1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battle for the Starting PF spot - 2014/15 Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dobro1229, Oct 6, 2014.

?

Who deserves to start at PF currently

Poll closed Mar 5, 2015.
  1. Jeff Adrien

13 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Clint Capela

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Terrence Jones

176 vote(s)
    60.5%
  4. Donatas Motiejunas

78 vote(s)
    26.8%
  5. Kostas Papanikolaou

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Joey Dorsey

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Small Ball (Harden)

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kenneth Faried!!!!!

Oh, wait....

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Jones. He's easily the most intimidating defender in that list.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, is that a joke? He's one of the worst defenders on the roster, of all the reasons he might end up the starter, defense isn't one of them.

4. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

I actually meant if he regressed, but was being lazy and didnt want to edit:eek:

5. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Only in bizarro world is jones the most intimidating defender on any list.

6. baubo

baubo Member

I hope for our rotation is this.

TJones as the starter. Plays for 25-30mpg. High energy, improved defense.
    DMo as backup 4/5, hopefully lots of backup 5 should his defense improve. Plays 20-25mpg
    Papanikalaou as the small ball 4 in spurts. Preferably 20mpg split between 3/4.

7. Space City

Space City Member

Although I agree that TJ is the most likely starter, Adrien shouldn't be so easily dismissed as a realistic option as some are suggesting.
    If rebounding truly is McHale's priority from his starting PF, Adrien appears to be the superior option.

Last season, Jones' TRB% (total rebounding percentage) was 14.1% and 18.5% on the defensive side, where we struggled most.
    Adrien, however boasted a TRB% of 18.2% and a DRB% of 24.8% which aren't far off from Dwight's percentages of 20.1% and 27.9%.
    These numbers for Adrien are fairly consistent over his career as he holds averages of 17.2% and 23.3%, respectively.

Adrien may be best suited as a hustle player off the bench, but he could get a real look in the starting lineup. However, if Jones can just show improvement is his rebounding, my argument is moot. There is also the issue of floor spacing, and while Adrien has been working on his jumper (from what I've seen) there's no certainty he'll be able to space the floor enough for our stars.

I'm hoping Jones (along with D-Mo) continues to make strides throughout the year as he could be the difference maker in Houston's success.

8. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I agree with everything you said about DMo but I think the problem is the rockets are asking him to do things which aren't strengths (I.e shoot 3s). DMo needs to be a high post player.

9. Space City

Space City Member

Ha Capela and Harden got some votes. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

10. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

PF position is hopeless

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

dobro,

Last year we thought Love, Millsap, Thad Young or some other veteran would come and take over that spot. Did not happen

We have again limited choices as a starter. TJ has it for now.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We don't have a solid backup C and I am not totally sold on Dorsey.

DMO probably at the bench 5 spot

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Dorsey will be used situationally. some nights ten min then some nights zero. just whenever need a big guy to bang down there. be physically. get boards. blocks.

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

dmo has an awesome face up game and aoft touch around basket like Yao did. he also laks aggressiveness like Yao come to think of it. (when Yao first started out) dmo also is inconsistent with outside shot and overall games as you mentioned. if he could put it together then yes he would be the future 4

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably because he did not do everything well enough except for shotblocking.

Shotblocking is part of the defensive game so in that area he is not too shabby.

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

TJ brings blocking and hustle. We've seen him come into games and, as 1 man, completely shift the momentum back to the rockets. Blocking and hustling after the ball is D to me.

He made rookie mistakes last year. He'll get over them. Is he Aldridge or Griffin? No. But he's better than the 2Pats, Thad Youngs of the league. And he's young and showing rapid improvement.

I like how he's got the handles of a PG. Guy can seriously ball. Remember he was a tall, T-Mac-esque PG for his high school team before a growth spurt.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2rho-4WvBLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j6veGg_pQAA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I wouldn't sleep on Jeff Adrien IMO. Would like to see DMO getting some minutes at the 5 spot this upcoming season.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Ryan Anderson.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm surprised D-Mo still has supporters for the starting nod.

It's obviously Jones - I think with no roster changes he could easily put up 15 and 8 all season.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I actually like Adrien. He brings toughness, rebounding, hustle and some brains despite being undersized.

Having said that I would go with this rotation:

PF: TJ / Adrien
    C: Howard / DMO

The best big man in Europe Dorsey should not see time unless one of the above goes down. Rather have DMo play back up 5 than Dorsey. Let's face it, there aren't too many back up 5's bigger than DMo. That way he can have some actual post ups and at least we have a scoring option in the low post for our 2nd unit instead of relying on perimeter jumpers.