1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baseball Players vote Jeter most Overrated

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by pgabriel, May 4, 2006.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

keep in mind this is the NY Post, but it says it came from sports illustrated

link

May 3, 2006 -- BOSTON - Derek Jeter smiled at the news that his peers named him the most over-rated player in the big leagues.
    In a Sports Illustrated poll of 470 players, Jeter was named on 9 percent of the ballots as the most over-rated. Mets center fielder Carlos Beltran was second with 7 percent and Alex Rodriguez was third with 6 percent.

"I don't care, I guess anything I do now is a plus," Jeter said with a grin. "At least I am in good company.'''

Joe Torre was surprised about Jeter being on top.

"Alex doesn't surprise me because there is a lot of jealousy about the money he makes and his talent, but to say Derek is over-rated, that is surprising," Torre said. "I have had players traded here and after six weeks they come to me and say, 'I knew Jeter was a good player but I didn't know how good.'"

Rodriguez refused comment.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i said this before about jeter here and got slammed. jeter does have a career batting average around .310 or so, though.

beltran is beginning to win out here for me, though. maybe it's all injury. but, geez...that guy is getting paid like Vlad and Albert.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

he's in New York so everything he does will be magnified. fortunately, for him he's never gotten into trouble. so for every great play he makes, ESPN will replay it 40 times a night. this gets people thinking he's a great defensive player when in fact those plays are probably routine for elite shortstops who don't get teh coverage. you could say he has the intangibles, but come on, how much intangibles do you need in a player in baseball?

as for offense, if he does average lifetime 310, that's not bad at all.

4. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Could it also be hes the face of the most hated franchise in sports?

5. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

It was voted on by all the players, though, and not just the Red sox.

6. Rule0001

again, could it be he's the face of the most hated franchise in all of sports?

It's not just the red sox that hate them.

Edit. And if they polled only the Red Sox players, they would'nt say he's overrated.

#6 Rule0001, May 4, 2006
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  7. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Could it be that he's simply overrated? Is that in the realm of possibility for you?

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Beltran is way more overated, Jeter is a leader and that doesn't show in his stats.

9. Rule0001

yea, its not like Ive never heard it before. However these are the same players that voted Arod overrated. First player to hit 400 Hrs before 30? And yet hes overrated.

The correct answer is...
    1) Eric Gagne - How can anybody say he was dominating? Not only in the NL, but the NL West? I understand he had a good streak, but still, those lineups look like they have aids.

2) Andruw Jones/Carlos Lee - Hitters with a ton of holes in their swings, with good power. Look at both of those guys OBP, its sad. Power hitters like that should have an OBP close to 400.

10. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Someone can be good and STILL be overrated.

11. Rule0001

I'm not arguing this anymore. I see them play everyday. They have the numbers, the gold gloves, they are not overrated. I do know they are hated, which is why ppl say they are overated.
    Playing in NY does help Jeter's fame, however the fact that he can play well in NY is something special. So many players falter and never are the same after playing in a big market. For example, Edgar Renteria, was the worst SS in the AL last year. He actually had the nerve to ask fans to stop sending him death threats.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

from my experience, players are usually pretty honest on who they feel is good and bad under or overrated.

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

don't like the yanks, don't particularly like jeter. is he overrated, i dunno. what i do know is that he is a winner and a leader. how many ss in the game would you pick over him?

14. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Yes, the Gold Gloves.

Jeter is the worst defensive shortstop in the major leagues, yet he wins Gold Gloves. This is part of the reason he's the most overrated player.

15. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

this is long overdue

16. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

He's a winner?

Oh I see, you mean he's been on winning teams. And that factors into evaluating him how?

How many shortstops in the majors would I pick over him? A lot actually. His offensive production is solid from the SS position, but I'm not sure it outweighs his defensive shortcomings. Couple that with his 20 million dollar salary (That's significant more than Pujols makes for reference), and I'd say I would rather have:

Tejada
    Felipe Lopez
    Johnny Peralta
    Renteria
    Carlos Guillen
    Adam Everett
    Orlando Cabrera
    JJ Hardy
    Rafael Furcal
    Bobby Crosby
    Jimmy Williams
    Jack Wilson
    Khalil Greene
    David Eckstein
    Maybe Michael Young, only because he's much cheaper.
    Alex Rodriguez

17. Rule0001

ok i lied, i said i wouldnt post anymore.

I dont know how to link it, but its the video on the right.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/
    Red Sox fans backing up Jeter as the greatest SS in the game, just like they backed Mariano as the greatest closer in the game. It tells you something when the Red Sox come to the Yankees defense.

18. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

What does it tell you?

People from those two cities think the world revolves around them, is what it tells me.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It's simply other people's opinion. I could say that Michael Jordan or Hakeem Olajuwon were overrated by people when they lead their teams to titles in the 90's (I wouldn't say that though). But it is my opinion, these things aren't fact based.

20. Rule0001

How do you rate his defense as below average? His 2 gold gloves? How many games have you seen him play this year? Your a ****ing moron to call him a below average defender esp if you dont watch many games.

DJ errors in 2005 - 15
    Adam Everett(apparently the God of defense) errors -14
    Jeter also had a better Range factor and fielding percentage than Everett.
    So apparently Everett is not only a below average hitter, but also below average fielder.