1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battle for the Starting PF spot - 2014/15 Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Oct 6, 2014.

?

Who deserves to start at PF currently

Poll closed Mar 5, 2015.
  1. Jeff Adrien

13 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Clint Capela

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Terrence Jones

176 vote(s)
    60.5%
  4. Donatas Motiejunas

78 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. Kostas Papanikolaou

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Joey Dorsey

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Small Ball (Harden)

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. omgTHEpotential

Apparently it doesn't matter. As long as he never got consistent minutes, he's eligible for becoming a rookie.

[​IMG]

2. omgTHEpotential

Then I guess we should trade both TJ and DMo since neither one of those guys has a good shooting form and can hit the three with consistency.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

in Tj's case yup. Dmo's played in over 100 games and was consistently in the rotation last season. TJ played in less than 20 game up until starting last year. So I'd say Tj's status in the league was pretty much a rookie and also probably to the majority of the league.

4. omgTHEpotential

Neither one of them were injured in 2012-13 season, they just weren't good enough to crack the rotation - that doesn't make them rookies.

2012-13
    DMo 44 games
    TJ 19 games

That's not much of a difference tbh. DMo played 44 games at 12.2 mpg (536.8 minutes in total) while TJ played 19 games at 14.5 mpg (275.5 minutes). That's a difference of 261.3 minutes. If they averaged a starter like minutes (36mpg) that would only make a difference of 7 regular season games. That is nothing.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty interesting why its hard for you to understand how TJ would be a considered a rookie last year as a first time starter and first time playing over half the game, especially being in only 19 games prior.

so you say Dmo can become a rookie this year in his 3rd season but fail to leave out the 62 games he played last year, consistently being part of the rotation. Again, he would have over 100 games under his belt to this point.

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Well, the rockets actually need a PF who can play a good defense in order to pass the first round playoff in the West. Currently, we do not have any of those, Morey should be able to grab one before the February trade deadline.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well DMo is our best defensive 4, but he's not a good fit going against the smaller, quicker 4's in the game. Also, he'll have to be used at the backup 5 because we don't have anyone for that. We clearly need to add some pieces.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

We've seen an entire year of TJones, and while decent... not great...
    I say give DMo a shot... The biggest knock on him is consistency... Let's give him consistent minutes with a consistent lineup around him (starting unit) and see if he can rise to the occassion...

9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I disagree. Jones is a horrendous rebounder while DMO boxes out very well.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

false. dmo isn't strong enough to box out

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL really? I would suggest going back and watching the games over. A lot of the reason why his rebounding numbers are low but the team's rebounds are higher when he's on the court is because he boxes his man out so well and so often. It's one of the strengths of his game actually.

12. bmd

bmd Member

Neither are great, but Jones grabs more boards and the numbers support it.

13. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

Our PF position needs some serious upgrading. I like Tj and DMo but off the bench.

I'd still go with TJ at the moment. We'll see as the season progresses.

14. bmd

bmd Member

Do you have numbers to support this? Or can you at least direct me where to go to find this out myself?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but there's not much of a difference between 8.5 rebounds per 36 and 9.1 rebounds per 36 and when you factor in defense and boxing out the .6 more rebounds per 36 is meaningless.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes really..you must not be watching him in the NBA..strengths? lol now that part was definitely made up.

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I have high hopes for Adrian. With Bev, harden, ariza, and dwight scoring we don't really need a high scoring PF.

I would rather have Adrian defending and rebounding against another's team starting PF, and have jones come of the bench to help add offensive production from the bench. DMo could be Dwight's back up as well. I could picture terry and jones being the leaders off the bench with all the new guys

18. Remii

Remii Member

Yea, because Delfino was a beast at getting dunked on as a power forward. Lol...

As for the rest of your statement _ TJ spent A LOT of time in the D-League that year practicing and playing with a bunch of future warehouse workers while D-Mo was practicing with the big boys and the big boy coaching staff a lot that year which makes a hell of a difference. So you can't just add up the minutes without taking that under consideration.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I misspoke, there are the stats broken down by the guys on the court over at basketball reference.com, 2 of the 3 top rotations in plus-minus last year were units with DMo in the game. Both of those units were significantly plus in rebounding. Of course there is sample size problems.

20. Remii

Remii Member

I suggest you watch the games over... Heck _ watch the summer league (in case you missed it) and you will see him getting pushed around the paint like a rag doll by a bunch of kids... You'll also see him doing dumb shyt on the court as well...

But I do think he's good to have coming off the bench for a scoring punch...