1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battle for the Starting PF spot - 2014/15 Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Oct 6, 2014.

?

Who deserves to start at PF currently

Poll closed Mar 5, 2015.
  1. Jeff Adrien

13 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Clint Capela

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Terrence Jones

176 vote(s)
    60.5%
  4. Donatas Motiejunas

78 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. Kostas Papanikolaou

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Joey Dorsey

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Small Ball (Harden)

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I didn't understand why we didn't do more of that last year.

We'd have nothing going on offense with the second unit, and instead of posting D-mo to try something different, we'd keep running that guard centric offense with Lin or whoever.

I just didn't get it.

Seems like McHale would have recognized some of our struggles to score on the second unit and told them to feed Dmo on the block some.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think that was more of a problem in 2012/13 when they first gave him PT and put him in the corners. Last year they were smart enough to start most of their formations with D-Mo and another big in the Horns formation. However he'd often float out to the 3 point line anyways to give a little more spacing to the drivers in their P&R & post up sets.

The problem with D-Mo (especially seen with the national team) is that you really need to have him actively involved in the sets you are running for him to really be effective. He is absolutely not an off the ball threat like Jones is when he's cutting and moving without to the ball to make the defense pay for overcompensation towards Dwight or Harden.

I dunno, but its a big year for D-Mo. He's got to figure out a way, at least offensively, to be a threat playing OFF of the star players. On defense, its simple. Stop committing stupid fouls & stop losing track of your man to block him out (often watches the shots go up while his man slips by him for offensive rebounding position).

3. dobro1229

One would think, but the verbiage coming from McHale in interviews really states otherwise. Sounds like he's not going to have anything given to him, and that D-Mo and Adrien have a legit shot.

Last year McHale didn't have a veteran option like Adrien at the 4 either. We all know coaches often will play the less talented vet's that they don't have to baby sit over the youngsters if their GM's give them free reign to do so.

I think Jones is the obvious choice right now, but I definitely think its still the most interesting battle I can see happening in the preseason. If someone wins the spot over Jones, its going to shift alot of things for the team this year.

4. dobro1229

Also don't just laugh off small ball. With better perimeter defending wings and guards, I wouldn't be shocked at all if some of the best lineups had Dwight, Harden, Ariza, and two guards in it. There is a legitimate argument for the Rockets to utilize small ball this year more than ever before.

5. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I think TJones starts the season at the 4. However, I think papanikolaou becomes the starter at some point and becomes a true stretch 4.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Anyone see Mirotics highlights last night?
    I can't see them holding on to 4 starters in their big men rotation. Let's hope Pau fits in and plays really well. Gibson is a professional but can he really average less minutes this season than last?

7. basketballholic

Gibson ' s contract is a cap clogger. He doesn't fit as a primary big next to Dwight until AFTER we acquire our third superstar. ......which Taj is not.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Shot blocking is the flashy part of defense so I understand how it can fool people into thinking Jones was a competent defender when he was anything but that. Hell Jeter won gold gloves as a result of making ridiculous jump throws on what would have been routine easy throws to first if he was a competent defender so it makes sense. People love flash and Jones is flashy, my problem is that outside the flash of blocks and dunks there's not a lot of substance to his game, or rather there wasn't a lot of substance to his game. It's entirely possible that he's improved over last year, he's young and those kinds of leaps happen. We'll see how it plays out.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't know. He's definitely not a star but maybe someone to roll the dice on. Hope he steps up if given bigger role.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

So Howard's shotblocking skills are flashy and not good defense?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he was constantly out of position and unable to guard anyone one on one then he would be a bad defender despite his shot blocking skills. Fortunately Howard is a really good defender so the flash is just the cherry on the top so to speak. There's more to defense than shot blocking.

12. nobie

nobie Member

I hope you are joking about Dorsey being best big man in euroleague, i just checked his stats after you wrote it and they are abyssal 5pts/5rebs and 37% ft. It seems like he cant score unless its a dunk..and his 6'7 size is pretty terrible for C....

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

What about the Capella voters?

If you voted for Clint, please step forward.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

think you need to check again

15. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Jones for sure, he put in pretty decent numbers last year. But.. kinda got killed in the playoffs.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

LMFBO. Tell that to Hakeem and Mutombo LOL

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you are following along with the conversation here, both Hakeem and Mutombo were good defenders outside of just shot blocking....sure they were great shot blockers, but that's not all they were, which is why they were good defenders.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

do you consider ibaka a good defender?

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Be nice to see what Jeff Adrien can do. I expect Jones to improve. Don't know what Motiejunas will do.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's pretty good, he needs to work on some things, but compared to Jones he's Olajuwon. Jones is closer to Hasheem Thabeet defensively than he is to Ibaka.

The baseball version of Jones' defense would be a hitter who got 25 homeruns last year but was batting .100 for the season.