling for Makaay wouldn't you ask more from Valencia as a "He's now playing against us" kind of bonus?

Wayne Bridge is only 22.
    Joe Cole is 21, and is immensly talented.
    Glenn Johnson was 18 - and better than Rio Ferdinand at a similar age.

Geremi played alright for M'Boro, I reckon. Not sure it was £7M worth, but still.

Another thing to consider is that Deportivo is operating under the rules of the market now - it's a buyers market, and you won't get much for even great players nowadays - because half the teams are about to collapse in chasms of debt and hellfire, and the other half have discovered that they can't go on spending huge sums of money because that kind of income is no longer sustainable.

And then there's Chelski, who's got a Billionaire willing to spend money in a sport where Spending miney gets you things. Wouldn't you extort some more money out of them? I mean, when someone's willing to shell out £71.4M for one player, I wouldn't expect them to trifle over a few mill here or there if it meant getting their player in time. And of course, the rumored monster offers for Henry and Nesta too. He's a free spender - wouldn't you try to rip him off a bit?

Of course, there's always the possiblilty that Deportivo have simply lost their minds(as was my initial reaction), in which case comparing Chelski's spending to Munich's coup is rather unfair. They didn't negotiate with anyone who'd lost their marbles, as near as I can tell.

re : Bayern vs Real. Bayern should win, because Real has a crappy defense - but I still think the real danger isn't the individual matchups - it's the ceiling of the individual players. If you catch Real on a night when their entire team is clicking, you're ****ed - because you'll never see the ball to build up an attack. Figo, Zidane, Raul are just too good. Even if you catch them with only half of their "big guns" on their game, you're still looking at the best players from half of the traditional powers in Europe and South America and it's just Russian Roulette which one will kill you that night.

But Real shouldn't go to far, on account of their defense. And Bayern should beat them. But the Brilliance in the midfield can cover a lot of deficiencies in the rest of the team.

Whether or not they beat whichever narcoleptic nightmare comes plodding out if Italy this year to challenge for the title, will be a different matter.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

chelski have a nice team, if they get the line-up and chemistry right they will be great to watch.

Duff is amazing, did you not watch the world cup SJC???

they may or may not suck in europe, but the premier league will be tight at the top this year, Chelski v Liverpool v ManPoo v Arsenal and maybe Newcastle will make for entertaining viewing, plus will get to watch my Villa get smashed by Chelski at Stamford bridge on my trip in september.

14. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

The radio here has just said that Chelsea have had a bid accepted for Vieri.

They haven't finished spending yet.

SJC, you think Hargreaves is better than Makelele? :eek:

15. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

You should be higher on Defoe, he's an excellent striker, young, and you'll get him relatively cheaply from West Ham, as they've been relegated.

16. SmeggySmeg

WOW

17. SmeggySmeg

from football365.com

CHELSEA GOSSIP
    Chelsea will today complete the signing of Man Utd flop Juan Sebastian Veron, if we are to believe the tabloids. The Argentine reportedly opted for the move after coming to the conclusion that he might not be Fergie's first choice in midfield. The Red Devils will accept a £16m offer for the player that they paid £29.1m for just two years ago.

And in the less believable section of this gossip, The Blues will also apparently sign Inter Milan striker Christian Vieri for 30-odd million.

18. SmeggySmeg

http://www.ananova.com/sport/soccer/story/sm_806766.html?menu=sport.football.footballheadlines

Vieri tipped to join Blues

Inter Milan striker Christian Vieri is already on his way from Italy to join Chelsea, according to two national newspapers.

"Christian Vieri is due to be unveiled today as a Chelsea player in the most arresting deal so far of the Roman Abramovich revolution," claims The Independent.

"Internazionale have accepted a fee of just over £20million for the 30-year-old striker and it is thought that Vieri, after an initial reluctance, has agreed to the move. He will earn a salary in excess of £5m a year."

The Daily Mirror says: "Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will take his spending spree to a staggering £80million plus on the signing of Italy striker Christian Vieri today."

19. haven

haven Member

I think the CL is wide open. I surely wouldn't make Bayern odds on favorites (though I doubt a repeat of last year is likely).

Nobody should even mention Chelsea: I'm not sure they have a single world class player, outside of Gallas. They do have excellent depth and few holes.

I think it will come down to Madrid, Bayern, Juve, Man Utd, Inter (w/Vieri) and (my surprise pick) Newcastle this year. I just don't think you can pick a team in the CL, and say "they'll win it." Injuries, form, etc play too large of a factor.

I'm leaving out Arsenal (aging Bergkamp, crazed GK, question marks about Viera's status, center back problems), Milan (aging defense), Depor (no Makaay), and Chelsea (few true world class players).

Incidentally, SJC, I think you're overrating Kahn and Mackaay, and I think Elber's age is about to start catching up.

Kahn was certainly the best in the world for a long time - but in the Bundesliga last year, his age began to show. His reflexes aren't really quite as good. I'd give Casillas an even go, there.

Makaay is excellent, but his form last year was really far better than it had ever been before, and he's 28 - which means it's far more likely to be an anomaly than a sea change.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

if Real are the Yankees of soccer, Chelsea is quickly becoming the Mavs.