1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier's +/- Against Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox81, Nov 16, 2009.

1. rox81

rox81 Member

Battier had the worst +/- of anyone from either team tonight at a staggeringly bad -15. Wow. Maybe his play stopped shut down Kobe (5-20 from the field) but Kobe's teammates somehow really stepped it up while Battier was in the game?

I was at work for the first half of the game and missed it, but in the second half, I didn't see Battier as a Kobe stopper.

I'm at a loss to explain this atrocious performance by Shane (we're not on first-name basis, but if everyone* calls Brooks "Aaron", I thought I'd do the same with Battier).

Meanwhile, Chase Buddingstar led all players on the floor with a +17 mark. Will we see Chase earn a starting role by 2010?

Is Battier looking exhausted out there, or is it just me?

*And by "everyone", I mean two people I know.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

2/10

I mean it was a good try, but the new account probably isnt going to fool anyone.

3. rox81

rox81 Member

"stopped/shut down", that is.

[How do I edit? Sorry, don't see an edit option after I posted.]

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

battier is a starter and the lakers went on their huge run to start the game when all the rockets could do is miss shots and turn the ball over.

two quick fouls later he was out of the game and pretty was the rest of the way

+/- is a poor indicator even when he had that monstrous +36

of course he will always be under the biggest spotlight

the rockets gave their fans the biggest W of the year...at least enjoy this one night before starting to nitpick about the rest

5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You do know he got into early foul trouble right? That almost never happens, he only played 18 minutes total.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont think shane was the one guarding kobe most of the game...shane played only 18 mins tonight i believe, and pretty much all of them came early when houston went down big, that's why he was left at a negative and others who were also playing at the time got it up to a positive. He went out due to foul trouble before they went on a run.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are in LA aren't you? Please enjoy as well. :)

8. rox81

rox81 Member

i'm sorry? new account? ah, you think i'm someone else who changed accounts to try to sneak stuff in? that musta taken some planning, 'cause i've been a member since april 2009. yes, that's new compared to some of the longtime posters/readers here, but to have planned all of this seven months ago is... well, something i'm not capable of.

i'm not hiding behind anything. i'm a season ticketholder in the first row behind the rox bench. you can see me in every game whenever the rox get the ball in the first half, or when the visiting team has the ball in the second half. nothing to hide: you know where to find me!

if you TiVo'd the rox home game against the lakers earlier this month, you'll see me as they go to one of the first commercial breaks holding up my index finger and screaming, "rockets #1!" right behind yao's big head.

(i'll hide my name/address, 'cause i don't want anyone coming after me violently. yeah, i'm chicken like that.)

but come up to me at a game anytime and we'll chat. i'm a newbie on this forum, wouldn't mind meeting fellow ClutchFans at the games.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

and i can't see budinger getting a starting role over shane or trevor, even if he continues to play well, he's still a rookie afterall. He's have to play extemely consistently well and the other two would have to drop their play significantly at the same time for Adelman to even consider it.

10. rox81

rox81 Member

Didn't know about the early foul trouble. As I said, I missed the first half entirely. And in the second half, as I said, he wasn't the man shutting down Kobe.

The reason I brought up the +/- ratio at all is that it's Battier's best friend, and tonight it betrayed him. (Either that or he just sucked. It can happen to anyone; ask Kobe!) The other stats tend to hide his contribution. We often point to his +/- as proof of his doing the little things to make his team better when he's on the floor. But maybe no stat can measure his true contribution. Just throwing it out there for those who saw both halves of the game to give their opinion.

11. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Battier was in the game when the Lakers opened up the game 16-2 so that brought down his +/- significantly.

12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Don't lie. You're Rudy Gay, aren't you?

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

battier only played 18 minutes tonight. adelman knows he wouldn't be a major factor anyways. it's obvious battier's minutes are the minutes that will be lost to tmac when he returns.

there is no way ariza/cbud will have their minutes decreased.

battier has def. lost a step on both ends.

14. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

LOL at the people who gave this thread one star. Haters. :rolleyes:

The man is speaking the truth.

15. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

That's basically like saying "Battier's +/- was bad so that brought down his +/- significantly."

16. ibm

ibm Member

why didn't we have a thread after he had a 23pts night in sacto?

not a much meaningful thread if you ask me.

battier is who he is and does what he always does, no matter his +/- # is -21 or +36.

17. t_mac1

well, it does say that he's wildly inconsistent (which he is). he follows a 23 pt night with a ghost-like performance. and i'm glad adelman finally benched him. adelman would always keep battier on the floor b/c his defense was so great. unfortunately, battier's defense has taken a step back this year too.

shane battier is no more than a bench player now. if he plays well, you give him minutes. but if he starts out bad, chances are he'll suck the entire night and it's best to minimize the damage by just benching him early.

18. ibm

ibm Member

he's in foul trouble. did you actually watch the games? most players would not have a good night if in foul trouble, especially early in the game.

you said he's "no more than a bench player now". let's see how many more games battier will start for the rockets and in the nba, eh?

19. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Battier is too perfect a player to deserve any criticism.

Burn Yao/Mac as much as you wish, but never Battier.

20. t_mac1

he'll start b/c he still has a reputation, but that doesn't mean he's going to get big minutes like he has been used to.

3 of the last 4 games, shane has made ONE field goal. ONE.

1-8, 1-3, 1-6 (that's excluding the sacto game). like i said, once tmac returns, the player that will lose his minutes the most is battier.