1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Baseball] Braves release Glavine, trade for All-Star McLouth

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by baller4life315, Jun 3, 2009.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

McLouth's 2009 salary: $2.5M. Yet another microcosm of what it's like to be a Pirates fan. Great pick up by the Braves, though. Even if by accident.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Good we needed some help in the outfield since Francoeur has turned out to be a disaster and Schaefer hasn't been good this year neither.

Just called up Tommy Hanson too :)

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why is there not more attention paid to Glavine? The guy has played great for the Braves for many many years, and they just release him? That's pretty classless. At least let him retire a Brave.....

This is unless, of course, they offered to let him retire, and he told them he wanted to try his luck elsewhere...

4. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

Yeah a bit classless considering what he has meant to the franchise, but it was money move.

Hours before Randy Johnson went for his 300th win, the Braves released the last pitcher to reach the milestone.

Rather than pay $1 million to activate Tom Glavine from the disabled list, with $2.5 million more in possible bonuses down the line, Atlanta released him.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/06/03/braves-release-tom-glavine/

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Gorkys?

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Thank the heavens - I knew I kept Hanson on my bench all this time for a reason!

7. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Don't forget that Glavine left the Braves a few years back to sign with the rival Mets for more money. And from what I recall the difference in offers wasn't that great. Karma is a b****.

8. TheBigAristotle

This won't alienate the Atlanta fan base at all :)

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Wait, theres another Braves fan in Clutchland aside from myself? I had no idea.

I hate to see what happened to Glavine, but I was more upset about John Smoltz. Oh, and EddieWasSnubbed, the team did give him the option to retire a Brave and he asked for his outright release. Thats what the Atlanta papers are saying. And I dont believe it was a money issue as much as they just couldnt keep Tommy Hanson in the minors anymore and they had to find a way to get the kid to the show.

I dont know much about McLouth, but last year he hit about as many HR's as the entire Braves outfiled combined, so Ill take it. I was wrong, it seems, about Jordan Schafer. I thought the kid was ready.

Hope Im right about Tommy Hanson.

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

While I agree that Atlanta is a terrible sports city in terms of fans in attendance, the Braves still have a lot of followers from the TBS Superstation days. The fanbase is still pretty big.

Oh, and I like the Astros, too. Before anyone flames me. But I grew up in ATL as a Braves fan.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Braves suck...

12. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

As do The Astros. But I stay loyal no matter how bad my teams are.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah I am a Braves fan and Falcons fan. We definitely needed to make this move because our offense has been inconsistent. Jordan struggled hopefully he can find himself in the minor leagues and come back up to contribute. Right now he is reminding me of Frenchy 2.0.

I hope with this trade and bringing up Hanson we can go on a run in this division. We need Chipper to stay healthy though.

14. baller4life315

Get ready because you're going to love "Nate the Great". There's really nothing bad I can say about him other than his average dipped a little bit this year. He's young, cheap, has a great combination of power and speed plus he's a stand-up type of guy.

I guess at $2.5M for 2009 that was a bit too PRICEY by the Pirates' standards. Of course, this is the same team that traded away one of the most productive outfields last year at this time (Bay, Nady and now McLouth) all because they didn't feel they could "afford" the whole $8M or whatever those three players made...COMBINED.

You may look at a Pittsburgh sports fan and say "You guys have the Steelers and Penguins. I don't want to hear it!" but remaining a loyal Pirates fan over the course of this despicable, as-bad-as-it-gets, unholy drought of losing seasons requires a tremendous amount of loyalty and numbness to these type of things.

15. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I love Smoltz and Glavine, bue I think they made the right choice by not re-signing Smoltz, and wish they would have made the same decision with Glavine. Smoltz may not even pitch this season, and the Braves are not in a payroll position to take that kind of gamble.

Even with a less than stellar rotation, Glavine isn't good enough anymore to be a starter for the team. Not re-signing him in the first place would have prevented this PR gaffe, which was probably the correct move, even if a bit heartless.

If they didn't sign Glavine or Garret Anderson in the off-season, they would have been halfway toward a season of Adam Dunn, so a million dollars here or there turns out to be significant.

16. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Not that I love this trade, but I understand it as a pirate fan. The organization has very little talent. Maybe 3 legit starting pitching prospects in the entire minor league system. 1 power hitter. a couple of middle infield prospects. It takes organizational depth to create a winner. They could have kept Nady, Bay, and McLouth and won 85 games this year. Big deal. Then Nady and Bay would leave in FA, and the pirates would have no prospects.

It will take a few years to get this thing corrected, but I think the method that the management is taking is appropriate. Although, its very frustrating to watch it happen.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

F*** the Braves.

I live in GA! Glad I got to watch Wandy & co. get a W this year. :D

18. baller4life315

Oh, I hear ya. I'm not trying to be short-sighted considering the packages we got in a return for Bay and Nady were decent. I'm just not so sure about this McLouth deal, though. Compound that with the fact that he was locked in long term for cheap it makes this a tough sell.

But yeah, I agree in regards to the lack of talent. After the Bay and Nady deals those two were able to net something like 8 prospects to bolster the farm system. If there's one thing you can take away from Neal Huntington's first year it's that he was disgusted by the lack of talent and weak farm system (courtesy of Littlefield) and wanted to see that change.

It just stinks that you see a GREAT guy and solid player like McLouth blossom before your very eyes then watch him get dealt the next year for seemingly not that much. I mean $2.5M for an All-Star and you can't find a way to keep that player? So what's the best case scenario here? That one of these prospects has a breakout year before we ultimately determine we can't afford to keep him either? It's an annoying cycle that seems to constantly be on repeat.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

They should have done this earlier instead of sending him down to rehab. He gave the team 8 innings of one-hit ball in 1995, he deserves to at least be treated respectfully by the organization.

In my opinion, anyway.

20. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

While I agree that it was the right move, I do feel he needed to be treated better than that. I wonder if he will try to go into the Hall of Fame as a Met now. That would flat out suck.