1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

battier's stock falling ..... to 13?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jamma34, Jun 26, 2001.

1. jamma34

jamma34 Member

espn seems to think battier's stock may fall out of the lottery altogether!

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2001/s/2001/0626/1219028.html

this seems to be consistent with the news that atlanta may try to trade the pick for a veteran, or maybe take someone else. doug collins wants battier -- but at #1, it might not be such a wise idea, and jordan seems against it. if his stock does fall, and the rockets CAN grab him at 13 (as was originally predicted quite a while back, like when the draft order was announced right?) then we'd be set. no need to trade up or any of that.

i personally think its all just fluff and atlanta will still take him at #3. but are there any realistic chances he'll drop? or is espn just creating pre draft drama for the hell of it

------------------
    president of the sleepy floyd to hall of fame club.

http://www.it-is-truth.org

http://members.fortunecity.com/omar369

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Pure "fluff". Don't believe everything you read from espn

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There is no way on earth Battier would fall anywhere near 13. At worst, he'd be gone by 6 or 7. The only way we'd have a chance to get him is by working a trade with Chicago, which doesn't look too likely anymore.

------------------
    The Mo Taylor Fan Site

"Basketball players win basketball games. Athletes win track meets."-- Shane Battier

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

Cat's Mock Draft

4. Toast

Toast Member

I dunno if you guys read Sports Illustrated or not, but in the last issue, there was an article where a reporter followed an NBA scout around his stops, and this NBA scout didn't have Battier in the lottery. So it's not just ESPN making this stuff up. There are others out there who wouldn't take him with their lottery pick.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

5. The Cat

That same SI article had Eddie Griffin projected from picks 7-13. I wouldn't put much stock in that report...

------------------
    The Mo Taylor Fan Site

"Basketball players win basketball games. Athletes win track meets."-- Shane Battier

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

Cat's Mock Draft

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Don't get your hopes up

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

7. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, I don't doubt they ranked Griffein low, 'cause not only does SI mess a bunch of stuff up, but also I'm sure that scout didn't wanna give away any secrets. But I almost agree with their assessment of Battier. I don't see him as having potential star caliber. I think he'll be a solid NBA player, but with a high pick in the lottery, teams are probably more likely to gamble on someone who could turn out to be a superstar than a solid player who will put up decent numbers.

But, of course, I'm biased, 'cause I was never much of a Battier fan [​IMG]

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree,no way he falls past 7 or 8.We know about most of the great fundamentals he brings to the table,but there is so much more.For instance,in the Chronicle they talked about the "Superman Drill"in which two guys are pitted against each other and a ball is placed at halfcourt.This one was in Atlanta and Battier was faced up with Jason Richardson.The player is supposed to go back and forth dunking until he drops.Now,we know what a skywalker Richardson is.For those of you who didn't read it,the previous record was 27.Well Richardson did 63...then Battier stepped up with noone thinking he would even top 27.He did 70....mental toughness and athletic ability that gets overshadowed by all the other things he does.I've heard about great workouts all over.If he drops,I think it's just because of the potential GM's see in these high school kids and has nothing to do with any deficiency which Shane might have.

------------------

9. jamma34

jamma34 Member

2 things,

1. just read something interesting saying vancouver might take battier because he'd be able to contribute, AND because it would be good PR --ie tickets to new memphis crowd (not sure how wise that one is)

2. why was everyone predicting battier would fall to 13 earlier in the year?

------------------

10. The Cat

2. why was everyone predicting battier would fall to 13 earlier in the year?

Because we're Rockets fans, and if we have the slightest possibility that we get a great player, then it tends to be talked about a lot around here. [​IMG]

------------------
    The Mo Taylor Fan Site

Cat's Mock Draft

11. jamma34

jamma34 Member

maybe its the sleep deprivation talking, but this drill doesnt make sense..

------------------

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I would love Battier, but he won't fall to 13. In my perfect world I would rather trade all 3 picks to move up and get him and resign Dream & Mo. Well of course if I had my way we would get a 2nd round pick thrown in and also pick up Ken Johnson as the backup to Dream.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't think Battier will fall. He's pretty much a Top 5 pick. On his worst day 7 or 8. chandler could bump him down a slot or two if someone wants to gamble on a freak of nature.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My bad..the ball is placed at each free throw line.They throw down on one side then run the length and do the same nonstop til they drop.....supposed to test not only athletic ability and endurance,but also mental toughness.If someone would put up the article,that would be cool.They indicated it shows how Battier can will himself to accomplish whatever he sets out to do.I thought it was interesting,but may not be conveying it too well Jamma34...I'm trying,but I'm worn out too. [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited June 26, 2001).]

15. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Paul Pierce fell much further than expected, but Battier at 13 is pretty much ridiculous... Remember, Boston stopped the Pierce madness and they have 2 picks in front of us...

[​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

16. jamma34

jamma34 Member

haha thanks, that makes much more sense. at first i was like, there's a ball at halfcourt.. and they keep dunking.. what the hell?
    but now i get it, thanks for the clarification [​IMG]

------------------

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You guys forget that ANYTHING can happen in the draft! Paul Pierce fell to 9th in the draft, Van Exel fell to 37th. A lot of teams are talking about passing up on Shane Battier because they believe they saw his best already and there is little upside. Remember, there have been some great looking college basketball players who have bombed big time!

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

18. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

You wouldn't be talking about Danny Ferry or Christian Laettner, would you?

[​IMG]

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

19. haven

haven Member

I wouldn't really call Laettner a bomb. He was a productive starter for a few years, and is now a good guy to have on the bench. Besides, I think it was his attitude that hurt him more than anything else. With Battier, his attitude is an advantage.

I've flip-flopped on Battier for a while now. Mid-season, I wouldn't have taken him in the top 5. Now... I'd take him right after Eddie Griffin and MAYBE Kwame Brown.

His workouts have been an eye-opener. His skills we already knew about... as well as his leadership, intelligence, and character. But those don't do you much good when Vince Carter's driving around you. Battier's proven that the one thing that was uncertain about him... well, isn't so uncertain.

------------------
    Newbiehad... coming to a bbs near you, October 31st.

20. Toast

Toast Member

Nah, he's talking about Cheroke Parks.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club