1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

basketball goal for xmas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmac2k8, Dec 27, 2010.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Just got this basketball goal for xmas

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...all/goals&start=0&selectedSKU=0458-01206-0011

Haven't installed it yet, it's been years since I actually played physical basketball. I'm 30 years old, no kids. I plan on just playing by myself to get my shot back and then maybe have some friends over later for pick up games. Most people who have basketball goals in my neighborhood have them up for kids, dont' see too many adults out playing. Just curious how many people here have a basketball hoop in their yard, how old you are and how often you play? Is it strange for a grown man to be outside alot shooting hoops by himself? I plan on playing quite a bit!

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Sell it to me for $90.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I got the same goal and it's awesome. I pretty much got it for me as my son wasn't and still isn't quite old enough yet for it...but then of course when he does get older it'll be a good goal for both of us to play on. I don't play on it as much I'd like, but I enjoy it when I do. Wish I had my mom's driveway though; my parents' driveway had a nice little courtyard to it so you had plenty of space to play 3 on 3 games and room for a 3pt line and then some. My driveway now is wide enough only for 2 cars and slopes, so I had to angle my goal to take long range shots. But by the time you get to 3pt range you're shooting on a 12ft goal probably.

Just be careful of those stupid HOAs. I got a chain net, because I prefer the sound and durability of it over nylon. And then a year later I received a letter saying my chain net that is in perfectly good condition is in violation of deed restrictions because it detracts from the beauty of the neighborhood. I'm gonna wait for them to send another letter and then respond with one of my own asking for a legitimate argument as to how my net lowers property values.

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Hah. In my neighborhood they won't even allow you to have a basketball goal in you're driveway. They said, if you want to use it just bring it out and when you're done, take it back in.... :rolleyes:

5. YaosDirtyStache

Terrible gift. I would SPIT on the gift giver.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Reminds me of my goal growing up. I hated shooting from the top of the driveway, but I was money from the bottom(which was good since I was so much more comfortable going right than left anyways and it sloped downward from left to right).

7. conquistador#11

It also reminds me of my first goal back in 1997 when I was 15. I thought that I would be able to dunk on it one day. It never happened. =(
    But the goal is still at my aunt's house and has been through a couple of hurricanses and it survived.

At Oshman's they used to sell an attachment that would go under the rim and it would make the ball go back to you. Not much help if you Rafered the shots though so I didn't see the purpose.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That looks like a pretty good goal. I would want to roll it into the garage while not in use. With that in mind, is it easy to collapse for storage and set back up to the desired height? I'm assuming it is. Also, is it good for dunking on( not that I can dunk on a regulation height goal)?

9. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I had some thing almost identical to that once back in high school. I dont know what happened, but it started to corrode near the bottom (where the post meets the plastic). One day, with the goal around 8ft...my brother went up for a dunk, and the whole thing came down.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I thought you were gonna invite us over for food and a pick up game :grin:

I think the grown men have more control over their yard, so they may have them deep in their driveway or back yard, while most kids have to place iton the driveway or street.

I'd like to pour some concrete and make a halfcourt in the back once i own a home. Anyone actually done this? Wouldnt mind seeing pics. Has there ever been a thread asking to post pics of your home court?

11. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I actually thought of doing this. I have a huge backyard and can cover half to make a half court. Does anyone know if that lowers a homes resale value? I dont plan on living here forever

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

:confused:

Anyways. That's a pretty cool gift to get for christmas, although... I think you got that 15 years too late. :grin:

13. JunkyardDwg

Collapsing it is easy. Moving it though, I dunno. It's pretty heavy since the base is full of water, and the plastic is fairly thin so when you tip it over, I've noticed it wants to buckle.

14. J-Mac

J-Mac Member

If you are going to have it in your driveway, be prepared to have random kids you've never seen before playing on your goal when you get home from work everyday.

15. RainbowPoop

RainbowPoop Rookie

It starts getting creepy when he starts playing with all the kids on the block.
    does anyone want to come in for cookies & milk?

16. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

or...

who wants to put their balls in my hole?

17. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I was afraid of this too, don't feel like dealing with it. Anyone done the concrete in the back yard thing?

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I had a basketball goal growing up and played until i was about 17, since then i probably play like once a year at a gym or something, not much at all.

19. JunkyardDwg

I guess it depends on where you live because I've never had a problem with kids playing on my goal at my house. But then my neighborhood has plenty of goals in driveways. 20 years that a goal has been in my parents' driveway and there was only one instance (for a period of a few months) where we noticed some neighbor kids (after they had been invited to play a few times) playing on the goal. They stopped when we told 'em to.

You know what would be cool...unless it's already been invented...a padlock lid for the rim for whenever you leave the house.

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Brilliant! I'm sure there is someway to lock it up