1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier trade revisited

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forenzi, Feb 23, 2007.

1. forenzi

forenzi Contributing Member

I remember how angry we all were at the news that the Rockets had traded our draft pick for Shane Battier, a few months later we realized that we got the better end of the bargain by far. We went as far as photo chopping pics of Jerry West holding shirts saying "owned" ...etc...

Its time to photochop Jerry West in a more creative way now that we know what we know about Shane. Anyone ? Bueller?

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

We don't need to revisit it anymore; we've done so 50 times! The Rockets ARE going to win NOW and again and again with Battier before Gay starts to become really productive (if).

#2 rockets-#1, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

isn't this more like rererevisited?

4. Mo-mac

Mo-mac New Member

even though we've said it a million times, this deal was great for the rockets. gay will be a good player someday but the rox dont want "some day" they want to win now while tmac and yao are at the top of their game. battier has been huge for us this season and he shud be considered untouchable along with tmac and yao

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I didn't want to be the first to say it...

:eek:

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

OMG WE ARE DONE REVISITING IT!

HERE IS FINAL SUM UP:
    95% of the people hated the trade (this includes me)

NOW:
    95%+ LOVE THE TRADE BECAUSE BATTIER IS MORE THAN STAT SHEET SHOWS.

The End. Move On.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What about the other 10%?

;)

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a photo shot is worthy. i didnt agree with the original pic of west punching out CD ( albeit hilarious) i think one of CD kicking west in the balls...or maybe just urinating on him.

9. Rockets#1fan

Rockets#1fan Member

I wish that there was a way that we could have kept both Shane Battier and Rudy Gay.

10. marciagong

marciagong Member

Shane is Da man. Seems like he is the only rocket who's never get bashed after every game. Even though he doesn't look so good statistically sometimes, he's always done a decent job defensively. He plays his heart out and always gives you 100% percent. We should chant something special for him to just show him how much we love him. After all, He really deserves all the praise and we are truely blessed to have him on our team. :)

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Why not revisit it at the end of the season instead of every week? Even your grandma would get annoyed with all these visits. lol.

12. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

lol. :D

13. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

What annoys me is that everytime the Rockets are on national TV and Battier does something good, they talk about the booing on Toyota Center on draft day. OK, we were wrong. Get ready to see Rockets win it all!

14. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

One of my biggest reservations about this trade was that it was made because we're in win-now mode, but how much of an impact will he have in the playoffs, where it matters. People criticize T-Mac for not winning a playoff series, but at least he's carried some pathetic teams into the playoffs and made it into an actual competitive series, Battier hasn't experienced winning a playoff game period. I'm troubled when I see him disappearing against Dallas in the regular season for example. What makes Battier a great regular season role player is that he's consistent and he gives the same effort regardless, there is no turning it up. How he plays in the regular season is how he will play in the playoffs and there won't be any bad teams for him to "out-effort" in the playoffs because everyone is giving it their all you won't catch people sleeping. Championship caliber teams have role players that are better in the playoffs than they are in the regular season. Will Battier rise to the occasion or will he shrink? That remains to be seen. I hope it's the former because I want to see a Rockets run in the playoffs and we are in "win-now" mode.

Rafer is another one that has a big drop-off in the playoffs.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

David Aldridge reported that Miami rejected the following offer from Memphis:

Posey+Quinn for Swift+Atkins+1st round pick (lotto protected for 4 years).

It's official, Stromile Swift has negative trade value. You can't even get rid of him for an expiring contract when you throw in a (heavily protected) 1st round pick.

Remember when people were crying that we gave both Gay AND STRO for JUST Battier?

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

that was a bad joke. Stop trying to kiss up to him just cuz he's a mod =P you're still not getting voiced in chatroom...

oh wait, neither am I...

err great joke DoD, especially like the part about grandma, guffaw guffaw, it is to die for.

17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well I was one of the few at the draft party who liked the trade I was one of the few on here who liked it and it turns out I was right. Heck I have been wrong plenty before but I sure am glad I was right and CD was right on this move.

18. baylorbear09

baylorbear09 Member

players don't win playoff series, teams do, no matter how good the player is.

19. aamir

aamir Member

I don't really think we won... nor did we rob the logo. Both teams got a player they both wanted and needed.

The Grizzlies aren't going to be anyone soon, so they got a player that can develop into the face of the franchise. He's already showing that promise, starting the last 7 games and putting up 18.6ppg, 6.4 rbpg, 1.7 apg, and a steal and a block per game. Those are great numbers for a rookie just coming into his own.

The Rockets are contenders now, and Battier really does keep our team together. Often not one of our highest scorers, but all his buckets seem to come at crucial moments in the game. His hustle inspires others, and he almost always does the right thing. Rudy Gay would be competing for minutes with T-Mac, Bonzi, Head, and Snyder had we not done the trade, and with a coach that doesn't seem to play rookies, he would have likely sat most of this year. Battier is a night in and night out, reliable offensive and defensive player. Perfect for a team looking to win.

20. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Shane Battier is the definition of a winner. Just look at all the quotes from JVG and his teamates. I have no fear he will be ready to play in the postseason; he is the last guy you should be concerned about. You know what you're going to get every night with him. True, he's had some weak games against Dallas, but I think his game is much better suited against Dallas with Yao in the lineup. He's at his best when he spots up for the open three.