1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battle for the Starting PF spot - 2014/15 Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Oct 6, 2014.

?

Who deserves to start at PF currently

Poll closed Mar 5, 2015.
  1. Jeff Adrien

13 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Clint Capela

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Terrence Jones

176 vote(s)
    60.5%
  4. Donatas Motiejunas

78 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. Kostas Papanikolaou

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Joey Dorsey

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Small Ball (Harden)

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, last season was basically his rookie year cause he didn't play at all his actual rookie year.

That's what young players are: inconsistent. He got a lot better as the season went on.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That could easily happen again, so I'm not worried about the position. I'm just curious as to what TJones did all offseason. It doesn't look like he put any work into his game like donuts did.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or he feels safe and is saving energy, coasting a tad so far

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Meh. I don't really take much from Terrence's offensive performance last night. The starters & especially Dwight were really trying to shake the dust off from the off-season. It should be expected that he wouldn't get that many touches offensively.

However his rebounding is something that is probably my biggest concern. He just doesn't seem to have a natural knack for tracking the ball.

Coming off a Summer that saw D-Mo competing at a high level in the World Cup should lend to a better training camp naturally. He had a good level of consistency, and timing offensively. Rebounding wise, they both are still lacking.

When McHale says the position is wide open, I do believe its more of a challenge to Terrence to improve than anything, but D-Mo taking that leap forward probably means more to the team's overall success at creating matchup problems for other teams, and being able to defend at an elite level with all of that front line size.

Just going to have to wait and see.

5. Zbed

Zbed Member

It looks like Dmo bulked up, looked very sharp
    Jones is officially on the hot seat, especially if Dmo keeps rolling.

6. Zbed

Zbed Member

Anyone else think Adrien can slide into the starting PF role? He showed some needed toughness and grit that we need out there. Or am I just crazy?

7. FeaR

FeaR Member

Starting ? I don't know but Pap/Adrien/DMo combo was very good off the bench.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Unless Dwight has an amazing year offensively, I see that unit having a ton of issues scoring the ball, and Harden's efficiency having a big decline.

However... man on man that defense would be elite & would clean house on the glass for a change. I dunno about starting him, but I do think its a lineup you see alot especially late in games when the team is trying to hold onto a lead.

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Watch out for Clint Capela. I think he will be a surprise and will beat Terrence Jones for the starting spot. I honestly believe this guy will be good.

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Pap is a Small Forward not power Forward.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would still start TJones and have DMo as the backup PF and C....still playing 30 mins a night.

DD

12. FeaR

FeaR Member

I know. Pap(SF),Adrien(PF) and DMo(C).

13. tested911

tested911 Member

I think Dmo is nothing more than a serviceable backup, and has already reached his potential. If there was one individual who should up their game this year it would be T. Jones.

The most intriguing big is Adrien... Man did he show a lot of hustle, grit, "HOPS", and passion for the game last night. Granted it was against 2nd/3rd stringers but he the one I'm most excited about so far.

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I think this was the first time I've seen DMo play extended minutes without being knocked to the floor . Didn't see the first half but DMO looked really good

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see DMo play with Howard on the court while still using him properly rather than as a stretch 4. His inside passing ability is one of the strengths of his game, he should have had 2 or 3 more assists in last night's game, but he was getting the ball to guys like Black who couldn't convert. If it was Howard, those are easy points.

16. omgTHEpotential

In order for that to work Dwight needs to understand he's not a great post player. If we could only use Dwight for PnR and let DMo get to work in the post, that would make a nice tandem with the way they both can pass (especially DMo).

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would like them to play the Hi-Lo, and put DMo up top most of the time, but occassionally switch with DHo, and when TJo is in with DMo, they can rotate on the HiLo, you know.

DD

1 person likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wow after last night people still don't seee it huh?

19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Whatchyou mean REEKO?

20. mightybosstone

It's worth experimenting with Motiejunas as the starting PF this offseason. I think most of us can agree that he's the most skilled offensive big man on the team and the Rockets need to find him someway to get him more minutes on the floor, preferably in the low post instead of being camped out on the perimeter.

But if he ends up being a better fit getting 25 minutes between the backup 4 and 5 spots, I'm fine with that as well. They just need to do a better job of utilizing his strengths, which could be a huge benefit to this team.