1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bateer, Reid, & pick to Detroit for White

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LakerMania, Sep 23, 2002.

1. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

Detroit radio station is reporting Rodney White will be shipped to Denver for a lottery protected 1st rd. pick and fillers Don Reid and Bateer .Both have expiring contracts. The deal should be finalized tonight.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

White is a shrimp. He is much shorter than advertised. I am not impressed. Why does Denver want to give up a pick (even a lottery-protected pick), when they are all about transitioning from pisspoordom with super top picks, just flabbergasts me...and for Rodney White????

Did they hire Drexler afterall...is that it??

Kiki is not making sense if he purges everything then starts giving up his picks? Make up your mind.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What?! It seems kind of early for Detroit to be giving up on Rodney White. He was suppose to turn into a stud.

Denver could be a monster in a few years if their front court players develope the way they are projected.

Halario
    White
    Skita

That could turn into one hell of a front court in a few years. We better hope they don't win the Lebron James lottery next year. :eek:

4. crash5179

Was he not 6'10" and 230lbs when drafted last year? I thought MJ and all of the scouts were all enamored with him last year.

5. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

If they win the James sweepstakes, that team would seriously be dangerous in 3 to 4 years. Their luck and team would change real quick if that were to happen.

6. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Wow. This is news to me, but I just checked and the rumor is definately legit. I'd love it if it happened. I mean, we have a packed frontcourt (potential wise), but White could be a star.

7. heypartner

crash...I saw White from 5th row in a preseason game. I was really excited to see him. To my disappointment, he is not bigger than Corliss. Neither are bigger than Kenny.

8. crash5179

I don't know how accurate NBA.coms info is but they have White listed as 6'9" 238lbs. If that is accurate then he should have the size to be effective as a power forward. At 22 years old I would think Denver is looking for him to seriously contribute this year.

How would this move effect Donnel Harvey and Marcus Camby? Would Denver move Camby to the 5 while Hallario developes and platoon White and Harvey or just go with White?

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

If Rodney White develops into Corliss Williamson, then Denver has a nice deal here. If he becomes something better, then it's a very good deal.

Reid is redundant to Ben Wallace in Detroit. Would not be surprised to see him released and end up back in Denver, Washington, or Orlando. Bateer, while a nice project, is already getting up there in years (27?) and not likely to see much time past Rebraca.

White has been a disappointment, but for Detroit to give up on him so quick is beyond me. Denver has a nice collection of young players now - all they need is a PG and SG, and they could be the next version of the Clippers in a couple of seasons.

10. crash5179

In that case Denver should have called Houston for Kenny :D instead of Detroit for white.

11. crash5179

Maybe HP is right about White. If so then it is not such a good trade. Something for all of the Denver fans to think about. :p

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

with Denver stacked at the 4 spot

perhaps we could Dream up a trade that could land us Donyell Harvey hey HeyP :p

#12 SmeggySmeg, Sep 23, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2002
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That would have rebuilt two thirds of the Great Wall in Houston! :D

14. heypartner

crash, i'm far from being an expert on White. But Corliss and Fizer where huge disappointments, too, based on not showing up close to advertised size.

imo, they are not in the same league as Kenny when it comes to showing up in the NBA with their college games. That's purely my opinion, and I'm overly weighing lack of height and few games seen into that equation. White could totally prove his rookie yr wrong, but don't base it on him being 6'9 or even 6'8.

Jay Williams was supposed to be 6'3 by some accounts, and he is smaller than Dejuan Wagner.

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Ever seen the footage of the long jumper who's leg just snaps in two, that is what will happen to Camby if he has the play the 5 spot in the West full time, Denver may well miss Bateer's size, the Nuggets keyway is looking about as safe as Iraq!!

16. crash5179

You have just given me a reason to watch Nuggets games this year! :D

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

IMO, White is a big-time bust and did not show much promise last season. He is definitely no taller than 6'7" and does not have a perimeter game. He could be a marginal backup at best.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You can't call White a bust, last year was his first year in the NBA after playing only one year of college basketball you have to give him time. He's basically in the same boat as guys like Corey Maggette and Gerald Wallace, who only played one year and then improved. White is going to be a star but you have to give him another year or two.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think the Pistons are very disappointed in White they expected a lot from him and he wasn't productive.I think they are very pleased with Tayshawn Prince who is a very good defender and can also shoot. He did well in Pete Newell's Big Man Camp and has probably made White expendable.
    White was expected to be a good scorer but he didn't do well on the offensive end but his defense was even worse.
    He might still become a good player but the Pistons probably aren't going to lose much by giving him up.
    Pippendagimp is right about him being 6'7".

20. heypartner

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he were 6'6. Like Fizer and Corliss, in person, White is definitely shorter and smaller than Kenny. I've made it a point to check out those guys during shoot-arounds just to try to gauge how tall Kenny is.

RocketsMillenium...Fizer and Corliss were supposed to be stars, too. I were is this Corey Maggette and "star" guy, or Gerald Wallace. Why call White a soon to be star and compare him to those guys?

#20 heypartner, Sep 24, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2002