1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baseball Predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MadMax, Mar 8, 2004.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't think the Astros are a lock like everybody believes. The Astros didn't do anything to improve their lineup, and Chicago's rotation is as good if not better than Houston's...

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

even if borowski sucks they still have hawkins. and after hawkins they have farnsworth and after farnsworth they have remlinger. i think people get on borowski because he came out of nowhere, but i'm not gonna argue with the guys numbers. they are just flat out good. about a 3 to 1 k/bb ratio with a low whip, low era, and low batting average against him in the past 2 years. he was good in 2002 as a setup guy and he was even better in 2003 as a closer.

we can probably expect the same thing from clement. i dunno why that would change. he is a guy who can be dominating but when he isnt he is terrible. thats something that has been established thru his career.

zambrano might go into a sophomore slump. its something im fearing because he is on my NL only fantasy team. however, the guy is a very hard worker with a lot of talent and he has a lot of love for the game and you can see that when he pitches. if zambrano faulters the cubs still have juan cruz who has as much potential as anyone around even though his control isnt great. if cruz doesnt work out then i'm sure they can sign a veteran arm if zambrano does terrible.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

AL West -- someone asked me why i thought this division was weakening. I guess it's because sans Anaheim, I don't think any team in this division has improved. Moyer is a year older for Seattle, and eventually that magic will diminish...not to mention that they don't have Cameron anymore either...Freddy Garcia is a wild card...Oakland is still Oakland...they still have that great rotation...but frankly that's meant very little in the whole scheme of things. I'm certainly not saying it's as weak as the AL Central...but I don't think I'm even saying it's a weak division...just that I think it is on the decline.

Atlanta Braves -- just because you wear a Braves jersey doesn't mean you're entitled to a playoff spot. i don't see this team even competing for a playoff spot this year. not because they're a year older...but because they lost a key starter and their most productive hitter, and replaced them with NOTHING. the Jazz won't make the playoffs in the NBA this year...and the Braves won't make the playoffs in MLB this year...for many of the same reasons.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's not that I think the Astros are a lock, however, I think they have the intangibles to stay ahead of the Cubs. It will be a very tight race, probably coming down to the last series. It's the Cubs defense that is going to hurt them. Todd Walker is a walking error. Alou could trip over the wrong blade of grass and be out for the season. Corey Patterson is coming off major knee surgery. Their staff is great, but Clement and Zambrano have yet to put together back to back seasons. If they do so, then it will be a dog fight at the least.

The other thing I'm going on is starting pitcher depth. What happens if one of the Cubs starters goes down? They bring in Juan Cruz? What happens if one of the Astros starters goes down or if Tim Redding is ineffective? They can bring in a 15 game winner in Robertson (I know, the near 6 era is scary but look at his era in his wins compared to his losses), Kirk Saarloos, Carlos Hernandez (who had a great winter in Venezuela), Brandon Duckworth, bring up Taylor Bucholz or Chad Qualls, etc., etc.

5. MadMax

leroy --

excellent points...and i'm hearing already that there are health concerns with zambrano.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

all this talk is getting me pumped.

i cant wait til opening day!

7. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

And don't forget they lost Javy, who was their best bat last year.

8. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

NL West - Diamondbacks A team loaded with veterans (some over the hill) but it will be Brandon Webb and other young arms leading the way.

NL Central - Cubs Let's see, the defending division champs improved in every category and still have a better pitching staff than the 'Stros.

NL East - Marlins - Marlins aren't as strong as last year but still better than the Phillies, the most overrated team in baseball.

Wildcard - Astros - Last two champs also were wildcards.

AL West - Athletics - Better bullpen, Jermaine Dye = Comeback POY, Eric Chavez = AL MVP

AL Central - Royals - For the first time in a decade, Kansas City fans are excited in March.

AL East - Red Sox - Offense comes back down to earth but improved bullpen will compensate.

Wildcard - Anaheim - No Yankees?!?! Injury-filled season in the Bronx can't overcome Latino fever in the OC

world series - A's over Astros in 6
    Let's see, a team who has had recent first round troubles and a team who has never won a playoff series. Gotta believe!

#28 derrock, Mar 9, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astros were like 4th in the NL last season in runs scored... and that's with Geoff Blum taking a considerable chunk of Ensberg's ABs (which he may or may not have done more with than Blum...hard to say). I don't think the Astros offense will be a big problem.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Indeed, they were fourth... but their offense was too much "Feast or Famine."

They'd go a week without scoring more than 3 in any game... then they'd have back to back 10 run games... or the occasional 17 run game.

They DID do a better job of hitting the tough-as-nails right handers (Brown, Schilling, Morris - actually, they just beat him... they didn't hit him well), but the key word for the offense this year will be CONSISTENCY.

Plus, with the pitching they have, they should no longer have to feel like they have to outscore the other team every game. That can do a lot to help some tension.

Anybody else noticing a lot more "small ball" being played by the 'Stros in the Spring (sacrifices, steals, etc.). I don't think you can discount this too much... with this pitching staff, you just want to give yourself a lead.

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Well its the truth man. The Braves will win about 96 games this year and of course they will get eliminated at home like they do almost every year. If the Astros can someway avoid playing the Braves in the playoffs I think they have a great shot of reaching the world series.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Im talking about the Rockets now not the Hakeem Rockets.

13. MadMax

dude, the Braves will not win 96 games...and they will not be in the playoffs.

quick...name the Braves' starting rotation! name who replaced javy lopez and gary sheffield in terms of run production. you can't lose key ingredients and just shrug it off like that. over the course of the last 2 seasons, they've lost way too much.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Which ones, defense or situational hitting.

15. MadMax

i don't think the astros are a great defensive team...but i think they're clearly better than the Cubs. certainly at C, RF, SS, 3B and LF.

situational hitting seems to change from year to year.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I gurantee you the Braves will make the playoffs this season. J.D. Drew will have a career year. He won't hit 40homers like Shef did but I see him hitting .285,23hrs,95rbi. Braves haven't gone anywhere.

17. MadMax

man...i wish i could shake your hand on a friendly wager on this one. i just don't see it...at all. you don't lose greg maddux's 15 wins...javy lopez's bat...and gary sheffield's bat...in one offseason, and expect to compete at the same level you did the year before.

if the astros let that quality of players go, you would be screaming at drayton and we'd be predicting them headed for the bottom tier of the NL Central.

with philly's improvements...i don't see atlanta doing anything but falling behind.

18. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, listen to MadMax on this one Lil Francis. No way the Braves are going to win even 90 games. Their run ends sometime.

Also, I hate to say it, but the Cubs have the #1 rated minor league pitching out of all MLB teams. We do have Robertson incase of injury, but I think they got more guys to lean on than us. I'd take their bullpen over ours too.:( My hope is just that our STACKED lineup and SOLID rotation will outlast their best starters in close games.

All yall predicting the Yanks to not make it to the world series or even make the playoffs are crazy! They are so loaded it hurts. Yes, pitching is what wins in the playoffs, but they got like 8 friggin' current or former all-stars in their lineup. And Vasquez, Brown, and Mussina are no slouches.

19. MadMax

listen to your own advice and listen to MadMax on this one, rockets-#1! :D

the Cubs bullpen is not stronger than the Astros...not even close...seriously...not even in the same discussion.

and the minor league thing tells us zero about who is ready to pitch this year. they have some studs in their farm system, no doubt...but few are major league ready...i'd be glad for them to rush someone along in the middle of a tight pennant race.

20. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

:D I like it MadMax...

I love the Astros and DESPISE the Cubs, but really, after Stone, Lidge, and Dotel who do we have in the pen that's solid ?